::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 10!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to tell y'all about my walk today. I wasn't planning on going to the woods. I was planning on going to uke with the SE Ukers at Free Comic Book day. Well, once I got the car pointed north I kept going. I could see my mountains in the distance. I got to Smithgall Woods, a state park. Got a map and started walking. It was beautiful! The smell of honeysuckle, mountain laurel and the woods. The sound of a woodpecker destroying a dead tree, the sweet screech of a hawk as it circled over head, the water as it rushed across the rocks on it's way down the mountain. First I walked a 1.3 mile path out to Duke creek. Found a couple of young guys fly fishing in the creek, one of them even let me sling his fly a few times. Then back towards the visitor center and up the 1.6 mile path up the mountain. It was hell and it was wonderful.

Since November my mantra has been .. next year I will be able to really hike again. Even last week that is what I told the NP at work. Next year at this time I will be hiking. Well, going up that mountain today I realized .. I AM HIKING ... NOW!!!!! Oh, it hurts. My lungs burn like crazy going up the hills and my legs burn like crazy coming back down the hills. But .. it is wonderful! I MADE IT! Almost 7 miles today.

I am healthier and happier than I have been in ages. I am tired as hell right now, but very proud of myself. As Mim would say .. I am awesome :)

That is all.

You are all kinds of AWESOME!!!!

Had an absolutely lovely time at the gig tonight.

I always feel, when I'm just starting the gig, that I might be, like, imposing. Like someone is thinking "Aw, crap. I was just gonna have a nice drink and peace and quiet." Just for a second, but the thought is there.
Tonight, I was setting up and taking my time a bit, having this kind of irrational thought. It didn't last long, 'cuz people kept yelling "WHEN ARE YOU PLAYING?" "I HEARD ABOUT THIS! GET ON WITH IT!" and other stuff. Busting my chops pretty good, but, like, really encouraging.
I opened, as always, with "Baby, Can I Hold You", which I can do with my brain turned off, which is good, 'cuz it's a REALLY quick and quiet soundcheck/crowdcheck/find my buddy (i.e. the person paying attention the most). Didn't have to, as there were a bunch of kids around and they just tortured me. I got to make a few "Children of the Corn" jokes (DUDE! Seriously! They were, like, staring... unblinking. CREEPY AS HELL!), which broke the ice. I did a couple new ones tonight. The aforementioned Chumbawumba song went over as well as it should (i.e. People hate it that they love the song, so they flip me the bird and roll their eyes... while singing along!) and "Smile On" was lovely.

The owner came out with a DE-FUCKIN'-LICIOUS (pardon my English... Mim, cover your ears!) pepperoni pizza with a bit of sausage and a sprinkling of bacon. Not, like MEAT LOVERS!!!!™ craziness, but exactly the right amount to mix well when you eat it, in proportions that change pleasantly with each mouthful.
And a HUGE hug and a thank you and a "this is so perfect, I was crying in the kitchen 'cuz it's like my dream coming true while I was watching" kinda thing, which made my heart swell like you wouldn't believe. It felt SO right to be there, under a tree with fairy lights all around.
I need a bit more light on me, so, instead of a spot or something, I want to get one of those old Edison bulbs, with the filament, and just a thingie you screw the bulb into and a long cord... tweed cloth covered, of course!

Actually, if any of you lot going to UWC know anyone that could do something like that, let me know, wouldja?

and I'm just going to hang it from the tree above and slightly in front of me. A bare, old-fashioned bulb, just hanging there. I love that idea.

Gorgeous night. I am the luckiest man alive.

OH! And our friend, who is getting married next month - while I'm away, sadly - is marrying a carpenter. A CABINET MAKER!
And he's a super nice guy. I told him that when he was all done with this wedding crap, that I want to talk to him about making a case for the 8-string. I want two, actually. One that'll hold, like, all my cords and a couple of mics and, hopefully, a mic stand, as well as the uke, and another that's just for the uke. He was like "Wanna do it tomorrow?" We like Alex!

