Long Neck Soprano vs. Concert

Yes, the body size and sound of a soprano with a concert scale neck and fretboard. I love mine and was contemplating another.

Last edited:
I got a longneck soprano the other day. I typically play tenor. I have played concerts just fine in the past, but eventually just went to tenor bc I got tired of flip flopping. But the longneck soprano is very comfortable, it will be my primary player

I just want to know ... Is a long neck soprano basically an instrument with a soprano body and a concert neck and fretboard? Like a concert and a soprano had a baby together? Is that it?
Not sure about your analogy...

Generally, in deciding whether to get a LN soprano, one would be guided by the scale length. So, in essence, one is getting a concert scale fretboard (length, thus spacing) and wanting a smaller body for comfort or sound. I have both and notice the slightly "deeper" sound with the concert body and "treble" sound with the LN sop.

Not sure about your analogy...

Generally, in deciding whether to get a LN soprano, one would be guided by the scale length. So, in essence, one is getting a concert scale fretboard (length, thus spacing) and wanting a smaller body for comfort or sound. I have both and notice the slightly "deeper" sound with the concert body and "treble" sound with the LN sop.
Sorry, I missed the analogy part. Correct, yes it is as though they had a baby. Thank you.

Technically, a long-neck soprano is really a concert ukulele with a smaller body. Some people like these because they are lighter weight and less bulky to carry around. The smaller body does change your tone somewhat, but that is not a big deal if you are playing for fun. Or maybe you just like the brighter sound of the smaller body, but want more frets to play up the neck.

Having a longer scale length will also increase the tension from what you would find typically on a soprano.
Is that really true? Concert scale strings come in different tensions. Many brands sell the same strings for both soprano and concert ukuleles.

Technically, a long-neck soprano is really a concert ukulele with a smaller body. Some people like these because they are lighter weight and less bulky to carry around. The smaller body does change your tone somewhat, but that is not a big deal if you are playing for fun. Or maybe you just like the brighter sound of the smaller body, but want more frets to play up the neck.
Yes the label of long neck soprano is misleading. I also prefer the concert scale for comfort of playing, and think that the concert body gives it nice balance. But I also love the smaller soprano sized body and the more authentic ukulele sound that comes with it. If you are already a concert player it can be a nice addition, or even be suitable as the only uke to have.

Mostly, if you like the sound of a soprano, but find the neck and frets a bit cramped, the long neck soprano may be right for you.

It plays like a concert, but sounds more like a soprano.

The longer scale does change the sound slightly. The strings are longer, and the neck does impart a little bit to the overall sound.

If you use the same strings the tension will be higher on a concert neck.
Yes, the tension will be higher but won't necessarily feel tighter since the length of the string is also longer. The length of the string (or scale length if you prefer) has a huge impact on how the string feels under your fingers so the same string doesn't necessarily feel tighter with a concert scale when compared to a soprano scale.

Yes, the tension will be higher but won't necessarily feel tighter since the length of the string is also longer. The length of the string (or scale length if you prefer) has a huge impact on how the string feels under your fingers so the same string doesn't necessarily feel tighter with a concert scale when compared to a soprano scale.
Does this apply to the force needed to barre a chord properly with the fretting hand? This is where the string tension is of interest to me and why I avoid tenors.

Does this apply to the force needed to barre a chord properly with the fretting hand? This is where the string tension is of interest to me and why I avoid tenors.
For the same brand of strings, tenor strings are usually noticeably thicker (especially in the G and A strings), while concert and soprano strings are usually similar or the same diameter. However, many brands have thinner lower tension strings that you can use if you hand strength is not great.

Top Bottom