Last of the Days of Bling

More local?šŸ˜‚ I remember the hardware store sold these enormous spotlights that people would mount to their trucks to shoot deer at night. Different rules over there.

I met Pete when I was living in the UK a few years ago. He was incredibly generous with his time and knowledge, gave me tools, spent an entire day showing me how to set up. Would love to return the favour.

Iā€™m down in south kona, directly downhill from the southwest rift. Good times šŸ¤™
The few haoles on Molokaā€™i never felt comfortable in Misakiā€™s so they shopped at Friendly Market. I lived there for 10 years in the mid 80s. Maybe thing have changed. (What am I talking about, itā€™s Molokaā€™i!)
Being in south Kona you might know Dave Sigman, a good builder who recently moved to Honaunau area.
Did I mention bling in this post? Happy Pete? ;)

I now know why I recused myself from this forum. What have any of your replies got to do with the topic of the post? Talk about hi-jacking - well and truly mugged! Goodbye. You clearly don't want to see how this build progresses.

Lots of folk here respect you Pete, but I canā€™t think that the above is helping you at all - quite the reverse really.

As for the Ukes, well theyā€™re not my cup of tea and Iā€™d much rather have one of your Plain Jane Sopranoā€™s - well I would if I had the spare cash and you were still building them šŸ˜. When Iā€™m dead may my wife not sell my Ukes for what I told her I paid for them ā€¦ more would be nice šŸ˜‚.

Glad to see the thread is turning tp something I know about. Chuck, if that brake issue is on your truck,or any other disc brake vehicle, could be that the pads are wearing down. If the caliper piston extends out too far, it can jam. Also, there could be a rust line on the piston that jams. Happened to several of my clunkers. On the avocado front, one of my tennis buddies is retired County Ag. Avos all over are taking a beating with that spotting that is caused by a small insect. Take a close look at the underside of the leaves and you will probably see some very small, black insects there. There is no treatment currently, especially none that most of us health minded folks would want to use. It nearly killed one of my trees last year, but the tree has come back this year. When you get enough material for your inlay ideas, please turn off the hot stuff!

Lots of folk here respect you Pete, but I canā€™t think that the above is helping you at all - quite the reverse really.

As for the Ukes, well theyā€™re not my cup of tea and Iā€™d much rather have one of your Plain Jane Sopranoā€™s - well I would if I had the spare cash and you were still building them šŸ˜. When Iā€™m dead may my wife not sell my Ukes for what I told her I paid for them ā€¦ more would be nice šŸ˜‚.
These are ukuleles weā€™re talking about. They are supposed to be fun instruments. Just having some good natured fun in these dreary times. As far as helping Pete out, well he didnā€™t ask for any, and I know him well enough to know he likes a good chuckle. Pete knows heā€™s well loved and respected here. This is just the internet being the internet.

Last edited:
Glad to see the thread is turning tp something I know about. Chuck, if that brake issue is on your truck,or any other disc brake vehicle, could be that the pads are wearing down. If the caliper piston extends out too far, it can jam. Also, there could be a rust line on the piston that jams. Happened to several of my clunkers. On the avocado front, one of my tennis buddies is retired County Ag. Avos all over are taking a beating with that spotting that is caused by a small insect. Take a close look at the underside of the leaves and you will probably see some very small, black insects there. There is no treatment currently, especially none that most of us health minded folks would want to use. It nearly killed one of my trees last year, but the tree has come back this year. When you get enough material for your inlay ideas, please turn off the hot stuff!
Bob, the brake issue might be from driving through rain water. Itā€™s intermittent. I donā€™t care, with Saddle Road closing down soon due to the lava thereā€™ll be no place to drive to anyway. You must have a nice view of the lava up where you are. This is much 4th flow in 18 years. Iā€™m over it. And the avocado problem is due to Covid as everything else is these days.

And the avocado problem is due to Covid as everything else is these days.
:ROFLMAO: as are the erupting volcanoes, right? We have mummy berries and some kind of fancy-ass fruit fly that are affecting our local blueberry producers, both introduced pathogens; betcha your avocado bugs are introduced (as are avocados?). We've got ducks, they help keep these things under control.

The fancy bling is fancy. I agree, the fretboard inlay stuff is not my personal cup of tea on an uke, but it's pretty.

:ROFLMAO: as are the erupting volcanoes, right? We have mummy berries and some kind of fancy-ass fruit fly that are affecting our local blueberry producers, both introduced pathogens; betcha your avocado bugs are introduced (as are avocados?). We've got ducks, they help keep these things under control.

The fancy bling is fancy. I agree, the fretboard inlay stuff is not my personal cup of tea on an uke, but it's pretty.
Mummy berries sound adorable!

(Iā€™m sure theyā€™re not)

Reading the title of this thread, I thought it must be Pete's apocalyptic view of current world affairs. He could well be right.

