::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

No pie for the padre on Pi Day. Sniff.

Mrs Pere and I have been stretched from end to end by the myriad details of daily life. No time for pie. No blame. No guilt. No worries.

But no pie.

We have been quite busy also. How did I find time for a job?

Bruce Bochy came from the Padres.

My childhood friend Ken Caminiti played for them.

Tony Gwynn.

(not all bad) :)

I knew that the Padre is a Bay Area boy and a Giants fan...but we call him Padre, not Giant. I tried to find a cake that said, "Happy birthday Padre" and San Diego cakes were the closest thing that came up.

The kids will be let off because they are minors - most likely. The parents will take the fall for them.

Also, my Phillies don't have a cake, but we have a Harper.

Poor James had a meltdown yesterday.

He was super stressed about a math placement practice test because he could only complete a small portion of the worksheet. When I talked to him I think he misunderstood the teacher. He kept saying "she said she's going to grade this!" and I told them that grading it, is different from entering it into the grade book. It's a practice placement test, you're not supposed to be able to do the whole thing. Granted, he is at grade level for math (weak by Asian standard :) ) but as an education I'd prefer that he be well, rounded and happy than a 4.0 kid with only academics for a life.

I want him to go to college of course, but I have no problem with the JC route. I feel he'd be much more prepared getting an AA first anyhow. What he would miss is that "college experience"

What I do have a problem with is that he puts a higher value on socializing rather than paying attention in his classes. He's figuring it out but a bit too slow for me. He's a bit too caught up in being popular and he's only in the 6th grade.

I heard in one case at least that the kids had no idea what the parents were going through behind their backs. I suspect that's the exception, not the rule.

I read another report where they paid someone to sit next to the kid and provide answers during SAT,ACT etc.

That's what I was thinking of.

Peanut Butter Pie from the Hob Nob in Nashville, Indiana
Key Lime Pie
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Silk Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie

I knew that the Padre is a Bay Area boy and a Giants fan...but we call him Padre, not Giant. I tried to find a cake that said, "Happy birthday Padre" and San Diego cakes were the closest thing that came up.

Giants fans are pretty loyal. Especially long time fans. Same with the Warriors. The Warriors have a lot of new fans of course, but the old school fans don't get upset with a loss here and there. We remember the 10 win seasons. We remember the Tellis Frank draft choices. They always gave us something to cheer about, these days it feels like we're finally being rewarded for loyalty.

The stress James put on himself is the worst thing for him. Shrug it off and find him a tutor if that makes him more confident. He’ll be fine as long as the adults around him support him like you do.

I had a teacher pull some crazy shame on me in 5th grade. I was so stressed I vomited. Set me up for math fail for years thru high school. When I think back to that day I’m still ashamed.

Poor James had a meltdown yesterday.

He was super stressed about a math placement practice test because he could only complete a small portion of the worksheet. When I talked to him I think he misunderstood the teacher. He kept saying "she said she's going to grade this!" and I told them that grading it, is different from entering it into the grade book. It's a practice placement test, you're not supposed to be able to do the whole thing. Granted, he is at grade level for math (weak by Asian standard :) ) but as an education I'd prefer that he be well, rounded and happy than a 4.0 kid with only academics for a life.

I want him to go to college of course, but I have no problem with the JC route. I feel he'd be much more prepared getting an AA first anyhow. What he would miss is that "college experience"

What I do have a problem with is that he puts a higher value on socializing rather than paying attention in his classes. He's figuring it out but a bit too slow for me. He's a bit too caught up in being popular and he's only in the 6th grade.

"He's only in the 6th grade."

It's a little early to be worrying about his college plans. We told Emma that middle school is where she learns how to do high school. Nothing she does these two years really matter...

I read another report where they paid someone to sit next to the kid and provide answers during SAT,ACT etc.

That's what I was thinking of.

I think the one I read about was one of the ones where they were trying to fake athletic ability to get admission as an athlete - the kid didn't know they were faking team memberships and stuff like that.

Key Lime Pie
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Silk Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie

PEANUT BUTTER PIE! How can I forget the Hob Nob's peanut butter pie??? Actually, Kyllo's restaurant in Lincoln City, OR, has a pretty killer peanut butter pie, too.

Key Lime Pie
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Silk Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie

AND KEY LIME PIE!

I don't really eat dessert much any more. The Hall Street Grill in Beaverton (long gone now) had amazing key lime pie. To die for. (But apparently not enough to keep the business open.)

. . . and couldn't they just have donated that money for preferential treatment? You know, legal bribery.

This is what puzzles me the most.
All "elite" schools make no secret of their various societies and programs that one is able to donate to.
I always thought it was understood that when you see a name on a bronze plaque on a building that it was not just because that person got such a great education they were compelled to donate. It is a tax break and a way to ensure their progeny attended. I thought everyone knew this.

In other higher-ed news, my seminary (clergy training grad school) was bought, lock, stock, and barrel, by Trinity Church, Wall Street.

I have no idea how to process that. Good news? Bad?

They are passing it off as good news. Remains to be seen.

Should at least make admissions a snap for Trinity's parishioners.

Favourite Pie?
I love custard pie, and the pumpkin pie I make from Nanilei's grandpa's recipe.
I also like Banberry pie from Polly's in Huntington Beach.
Oh, and this wonderful banana pie with macadamia nut ice cream they have at Monkeypod Kitchen.

Favourite Pi?
Three.

Top Bottom