(KoAloha) Longneck Soprano; Pros/Cons?

Booksniffer

Reaction score
Well, after spending most of my day online, listing to sound samples, I am thinking of upgrading my budget a 'little' bit (haha) and buying a KoAloha.
They just sound exactly the way I want a ukulele to sound, somehow; nice and clear but not thin, with a bit of sustain and warmth.

I quite like their regular soprano and the pikake soprano - but for some reason I keep being drawn to the longneck one...

As a second ukulele for a (very) new beginner, is there anything I should be aware of?
It seems like it would just be SO versatile!
And I tell myself that if I buy a KoAloha longneck, I would really save money in the long time - I'd just skip a few intermediate ukuleles! :p

I like all the strumming etc, but what I would really love to learn most is fingerpicking, playing some classical solos, etc.
(ambitious, I know - but that is the stuff that really makes my heart sing)
Would this be a good instrument for that?
Better than a regular, 'shortnecked' ukulele?

I also worry a bit about the extra length - I do want to find a good, solid hard case for it, but wouldn't most soprano cases be too small?

Any and all tips, remarks and ideas very much appreciated! :)

Edit: I think I have found a case model that will work, in one of the older sales threads, so that potential dilemma is solved!
I do wonder, though, about the gloss finish. I have a slight preference for a satin finish, because I think those are less slippery overall - on the other hand, not every gloss is glass-like, and the KoAloha version looks pretty good!
So, any input on the feel of the finish would also be very very welcome!

Last edited:
I really like the open-pore gloss finish on our KoAloha soprano. It's not too slippery and it looks really pretty. It seems very Hawaiian because of it.

I really like the open-pore gloss finish on our KoAloha soprano. It's not too slippery and it looks really pretty. It seems very Hawaiian because of it.

Ah, open-pore, that is a good way of looking at it!
I knew it seemed a bit less impenetrable than other gloss finishes I've seen.
Thank you!

(crunching the numbers on my budget as we speak....)

(btw, I don't suppose there is a way to get rid of the captcha image verification every time I want to search, post or reply? They quite often trip me up, even though I am fairly certain I am not a spambot! :eek:)

(btw, I don't suppose there is a way to get rid of the captcha image verification every time I want to search, post or reply? They quite often trip me up, even though I am fairly certain I am not a spambot! :eek:)

The captcha should go away once you have 10 posts. ;)

I have a long neck KoAloha and I love it. It is very loud--louder than any of my other ukes. The gloss finish is very nice, but it is definitely glossy and not subtle--at least not on mine.

Someone with more experience can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the longer neck creates more tension in the strings, making it a good choice for finger picking.

We loved ours. I kept it in a nice soprano case. It was right but not too tight.

Welcome to UU Booksniffer
If you want to do some classical solos, then you will probably like the extra room of the concert neck, along with extra frets. Unless you have small hands, or trouble stretching on the soprano size, you should be OK. KoAlohas are very consistant in their quality, and if you don't like it for some reason, I am sure you will find an eager customer for it.

Some free tabs to get you started:
http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/solobuch.pdf

This is a great website too:
http://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/2-standard-high-g-ukulele-pdfs/

–Lori

Thank you!

I had found one of them, but had not realized how recent it was (the US way of writing dates threw me of...).
I've not quite figured out how to get the best out of the search engine here, I think!

Welcome to UU Booksniffer
If you want to do some classical solos, then you will probably like the extra room of the concert neck, along with extra frets. Unless you have small hands, or trouble stretching on the soprano size, you should be OK. KoAlohas are very consistant in their quality, and if you don't like it for some reason, I am sure you will find an eager customer for it.

Some free tabs to get you started:
http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/solobuch.pdf

This is a great website too:
http://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/2-standard-high-g-ukulele-pdfs/

–Lori

Hi Lori,
Thank you!

I do not have small hands at all, even though I am a woman... :eek:
I always have to buy gloves from the men's department, for instance (which I don't mind actually, since they tend to be both cheaper and warmer).

Browsing those tabs right now - I can always start practicing them with the Dolphin. :)

The captcha should go away once you have 10 posts. ;)

Yes, it's gone now!
Pfwew, that's a relief - I kept putting the words in the 'title' section too, by mistake. ;)

I have a long neck KoAloha and I love it. It is very loud--louder than any of my other ukes. The gloss finish is very nice, but it is definitely glossy and not subtle--at least not on mine.

Someone with more experience can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the longer neck creates more tension in the strings, making it a good choice for finger picking.

The loudness has me a teensy bit worried (I've ordered mine, btw, and it's already shipped...); one of the reasons I like ukuleles so much is that I can play it in the middle of the night if I want to (which I often do) without having to worry about the neighbours.
But I guess (hope) that it is loud for a ukulele and that it's still a relatively quiet instrument - and theoretically at least, I should be able to play softly on a loud instrument, too. :)

I think you have made a good choice. I recently got a long neck soprano and I am finding it to be very comfortable to play and the koAloha will be great for picking. Good luck and have fun

Yep. Along with my sceptre and super concert. Nothing wrong with them, just discovered I was ukulele rich but cash poor.

Ah, yes, I know that feeling now....
Going to be eating beans for the rest of the summer!
No problem, I love beans. ;)

Roxhum, thank you!
It certainly looks comfortable to play on all the videos I've seen - of course, as a total beginner, it might still take a bit of getting used to... But I am looking forward to it immensely!

If any of you people who own a Longneck Soprano would consider doing me a favor?
I am trying to decide between two cases; one that I know will fit, but is more expensive (and slightly less attractive, looks-wise) and one that is a bit more affordable (which matters, now that I've blown up the budget).
However, of the second one I am not entirely sure it would fit.

If someone could let me know the total length of the longneck, and the width at the widest point (since it also looks a tiny bit wider than most sopranos), I would be very grateful!

Here are the seller's pictures of the one I bought, btw:

longneckfront.jpg longneckback.jpg

Photos are by Musique83; I love that they show pictures of the actual ukulele you're buying, rather than a stock picture; especially with ukes like these, where the wood can vary so much.
I simply adore the grain on mine! :love:

Top Bottom