Last of the Days of Bling

The first time I saw a guitar played by a famous US C/W artist with his name inlayed all down the fretboard in MOP ... I hated it, I thought it spoiled a beautiful instrument... But! That's just me. :)

93335AD8-6389-4C40-8BE2-D9040ED8CCA7.png

I'm more curious about what wood this is!

The first time I saw a guitar played by a famous US C/W artist with his name inlayed all down the fretboard in MOP ... I hated it, I thought it spoiled a beautiful instrument... But! That's just me. :)

View attachment 145620
Ken, I wholeheartedly agree that inlay with a person's name ruins the instrument and even from a "branding" point of view, it's gaudy and superfluous.
Wait, did I say that as if it's a bad thing? Yowling Ginger Tom may just bite me next time I strum my uke.

Also, I know this is the wrong thread but I've been thinking about your "missing" uke that had the minor flaw with one or more of the position dots. I suppose this was obvious to everyone who was familiar with how you sell your ukes but I originally assumed the person who returned that uke had paid for it to be custom built. Now that I know the buyer had knowingly cast bids on the basis of detailed digital photos in a globally advertised online [eBay] auction, I'm even more impressed that you graciously agreed to replace a uke that had no greater flaws upon delivery than were visible in photos during the auction.

I've attended automobile auctions ever since I was a small boy. Long before I was exposed to any other Latin, Dad explained the term caveat emptor (buyer beware). I vividly recall one situation in the late 1970's in which he sold an old car through the local auction barn. Though it was part of the auctioneer's script to state "as-is" sale terms and the auction-prepared Bill of Sale clearly specified those same terms, the high bidder approached us as we were preparing to drive home.

After introducing himself, the buyer asked Dad, "Will you guarantee this car ['s mechanical soundness]?" I've never forgotten Dad's calm but firm reply. As the old saying goes, this wasn't his first rodeo. With a wide grin, he said, "Friend, I understand why you'd want some sort of guarantee. I've had no problems with the car. But, it's a secondhand car, and you bought it at auction. Everything at any auction sells 'as-is'. So, if the car breaks in two pieces as soon as you're out of sight of this barn, I can guarantee you'll still own both halves." Though it wasn't what the buyer wanted to hear, the response was reasonable and correct.

Last edited:
Last two full bling commissions half done. PurflingView attachment 145595 in tomorrow.
This leads me to a question: I understand that putting like a concert neck on a tenor body would end end up putting the bridge way up towards the sound hole on a regular style uke. Would it be possible on one that looks like this? The cutaway would all let you play up the neck.
I think the Romero ST concert may accomplish this (the bigger sound I want) but I haven't been able to find one to try.
Thanks. This is a beautiful uke. Yours always are

Last edited:
I now know why I recused myself from this forum. What have any of your replies got to do with the topic of the post? Talk about hi-jacking - well and truly mugged! Goodbye. You clearly don't want to see how this build progresses.

Seems to be some decent interest, I hope you change your mind.

Seems to be some decent interest, I hope you change your mind.
I now know why I recused myself from this forum. What have any of your replies got to do with the topic of the post? Talk about hi-jacking - well and truly mugged! Goodbye. You clearly don't want to see how this build progresses.
I’m interested to know what wood you used, and I apologize for piling-on the hijacking. The vine inlay is gorgeous and certainly doesn’t spell anyone’s name.

Sorry if mine was hijacking but this uke was a perfect example for the question I asked. His ukes are always stunning!

That's beautiful inlay work, Pete. I like the vines and the rosettes. I also like the body profile, and soundhole shape and placement.
I once owned a bluegrass banjo with a tree of life fretboard inlay.

If I owned Merle Travis’ guitar, I wouldn’t care if he had his dog’s name inlaid in the fretboard! And I don’t even play guitar. He was one of the most influential guitarists of all time—the Travis style of picking was named after and developed by him. It‘s cool that you both saw him on TV and remember it. His first guitar was made by his brother, so it’s a good bet he was also at least somewhat familiar with luthiery. Nice picture, thanks! I agree, though, I personally would not want that style of fretboard on my ukulele. In my case it would be laughable.

What on earth? People are just discussing things and asking questions. What were you hoping for? Praise and new commissions? Sounds like Instagram would suit you a bit better in that case.

What on earth? People are just discussing things and asking questions. What were you hoping for? Praise and new commissions? Sounds like Instagram would suit you a bit better in that case.
IKR? Thread drift and tangents on an internet forum?! Who woulda thought... Not like that hasn't been happening for decades, esp after a ten word OP.

Top Bottom