KOLOA KU-725 KOA CONCERT UKULELE: Opinion please

coolkayaker1

Silver Creek is the Guitar Center "house brand" Koloa (just a different label)...if that tells you anything.

I had it's smaller brother, the very much the same KU-600 sop, and thought it was atrocious. It is solid top, yes. I played it for a couple months, but it was quiet, not resonant, heavy and lacking expressive tone. It was "dead". It played and handled like the corpse of a heavyset man.

And that was before the frets started to lift. lol

I have had many ukuleles, and that was the worst--even slightly worse than the Luna Great Wave soprano, which by itself is enough to make anyone want to give up the ghost and quit ukuleles.

There are online reviews of the Koloa, including an official one by respected UU member ukeeku, and they all seems to be of two types: new ukulele players that haven't yet had the pleasure to play a tuneful, resonant instrument yet (I was one of them once) and give it props for looks--- and those in the know, who found that it's a doorstop. It's best used to stop your front door from slamming in the wind. So, it wasn't that I got a bad one.

If you want an idea of how they sound, get a fresh set of quality Worth Clear strings and string them up on a ship's anchor and pluck it a few times.

For that price ($350?! Koloa? That'll be a tough sell in resale market, I assure you) there are many choices, guitarsnrotts. You have many ukes in that range that are much better than the heavy built Koloa.

You have a Kamaka, for God's sake. LOL Even for a beach uke, I'd not suggest Koloa.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

guitarsnrotts

Always curious about any ukulele that claims to be solid koa and under $500.