::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I have less of a problem with someone getting bumped to someone who can turn a physical skill into a valuable education than I do with flat out cheating/buying your way into a college.

I'd be much less pissed getting bumped by an athlete than someone who I feel is more undeserving. IMO the athlete is giving something back and somewhat earning it. The cheater has no upside to the school.

Actually what bothers me most about that whole thing is that it isn't about education, it's about the 1%'s ego and the need to brag about what school their kid is going to.

Actually what bothers me most about that whole thing is that it isn't about education, it's about the 1%'s ego and the need to brag about what school their kid is going to.

I guess what sport team their kid is on as well.

Locally, I think the Stanford sailing team was implicated.

Kids think nothing of cheating these days.

There are hundreds of chat rooms the kids set up that discuss and print answers to homework, test, etc. I rarely have my students write outside of class any more because the only thing I learn about them is what website they chose to plagiarize
their essay from. The "smart" kids are the most likely to be doing this too.

Shoofly Pie.

I've only had that once - my home ec teacher made one for us to sample in 9th grade. I wasn't a big fan, but it's been a long time.

Hey SandChannel - what kind of ukulele is an Oregonian? A covered bridge? Mark Roberts? Kerry Char? Brad Donaldson? Inquiring minds want to know...

. . . and couldn't they just have donated that money for preferential treatment? You know, legal bribery.

Colleges have clearly demonstrated that profit prevails over merit. If it makes them cash, they will gladly push aside their ethics and leave that debate to the underfunded philosophy department.

with me, I think it's a toss up between rhubarb, cherry and pecan.

I used to turn up my nose at rhubarb until my dad made one with the rhubarb that grew in our garden (my brother planted it 10+ years before, but we never did anything with it). Dad was a great cook and that pie was amazing.

Pecan or my wife's Tollhouse pie.

apple pie :)

My favorite ice cream is vanilla too. I don't like "stuff" in my ice-cream and a really good, rich and creamy vanilla is my favorite.

I guess I don't have very fancy taste.

. . . and couldn't they just have donated that money for preferential treatment? You know, legal bribery.

My guess is that (although they are wealthy) they are not wealthy enough to make a multi-million dollar donation for a new wing at the school - ala the Presidential Son-In-Law. So they took the other road and just spent tens of thousands of dollars on their undeserving kin. Cheapskates.

Happy birthday Padre! Sorry about the cake...it was the best I could do...

FAther's+Day+Cake.jpg

My guess is that (although they are wealthy) they are not wealthy enough to make a multi-million dollar donation for a new wing at the school - ala the Presidential Son-In-Law. So they took the other road and just spent tens of thousands of dollars on their undeserving kin. Cheapskates.

I don't understand why the kids aren't being charged as well. They were complicit in the cheating.

I'm still pissed about the Brock Turner sentencing.

No pie for the padre on Pi Day. Sniff.

Mrs Pere and I have been stretched from end to end by the myriad details of daily life. No time for pie. No blame. No guilt. No worries.

But no pie.

I don't understand why the kids aren't being charged as well. They were complicit in the cheating.

I would imagine more charges will follow. People were pointing out that William Macy hasn't be charged, but his wife has, but that seems often to be the case with crime, the spouse doesn't get charged even if they knew about it.

I heard in one case at least that the kids had no idea what the parents were going through behind their backs. I suspect that's the exception, not the rule.

Top Bottom