Ok. I'm babbling. Love you guys. Couldn't do this without you. I don't know where I'd be but I guarantee I wouldn't be as happy!

Reading ^^^^^^ makes me happy. Yay!:smileybounce:

Rehearsal went well. We ran through our 13 songs we know and another 3 in development. I think I will bring out the Tele for the Pretenders song.

Also, I talked with the band about recording a CD. I had already made plans to record a solo CD, where I would do all the tracks, but that was before I had a band. I know I could play any instrument needed or use my Korg Workstation to simulate anything else, and lay down all the vocal parts. But, to be honest, it's more fun to do this with a group of friends. So, my band will be recording this CD. At this stage, it looks like a 50s/60s rock and roll style CD - retro. It will mostly be covers but I'll throw in some original songs. I had planned this thing out already but I may just let some of those plans go a bit and be more organic about things.

I'm not sure if I will actually have a physical product. I might just try an online release only kinda style. A lot of options. Yes, I think I will have more fun if it's less planned.

Now, I think I will go to a bar and order a mojito. Good night all. And if you're going to pee in the snow, don't write a long sentence: you'll pay for it the next day.

Keep the home fries burning.

Cool, Ronin! Let us know when it drops. Will this be your first LP?

Yay Susie!

Thanks Ronin, I will take you up on that.

Will that sounds like my agenda for the week!!

This Lil Rev is interesting. Seems like a thoughtful young man.

I took a strumming workshop with Lil' Rev last Sept. at the Wine Country Uke Festival. Parts of it were kind of corny, but he's a very dynamic instructor and it was fun.

I had a small milestone moment today. Not as impressive as Susie's 7 mile walk, but still something that I was happy with.

I've been training for the Peachtree road race on July 4th, which is a 10k. That is about 6.2 miles. I've been jogging for 3 miles 3 times a week. Until last week, it wasn't 3 miles of jogging, it was more like 1.5 miles of jogging and 1.5 miles of walking while catching my breath. Last week I actually made it all 3 miles.

Today, I felt like I had a lot of energy, so I jogged my 3 miles, then kept on going. I went another 2 miles before I tuckered out. A total of 5 miles today!! I'm still working up to that 6.2 miles, but I've got the rest of May and all of June to prepare. (Except for that 1st weekend in June - there's another event going on then).

Running five miles is pretty impressive!! Way to go. Not many people can run that far and be able to still walk.
I wouldn't say that was small. I used to do some running when the world was much younger. I never completed a 10k.

Cool, Ronin! Let us know when it drops. Will this be your first LP?

Thanks! No, in the mid-90s, I did two CDs of instrumental compositions.

http://www.amazon.com/Inspirations-Ronin/dp/B00000IM5J

41JZTW1M0SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/A-Comets-Tale-Ronin/dp/B00000IM5K/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1336278083&sr=1-2

31HRVXZ1BQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They are worth every penny. Good shoes are a necessity. I will make sure I replace them as needed. I still am not losing much weight but the inches continue to fall off. I tried on my summer cloths from last year and my pants come down without unfastening. Yay me. People at work keep stopping me and asking, "how much have you lost". Makes it worth the effort :)

Great job, Susie! If you're losing inches, don't worry about what the scale says. If you are someone who needs numbers, take measurements around your waist, hips, thighs, and upper arms, and track that with only a periodic weigh in on the scale. The inches falling off means you're losing the fat and gaining lean muscle tissue. The increased muscle mass is a good thing, because it raises your resting metabolism.

Here's the label I made for my uke. It's my "mon" (Japanese Family Crest). A coworker told me that my mon is one of the ten original crests in Japan. My grandmother had always bragged that we came from Samurai class and now my coworker has confirmed it.

Here's the label I made for my uke. It's my "mon" (Japanese Family Crest). A coworker told me that my mon is one of the ten original crests in Japan. My grandmother had always bragged that we came from Samurai class and now my coworker has confirmed it.

I guess I'll give that another shot.

