Little bit of tearout in back--repair with purfling, or cut a matched piece?

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So in routing my binding channels last night I got the tiniest bit of tear out, right over where my kerfed lining didn't quite make it to the tail block (have no idea if that was the cause, but there it is!). It's small enough that I could just add purfling, which I'm adding to the front anyway, and that should cover it up. Thing is, does anyone ever add purfling to the back of a ukulele? My other option is to go to my cherry scraps and try to cut a matched piece and glue it in...it's so tiny, though. What would you do? Saw dust and glue? ;)
cherryuke-blowout_PXL_20210415_022457941.jpg

A cut piece or filler just isn't going to look right. Use a wider purfling so it simply looks like the luthier choice for dressing up the Uke.

Ouch... Yes, the gap between the tailblock and the lining probably caused the problem. Do what others have said and cut in purfling. However that looks like it would be pretty large ledge for purfling to catch and cover that hole. Good luck and send pictures.

What size is the uke? I've used the herringbone purfling for this very reason. It comes in various widths. The size needed to cover that might look kinda funny on a smaller uke.
Mine was a tenor and I had to add the same purfling on the top to balance it out.

What size is the uke? I've used the herringbone purfling for this very reason. It comes in various widths. The size needed to cover that might look kinda funny on a smaller uke.
Mine was a tenor and I had to add the same purfling on the top to balance it out.

It's a tenor. I think the hole looks bigger than it is. I am using black white black on the front, and will likely do the same on the back, so it's fairly thick to begin with. Probably not quite herringbone thick! Thanks for everybody's response, I'll try the purfling. I'm nervous about routing the new channel over that same spot, but I'll spray it up with some shellac and hope for the best!

Excellent high wire act. Sharp saw, nerves of steel.

Bluesy.

It seems to me that as we learn and become better builders much of the learning process is learning how to deal with our mistakes
:uhoh:

I was shaping a headstock yesterday...and a small lump of wood came away from the edge ...I spent 10 minutes on my knees searching for the piece amongst all the stuff on the workshop floor and eventually I found it :shaka:and glued it back in place and I defy anyone to find where I did the repair. ;)...

I was shaping a headstock yesterday...and a small lump of wood came away from the edge ...I spent 10 minutes on my knees searching for the piece amongst all the stuff on the workshop floor and eventually I found it :shaka:and glued it back in place and I defy anyone to find where I did the repair. ;)...

Been there with several different projects....a couple times in a shop that used to be a barn and has wood mulch on the ground....So satisfying when you find the right bit and it fits perfectly.

I remember when I was a young lad my friend used to draw cartoons and such and I wanted to do that too.... so I started (what a lifelong rabbit hole of various art forms that became). But when I asked him about why he doesn't seem to make mistakes and I had to employ the eraser so much he said something that still sticks with me to this day. He said something to the effect of: An artist is someone who learns to work with their mistakes and learn from them rather than fight against them. Glad I asked, as it truly has changed my whole life.

Wise words for a couple pre-teens drawing cartoon figures.

Good save Matt!

Fine job, looks great. Years ago, when I worked as a Tool and Diemaker, my bench mate would say, any darn fool can do a good job. It’s a good man that can fix his mistakes. :D
Ed

Last edited:

I've had some success doing the same, and if I could have found the right off cut from the back, I think I could have filled it well enough not to draw attention. You never know, though, or I don't, anyway.

It always feels good when you can fix a boo-boo like that. Good recovery. From the picture I wasn't sure you could get far enough back to cover the hole.

After you said that I looked at the picture of the hole and I saw how it could be seen as being a pretty substantial hole, but it was just the angle I took the picture at that combined the blowout with the actual gap between the tail stock and the kerfed lining, making it look like a job for a construction crew and not just a little purfling! And thanks.

Top Bottom