These are ukuleles weā€™re talking about. They are supposed to be fun instruments. Just having some good natured fun in these dreary times. As far as helping Pete out, well he didnā€™t ask for any, and I know him well enough to know he likes a good chuckle. Pete knows heā€™s well loved and respected here. This is just the internet being the internet.

I offered to Pete an observation about his post which he can choose to accept or ignore. From his comment one might gather that Peteā€™s also more than capable of expressing a view and standing up for himself. I respect the guy for his many workshop skills.

Ukes are fun instruments. Enjoy bling if you want but please accept that bling - or even just overly decorative - is not to everyoneā€™s tastes. Whatā€™s beautiful to me? Well, as I said above, one of Peteā€™s skilfully made Plain Jane traditional style Sopranos ticks the boxes but YMMV.

Last edited:
Anyone know what causes brown spots on avocado leaves?
If the brown spots are kind of in the middle of the leaf, and the bottom of the leaf has a bunch of small black specks it the the avocado lace bug. Common, some varieties seem more susceptible than other. See pictures for a typical example.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture-2.JPG
    Capture-2.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
When
Reading the title of this thread, I thought it must be Pete's apocalyptic view of current world affairs. He could well be right.
When I read it I thought some governmental body passed a law declaring that there should be no more inlay on instruments for whatever reason. With all the bans and restrictions on materials that inlay artists use it was a natural deduction. For a minute I thought I was out of work!

When

When I read it I thought some governmental body passed a law declaring that there should be no more inlay on instruments for whatever reason. With all the bans and restrictions on materials that inlay artists use it was a natural deduction. For a minute I thought I was out of work!
The world would be a sadder place (not mo' bettah) if this happened. I would volunteer to help smuggle the materials in and get your ukuleles out to the people!

For at least some of us that were builder's before CNC and lasers, the prevalence of the use of those for inlay has greatly diminished our interest in the bling. I used to go to GAL and ASIA conventions and marvel at the inlay. Now, if I see bling that is too perfect, with the exception of Chuck's and a very select few others, I have no interest in looking. I know it is compuer done. I'm just a handwork appreciator, and that applies to any craftwork that I see, from ceramics to jewelery to instruments. That is not to say that there is not a great deal of learning, skill, and $ involved in CNC set-up, programming, and operator skills, because there is. I think it is amazing that some people can master those cognitive skills. Probably if I was younger, I would go there too, but it is not in my realm of interest now. After I attended an ASIA Symposium in Pa. in the 90's, where Don McCrostie exhibited a Shop Bot CNC in action, I could see some big changes ahead. Then companies like PRS started CNC flying dragons and other such up and down the fretboard. It's just not for me. Most bling buyers are not going to care how it was done. And, in reality it does not matter. There is nothing logical about liking bling or not, or how it was done. It is completely in the realm of personal choice to the buyer. I don't criticize the use of CNC or lasers, though I know that those folks do criticize the imperfections in my handwork because they can do it perfect and I can't. So it goes. I still, luckily, find enough people who like my simpler work to buy it occasionally. Do what you do and enjoy it!

Last bling commissions and last retail sales instruments. Two different things. Now you can measure the cracks in the pavement to check they are the same :)
FYI - that bling combo, not to everyone's taste, sells. I could shift one a month. I'm a technician, not an artist and I can do stylized. Chuck is a master of representational art - his scrimshaw work is unbelievably photographic. Different horses for different courses.

And yes, I am going to enjoy Molaka'i . The vibe as described in painful detail by Chuck sounds like paradise to me. Actually sound like home from home, particularly the reception I got in South Wales where I enjoyed daily racism, auto theft, and general neighbor abuse. You can't beat a nation that has been oppressed and abused by its neighbors. They simply model their behavior on what they know and experience.

You're right Chuck, I'll be fine, I've already got the T Shirt. And just for some context, while working in the local high school as a substitute teacher (teacher shortage meant my skills were in demand) My Welsh head of the department said to me, "If I had known you were English, I wouldn't have agreed to have you in my department." I successfully got a failing exam group through their practical woodwork assignments - every student was remotivated and producing good work. He was FULL of gratitude, wasn't he? So what could be worse?

Last bling commissions and last retail sales instruments. Two different things. Now you can measure the cracks in the pavement to check they are the same :)
FYI - that bling combo, not to everyone's taste, sells. I could shift one a month. I'm a technician, not an artist and I can do stylized. Chuck is a master of representational art - his scrimshaw work is unbelievably photographic. Different horses for different courses.

And yes, I am going to enjoy Molaka'i . The vibe as described in painful detail by Chuck sounds like paradise to me. Actually sound like home from home, particularly the reception I got in South Wales where I enjoyed daily racism, auto theft, and general neighbor abuse. You can't beat a nation that has been oppressed and abused by its neighbors. They simply model their behavior on what they know and experience.

