Looking at a Kala KA-SMHT-SC - Thoughts?

tluxtele

I have the opportunity to pick one of these up, with a good case, for about $150. I had been looking at saving up for the same style Kala with a Spruce top. I like the idea of a cutaway that doesn’t have a pup already installed.

Seems like an ok deal. Any thoughts? Anything I should look out for?

Larry Usselman

UU VIP
UU VIP
Assuming it's in excellent condition, I think that's a very good price. I like the sound of an all-mahogany instrument (such as my Tiny Tenor), so I expect this to have a similar, sweet sound.

Here's a nice sound sample from HMS.

clear

I have the opportunity to pick one of these up, with a good case, for about $150. I had been looking at saving up for the same style Kala with a Spruce top. I like the idea of a cutaway that doesn’t have a pup already installed.

Seems like an ok deal. Any thoughts? Anything I should look out for?
That's a good price, assuming the uke has no issues.

Here's a sound sample

Things to look out for....

The first thing is make sure the seller's description matches the condition. If there's any discrepancy, walk away (esp. since this isn't the exact uke you want anyway).

Check for dry and wet issues

rorym

I had one of these for a while. I almost wish I had not sold it - it will sound wonderful with Worth Browns.

tluxtele

Well, I picked it up yesterday. The owner had bought it from theukulelesite and had them set it up for him. He included a humidifier, some song books and two sets of strings. The uke and case are in great shape. I'm more than pleased with my purchase. Honestly, a little blown away.

@Snargle, thanks for that link. I looked on YouTube and wasn't able to find much. That sound sample got me excited and I can say is quite accurate.

@clear, thanks for those links. I read over them. I've been playing for a number of years and have things I look for... but those were well written articles to remind me of some of those things... as well as some new ones. Most of my instruments have been solid bodies. Those links helped put me a little more at ease.

Anyway, thanks for the help.