KoAloha factory specials – how much discount?

zivilars

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am possibly in the market for a KoAloha factory special – does anybody know how much – in percent – they discount those specials from the suggested retail price? Or do they not have such a general rule of thumb and also make it dependent on how "bad" the cosmetic flaw is?

Wanted to ask here before I contact them – if the discount isn't that high, I'll probably prefer the "buy used" route ...

Thanks in advance for the info!

Just email KoAloha and ask what they have available. It takes less time than following a thread on UU and you'll know exactly what they have and what it costs.

Thanks for the reply, RichM. Asked here first because I suspect the discount isn't good enough to prefer a factory special over a used one, so that I didn't want to cause KoAloha trouble mailing me pictures etc. for nothing, but maybe I really should ask them directly.

Thanks for the reply, RichM. Asked here first because I suspect the discount isn't good enough to prefer a factory special over a used one, so that I didn't want to cause KoAloha trouble mailing me pictures etc. for nothing, but maybe I really should ask them directly.

A used one in good shape will always be cheaper then a factory second. Their flaws are fairly minor and discount is usually around 10%, sometimes more. Take the time to fire them off an email because you never know what they might have.

I purchased a KoAloha Noah factory special directly from KoAloha and was very satisfied. I emailed to see if they had a Noah in stock and was told they had one but it was a factory special. I asked what made it a factory special and they sent several photographs claiming it had a small ding. I received it very fast and it was packaged very well. To this day I still cannot find anything that would equal a small ding in my opinion. It is perfect but does have a label inside stating factory special. The discount was not huge, but I wanted a Noah and could not find one in stock anywhere else. One thing you might want to consider is shipping cost me $50 from Hawaii to the east coast. I asked if they could waive the shipping but they declined. Never hurts to ask. It's a beautiful instrument.

Hi Michele, thanks for the info. I have to admit that I had to google the KoAloha Noah – wasn't aware of the existence of this size. A smaller scale than a Soprano, but not much, is that correct? What made you chose this one over a "normal" Soprano? Is it harder to play?

My first uke was a lower quality somewhat long neck soprano. I have very small hands with some arthritis and was having trouble reaching some frets. I thought a soprano that was just a wee bit smaller would be perfect without going to a sopranino size. My little KoAloha is beautiful and LOUD and is a great strumming instrument. The only real sacrifice is the limited number of frets. There are only twelve. If you play with a group of people and want to be heard, a KoAloha is a great uke. I don't know for sure but I think KoAloha discontinued this model and they wanted to move it, thus the factory special. I am happy to have it. Now that I have been playing a little longer, I find I prefer to fingerpick and now play a Martin cherry soprano. It is beautiful and has a more bell-like tone than my warm, mellow KoAloha. Although I still like to window-shop the internet for other sizes, I have finally settled on the traditional soprano size with a high G tuning.

KoAlohas definitely have a great loud punch, no question. Owning a tenor, a T2 (soprano body, tenor neck) and a Opio Soprano for picking myself, love the sound of all three. Can't go wrong with a KoAloha. Thanks for the input, have fun with your Noah and your Martin soprano!

Top Bottom