GUESS WHO JUST BOOKED HIS TICKETS TO CHARLOTTE SO HE CAN DRIVE UP TO UWC WITH MIM!

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................

I have to tell y'all about my walk today. I wasn't planning on going to the woods. I was planning on going to uke with the SE Ukers at Free Comic Book day. Well, once I got the car pointed north I kept going. I could see my mountains in the distance. I got to Smithgall Woods, a state park. Got a map and started walking. It was beautiful! The smell of honeysuckle, mountain laurel and the woods. The sound of a woodpecker destroying a dead tree, the sweet screech of a hawk as it circled over head, the water as it rushed across the rocks on it's way down the mountain. First I walked a 1.3 mile path out to Duke creek. Found a couple of young guys fly fishing in the creek, one of them even let me sling his fly a few times. Then back towards the visitor center and up the 1.6 mile path up the mountain. It was hell and it was wonderful.

Since November my mantra has been .. next year I will be able to really hike again. Even last week that is what I told the NP at work. Next year at this time I will be hiking. Well, going up that mountain today I realized .. I AM HIKING ... NOW!!!!! Oh, it hurts. My lungs burn like crazy going up the hills and my legs burn like crazy coming back down the hills. But .. it is wonderful! I MADE IT! Almost 7 miles today.

I am healthier and happier than I have been in ages. I am tired as hell right now, but very proud of myself. As Mim would say .. I am awesome :)

That is all.

Rockin'

greatamericafireworks.jpg

Attachments

• greatamericafireworks.jpg
    greatamericafireworks.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
GUESS WHO JUST BOOKED HIS TICKETS TO CHARLOTTE SO HE CAN DRIVE UP TO UWC WITH MIM!

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................

So fun! Cant stand it! So fun! Cant stand it! OH MY GOSH!!! So fun! Cant stand it!

seinfelddance.gif

Last edited:
Might as well make it a quick streak...

So... at our church everyone has a calling (basically a job). No one is paid from high up to down low, so basically everyone does their part, but you dont pick, you are "called"!

So, new ward, new calling (Ward... your "church group"... you go to the group depending on your address... lots of weird lingo).

Ok... so... I got mine last Sunday and wanted to tell you about it!!! I am... PRIMARY CHORISTER! Woo hoo! Primary is the 3-12 year olds, so I get to teach them songs and lead music. In my Charlotte Ward I did that calling for a little over a year and cried when they released me I loved it so much!

Then since we are a teenie tiny rural ward I got another calling... and this is one I wanted forevery, but you dont ask for your callings, so I could not really say, "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me do this!"

Ready? CHOIR DIRECTOR!!! Weeeeeeee!

We are going to practice for 1/2 hour after church every Sunday and he requested it not be too complicated, but simple and beautiful and something everyone can be involved in!

So excited!!! And I have NO experience, but I just have always wanted to try it and there were always other people around me more experianced (music majors, etc), so I just think they were more of the definate choice!

By the way, I LOVE MY CHURCH GROUP! We are small here in Floyd, but friendly and just a great group of people!!!

Ooooh, that all sounds fun! Congrats!

Good night all. I had a long day and my little guy wakes me up early to play dinosaurs. See you in the morning.

I had a small milestone moment today. Not as impressive as Susie's 7 mile walk, but still something that I was happy with.

I've been training for the Peachtree road race on July 4th, which is a 10k. That is about 6.2 miles. I've been jogging for 3 miles 3 times a week. Until last week, it wasn't 3 miles of jogging, it was more like 1.5 miles of jogging and 1.5 miles of walking while catching my breath. Last week I actually made it all 3 miles.

Today, I felt like I had a lot of energy, so I jogged my 3 miles, then kept on going. I went another 2 miles before I tuckered out. A total of 5 miles today!! I'm still working up to that 6.2 miles, but I've got the rest of May and all of June to prepare. (Except for that 1st weekend in June - there's another event going on then).

Mike, that's wonderful! You're just about at 80% of total distance of the event. If you can do that consistently, you are good to go for your 10K. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom