Koa upgrade vs "fancy" features

Yes, it is a subjective thing. I like slotted headstocks, but some people don't. I don't like too many choices because each one increases the price a bit. Assuming a uke is well-made and sounds good - like the Kanile'a - I go for appearance. A uke has to look right for me - not too much and not too little bling. I balance that against cost. You have to decide first if you like a feature, and then if you like it enough to pay for it. I wouldn't pay extra for the arm rest, but if that's the only way the uke came, and the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate.

Remember the old days when you either bought that mahogany soprano or you didn't? :D

Folks have mentioned that the Kanilea slotted headstock is different, perhaps thinner, than the usual slotted headstock found on other brands. I once has a cedat top Kala KA-ATP-CTG. Its slotted head was much thicker (by necessity) than a non-slotted model, to the point that attaching a Snark tuner was difficult. How thick are the Kanilea slotted headstocks, compared to a Kala?

Here is an image of the Kanile'a headstock (courtesy of Southern Ukulele Store, credit where it's due) and the headstock on my Enya/Kaka - The Enya is also so thick I can get my tuner on but just barely. Kanile'a is so thin it's barely there and the tuners are tiny!

IMG_20210712_173833_2.jpgScreenshot 2021-07-12 at 17.37.13.jpg

My Martin 5K Soprano is made with dazzling koa and I can’t imagine how it could sound better!!

Sorry, didn't mean that higher grades of koa can't or don't sound as good as the plainer grades. Just that, according to Chuck, the lower grades are easier to work with.
ymmv
;)

Top Bottom