Koaloha ktm-00 or anuenue moonbird

Ukemaxx

Reaction score
aloha guys, I hesitate between a ktm-00 and a moonbird, I have listened to all the existing videos and I still cannot make a choice which I leave to you !! I currently have an opio concert and now I want a tenor, thank you for enlightening me on my choice, I can not try them because in Canada we have nothing except martins in the high end thx and have a good day !!!

Totally different beasts
Moonbird is loud with a chubby bottom and a radius fretboard and superb aesthetics
KoAloha is warm slightly bright non-radius fretboard and not as loud
I have owned several of each.
It depends what you’re looking for in ukulele.
Ron

Koaloha are great ukes and if you travel to Hawaii, which I hope will soon be possible again for us Canadians, you can visit the factory and talk to the people who build them. They have lifetime warranty. If you already have Opio you will enjoy the step up for sure.

yes I love my opio but I tell myself that the sound of an opio is comparable to that in koa? I read a lot that the moonbird is well built and that its sound is sublime, at the same time the koaloha is a value on .. I can not be more undecided

I have a KoAloha KTM-00. It's a beautiful instrument which seems to prefer picking over strumming. I have an ANueNue AMM3, which is half the price of the KoAloha. I LOVE my AMM3, and I think it sounds just as good as the KoAloha. At least in my hands, lol. If it were me, I'd go for the Moonbird only because that is next on my want list, and I will get one. Or better yet, save the money that the Moonbird costs and get the KTM-00 and the AMM3.

yes I love my opio but I tell myself that the sound of an opio is comparable to that in koa? I read a lot that the moonbird is well built and that its sound is sublime, at the same time the koaloha is a value on .. I can not be more undecided

No it's not that easy. Opio are nice for sure, but KoAloha are in a different class and it is noticeable both in feel and sound if you play them side by side in their showroom. Then you also want to upgrade in size and I like Kanile'a and Kamaka tenors better for the Hawaiian brands, whereas KoAloha rules for concert size. But this is totally subjective and my bias is from visiting all their factories though I was most often at KoAloha, and comparing all sorts of ukes in Hawaiian uke stores. It is unfortunate that your local store does not have good selection. I am also fortunate to have a Kamaka dealer in Regina who is also a luthier. Videos and opinions of others are certainly no substitute for trying them out yourself.

So sad in quebec city we only have martin in high end uke..
I like koaloha but less kamaka and kanilea, I don't know why ... but I really consider the moonbird, he look like more balanced!

Last edited:
You need to ask yourself what kind of sound you prefer. The KoAloha will have that typical Hawaiian vibe with the mellowness of that large koa body and the punchiness of a KoAloha. The Moon Bird on the other hand has a really powerful and clear tone with that spruce top but also a very distinctive low-end resonance and shimmer with the rosewood back and sides. Both have a very balanced tone with highs, mids and lows but in a very different way. The KoAloha is definitely more traditional and maybe a bit restrained compared to the Moon Bird which is very modern and completely in your face in terms of the tone. Not saying that the KoAloha is muted or a slouch in any way but I'm only describing it so since we're comparing it to the Moon Bird which is an absolute cannon.

As many have alluded to, you can't really go wrong with either. I would personally go with the Moon Bird because you already have an Opio and the Moon Bird offers something noticeably different. Of course, if you really like the sound of the Opio and want more of the same but better then the KoAloha might suit you better.

Let me just add that I think the Moon Birds are simply the best value for money at that high-end uke market, and that's saying a lot for a uke costing over a grand. That's just my opinion, but I think most other brands would charge a lot more for that kind of sound, build quality and wood combination.

Sounds like you've gotten great advice so far from a playing and quality stand point. My gut feeling is that the Moonbird will be nicer to play and is on par with the KoAloha.

The sticking point for most people beyond what's already been addressed is: made in Hawaii or made in China.

Its unfortunate but I think it has an impact on resale and as LukuleleStrings mentioned, "prestige".

I'd say if you are buying solely off of playability, quality, and sound go with the Moonbird for better value. If you are buying to possibly resale down the road and want a "Hawaiian Made" (AKA Prestigious) ukulele then its KoAloha.

Moonbirds are nice, but KoAloha Tenors are hard to beat when it comes to the best-sounding ukes!

Great choices in ukes. I had both (but i got the cedar moonbird) at the same time. If I could only choose one, I would get the moonbird. The KTM is a great uke and sounds great. The newer KTM have a very balanced and focused sound, very resonant, great volume, and their gloss looks really good. But the moonbird has more frills (ebony head plate, maple rosette, satin neck, and radius fretboard) and louder. The sound of the moonbird is super unique. It projects a lot and has a big woody sound with great tone. I think the Koaloha has slightly more narrow string spacing and the radius fretboard on the moonbird makes it slightly easier to do bar chords.

I got both around the same time and I play the moonbird much more. I think the moonbird playability is slightly easier with the radius fretboard and I prefer the string spacing for fingerpicking. But the sound is what pulls me most. The sound is so full with some great bottom end.

Just my 2 cents. Don't think you would regret either.

Last edited:
One other consideration for a few, is that the body of the aNueNue is larger. It is a little wider on the upper and lower bouts and about a 1/2 inch deeper.

thank you all for your comments, I have a difficult choice to make, I like the sound of both, but aesthetically I like the moonbird better. what I remember is that the moonbird looks very well designed! Would it be true to say that the moonbird sounds more like a small guitar than a traditional uke?

Late to the party but I'll be the one to say you want both. I've had a KTM and a Moonbird in concert size. The tone and feel of each instrument is different enough such that having both side by side is perfectly complimentary within a two or more uke collection. For that reason, I agree that if you're going to keep the Opio, then get the moonbird first because then you will have two instruments that will serve slightly different purposes. If you like the Opio, ideally want just a little more out of it and plan on having just one uke, then go for the KTM. Either way, both are great choices here.

Last edited:
I have both. Though my KTM-00 is a 2017 with the older bracing. They are both very good tenors. I have LivingWaters strings on both.

The Ko'Aloha is a bit boomy (though the new version is more balanced) but by no means muddy. It has a warm koa sound. I think you can push it pretty hard. I think it's more comfortable to play because the edges of the body are rounded, and don't dig into my arm. The Ko'Aloha finish is a thin gloss.
The aNueNue is a bit crisper and perhaps clearer. But to me it can sound a bit boxy. Sustain that goes forever. More guitar-ish a sound. The radius fretboard is nice. The aNueNue has a high-gloss super smooth finish.
They are both easy to play. With very comfortable necks.
Both are big favorites amongst the tenor players in the Forum. You really can't go wrong with either.

as it was said, i think i will go for the moonbird since i have an opio !! I will keep my opio concert which I love and I will take the tenor moonbird !! thank you for your answers which have helped me in my choice !!

last question, does the moonbird shine more in high g or low g?

thank you all for your comments, I have a difficult choice to make, I like the sound of both, but aesthetically I like the moonbird better. what I remember is that the moonbird looks very well designed! Would it be true to say that the moonbird sounds more like a small guitar than a traditional uke?

I think you are right. Traditional ukulele have tropical hardwood tops while European instruments such as guitars have softwood tops such as spruce or cedar. If you put softwood top on ukulele then you get a more guitar like flavour. Interestingly there are spruce topped Opios as well and the ones I played were very nice and distinctly different from the hardwood topped Opios. So as you like the feel of your Opio a spruced topped tenor could also be a consideration.

Top Bottom