long time guitar and uke player

oscar99

Reaction score
Recently bought a banjo uke called 'Sidekick'. Thought i would love the instrument but find it impossible to keep in tune. I've even tightened the pegs to no avail.
Advice sought
Oscar

How long have you had it? New strings usually take a day or two to stretch and hold tuning for longer than a minute or two. THe first day, you have to keep re-tuning throughout the day to stretch them. Nearly impossible to play anything the first day. Tune up a half or whole step too much when you go to bed. The second day, they will hold tune for a short time. So you'll have to re-tune a lot to play or practice anything,

By the third day, your string should hold tune for a n hour or so. Depending on the strings, maybe even most of the day.

Sometimes strings can take a week or two to completely settle down. But you can play them just fine during that period.

The strings that came with your Sidekick may be cheap Nylon knockoffs. One of the best upgrades you can make for your instrument is to buy some good quality strings for it. (Aquila, D'Addario, Worth, etc.)

Hello and welcome. Today I talked to an acquaintance who started playing ukulele in 1951, the year I was born! He still plays, almost every day, in nursing homes, making people smile. He also tells pretty bad jokes....

Hello and welcome. Today I talked to an acquaintance who started playing ukulele in 1951, the year I was born! He still plays, almost every day, in nursing homes, making people smile. He also tells pretty bad jokes....
It’s like drinking water. You can’t go without it. Picking up your instrument, ( mine are basses, guitars and mandolin, soon ukulele) is automatic. Just to feel it in your hands and listen to what it sings to you. Play some chords and then search out others to begin your quest for your perfect composition (if only for ourselves). I’ve enjoyed this addiction since the late 60’s. Glad your friend had also.

Top Bottom