Koaloha koa fretboard maintenance?

FinnP

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a used koaloha concert with koa fretboard.
Is it OK to treat it like I do on my rosewood ukes,-
naphtha for cleaning and 0000 steelwool+linseed oil.
Thanks

Naptha is bad news for any fretboard. Drys them out. Instead, just use lemon oil (or linseed) and an old tooth brush. Apply the oil and use it as a solvent for the crud on the fretboard. After a gentle scrubbing just wipe off the excess oil and the crud. I avoid steel wool because the metal fibers often stick in the wood.

I second Don's lemon oil and toothbrush recommendation.

Naptha is bad news for any fretboard. Drys them out. Instead, just use lemon oil (or linseed) and an old tooth brush.

Linseed (and maybe lemon oil too) is a plant based oil and will therefore go rancid, in contact with skin it may also have other strange reactions. As a general rule don't use any plant based materials on the fretboard, instead go to the drug store and get some mineral oil which will not go bad. I only used to do this on my ebony fretboards, and have also stopped doing this after my luthier advised me that over the longer term it may have some bad effects. I just bought an old Koaloha (built 2000) and its fretboard looks fine, so I will just leave it alone. Better to wash hands frequently to prevent buildup of grime.

Linseed (and maybe lemon oil too) is a plant based oil and will therefore go rancid, in contact with skin it may also have other strange reactions. As a general rule don't use any plant based materials on the fretboard, instead go to the drug store and get some mineral oil which will not go bad. I only used to do this on my ebony fretboards, and have also stopped doing this after my luthier advised me that over the longer term it may have some bad effects. I just bought an old Koaloha (built 2000) and its fretboard looks fine, so I will just leave it alone. Better to wash hands frequently to prevent buildup of grime.

Thanks for the info about plant-based oils. I just came across something called F-One that's getting great reviews. Perhaps I'll try that. I don't like my fretboards and bridges to look or feel too dried out. :)

Top Bottom