KoAloha Strings NOW Available

Here is what I know. In terms of touch, and tone it is basically the same but manufactured by a different company. Some of our customers have tried both and they don't see or hear any significant difference. Their choice of strings usually comes down to wanting to put the same strings on that originally came with their instrument-- the same strings when they fell in love with their ukulele.
Thank Ed,

That makes a lot of sense. It's hard not to fall in love with a KoAloha strung with KoAloha strings.

Last edited:
Is Koaloha still using Seaguar Blue Label leader line? I saw big spools of the stuff during their factory tour a couple of years ago, but I haven't been back since the pandemic.

Is Koaloha still using Seaguar Blue Label leader line? I saw big spools of the stuff during their factory tour a couple of years ago, but I haven't been back since the pandemic.
KoAloha is not using Seaguar Blue. Previously they used a proprietary string made for them by Kureha which was different from the Leader line. the string's composition is not one that is available in fishing stores or on Amazon. Pops said, "I had to have my Japanese partner search in Japan until he found a source that can provide Ukesa the exact type or fluorocarbon strings that KoAloha used until recently."

Here is what I know. In terms of touch, and tone it is basically the same but manufactured by a different company. Some of our customers have tried both and they don't see or hear any significant difference. Their choice of strings usually comes down to wanting to put the same strings on that originally came with their instrument-- the same strings when they fell in love with their ukulele.
This is exactly it! I fell in love with my opio immediately. Every single thing about it. I have no desire to put other strings on it than the kind it came with. I snatched up a few packs when he first started selling them. Then when I heard they were going away I got sad. I am very happy to see that there is no longer anything to be worried about!! Thanks for all the updates on these strings!

I also like to keep the original sound of uke. But my KoAloha was built in 2000 and when I bought it some years ago it had black strings that I did not like. I replaced them with fluorocarbon which are ok, but I wonder what kind of strings were used originally on it as I would love to have it as close to that as possible.

when was the Ktm-25 made? I ask this because for some KoAloha Ukes made as of January 2021, there could be different strings, which I can get from the factory. All KoAloha's prior to January 2021 are these strings. Let me know-- either way, I can get you the correct strings. The original strings I can send out myself. The strings that KoAloha used as of January 2021 I can ask Pops to send out from the factory. I cannot tell you what the difference is but Pops says it is a small difference. Either way, it is not a problem to get either as long as I know the build date if it was January 2021 or after for KoAlohas and Opios only.
Interesting! I have a KTM-00 that I received in late January, I think. HMS had just gotten it in. Can I assume that it has the older strings? Is there a way to tell? I love my KTM's sound, and would like to keep it.

For anyone who has these strings (or, for @edfiscella :)), how long are the strings in each pack?
Is it possible to get two sets out of each pack a la Worth, or just one ukulele per...?

Thanks!

~ S.

For anyone who has these strings (or, for @edfiscella :)), how long are the strings in each pack?
Is it possible to get two sets out of each pack a la Worth, or just one ukulele per...?

Thanks!

~ S.
It's just one set.

@efiscella This is the best news I've heard all week! Koalohas are my all-time favorite strings. I've been trying to find a substitute since I didn't think they'd be available much longer, now I don't have to! I just ordered a bunch; planning on trying them out on a Pete Howlett soprano I just acquired. Also, regarding the edit feature, it appears that there is a glitch for UU VIP members at the moment that doesn't allow editing. I'm sure the staff is working on it and will have it fixed in no time.

@Spieler I was reading on another UU thread that someone asked Rebel and they use a brand that is only distributed in Asia; someone else said they asked and were told they are Worths. Looking again at that thread I see that you were active in it so you know what I'm talking about.

When I go on the Rebel website, they have two types of strings listed but there doesn't appear to be any way to buy them. I agree with you though, Rebel's strings are great. Very similar to Koaloha.
Rebel strings available here :
https://theukulelesite.com/accessories/strings.html

Top Bottom