You're right Chuck, I'll be fine, I've already got the T Shirt. And just for some context, while working in the local high school as a substitute teacher (teacher shortage meant my skills were in demand) My Welsh head of the department said to me, "If I had known you were English, I wouldn't have agreed to have you in my department." I successfully got a failing exam group through their practical woodwork assignments - every student was remotivated and producing good work. He was FULL of gratitude, wasn't he? So what could be worse?
Molokaā€™i is the best of all the Hawaiian Islands. But please donā€™t tell anyone! Living there on the beach for 10 years was truly a dream. Iā€™ve been trying to find a similar experience since in Hawaii but havenā€™t come close. There are two distinctly different sides to the island, the east end, where I lived is lush and green. The west side is barren and dry. The 2 block town of Kaunakakai is in the middle. People on one side rarely travel to the other. With only 7000 residents there is very little in the way of tourist attractions. You make your own entertainment. Try to arrange a trip (I think via air is all thatā€™s available now) to Kalaupapa, the former leper colony. And get out to Halawa Valley. Itā€™s the most authentic (aside from Niā€™ihau) Hawaiian island you can visit. Eric DeVine has recently relocated to the west side of Molokaā€™i so heā€™s worth a visit. I can put you in touch with a couple other uke builders (small kine) out there as well.
People there are the most Aloha filled, genuine people Iā€™ve ever met. But they have their unique traits. My neighbor named her kids Dodge, Mercury and Ford. I never understood whether they were all conceived in cars, born in cars or whether she was just a car fanatic. One of our daughters went to school with a girl whoā€™s names sounded like ā€œAbsedieā€. Turns out there were so many kids in the family the parents ran out of names so they simple chose ABCDE. Say it fast. Absedie! šŸ¤£. I got stories to last a life time.
So Pete, you can go. But no one else please! Youā€™ll get used to seeing the signs there that say ā€œKeep Molokaā€™i Molokaā€™i.ā€ (Along with the signs that say ā€œTourists, spend your money, now go home!ā€ ;)
ā€˜Now, back to da bling!

Last edited:
Molokaā€™i is the best of all the Hawaiian Islands. But please donā€™t tell anyone! Living there on the beach for 10 years was truly a dream. Iā€™ve been trying to find a similar experience since in Hawaii but havenā€™t come close. There are two distinctly different sides to the island, the east end, where I lived is lush and green. The west side is barren and dry. The 2 block town of Kaunakakai is in the middle. People on one side rarely travel to the other. With only 7000 residents there is very little in the way of tourist attractions. You make your own entertainment. Try to arrange a trip (I think via air is all thatā€™s available now) to Kalaupapa, the former leper colony. And get out to Halawa Valley. Itā€™s the most authentic (aside from Niā€™ihau) Hawaiian island you can visit. Eric DeVine has recently relocated to the west side of Molokaā€™i so heā€™s worth a visit. I can put you in touch with a couple other uke builders (small kine) out there as well.
People there are the most Aloha filled, genuine people Iā€™ve ever met. But they have their unique traits. My neighbor named her kids Dodge, Mercury and Ford. I never understood whether they were all conceived in cars, born in cars or whether she was just a car fanatic. One of our daughters went to school with a girl whoā€™s names sounded like ā€œAbsedieā€. Turns out there were so many kids in the family the parents ran out of names so they simple chose ABCDE. Say it fast. Absedie! šŸ¤£. I got stories to last a life time.
So Pete, you can go. But no one else please! Youā€™ll get used to seeing the signs there that say ā€œKeep Molokaā€™i Molokaā€™i.ā€ (Along with the signs that say ā€œTourists, spend your money, now go home!ā€ ;)
ā€˜Now, back to da bling!
When did Molokai change its name to Moloka'i? I lived there (east end) for six months in 1980 and the local Hawaiians used "Molokai" written and spoken. Glad to hear that Kaunakakai is still only two blocks. Once a week I walked and hitchhiked there (about 25 miles) from up in our valley to call my girlfriend back home. That was the nearest pay phone, and the grocery store was half hardware store.

When did Molokai change its name to Moloka'i? I lived there (east end) for six months in 1980 and the local Hawaiians used "Molokai" written and spoken. Glad to hear that Kaunakakai is still only two blocks. Once a week I walked and hitchhiked there (about 25 miles) from up in our valley to call my girlfriend back home. That was the nearest pay phone, and the grocery store was half hardware store.
Always been Molokaā€™i. Just like the Big Island is Hawaiā€™i. But the state is Hawaii. Donā€™t ask me why.
Just like in Hawaii the instrument is known as ā€˜ukulele.

Last edited:
Top Bottom