Looking for a tenor under $700.00

bilbo56

About me; I'm still a beginner (65 years old), but know I'm going to stick with it and want an upgrade from my Cordoba CM20.
Right now, I'm just a strummer, but will want to try finger picking eventually.
The shops around me only have inexpensive instruments, so it's tough to try any I'm interested in.
Playability is more important than the wood or cosmetics.
Here are some I have researched. Can anyone point out the pros and cons on these? Which would you buy, or recommend an alternative?
I'm not adverse to buying used but don't have enough knowledge yet to make an informed decision.
Thanks

KOALOHA OPIO TENOR ALL SOLID ACACIA KTO-10 (693.00 Mims)
Pono Spruce Top Acacia Deluxe Tenor (The Ukulele Site (663.00)
ANueNue AMM3 African Mahogany Tenor Ukulele (Currently unavailable 699.00)

Larry Usselman

UU VIP
UU VIP
I've been super impressed with the aNueNue AMM3. I've never played one, but every review I've read (and videos I've watched) have been fantastic. There's nothing wrong with your other two choices, but if I was choosing, it would be the AMM3. I have a Moon Bird tenor and I can vouch for the quality of workmanship, attention to detail, and the exquisite sound.

robinboyd

Of the 3 you mentioned, I love the feel and playability of the Opio. I like the look of the Pono, but I was not impressed with the sound quality when I tried one at the shop. I know nothing about the Anuenue.

Have you thought about Mele ukes? (https://meleukulele.com/product/mele-koa-top-collection/) That's what I went for when I was looking for a uke in a similar price range. Their build quality can be a bit uneven, but the sound and playability are great. I didn't get a Koa top when I bought mine, but I played one and it sounded great.

Cadia

About me; I'm still a beginner (65 years old), but know I'm going to stick with it and want an upgrade from my Cordoba CM20.
Right now, I'm just a strummer, but will want to try finger picking eventually.
The shops around me only have inexpensive instruments, so it's tough to try any I'm interested in.
Playability is more important than the wood or cosmetics.
Here are some I have researched. Can anyone point out the pros and cons on these? Which would you buy, or recommend an alternative?
I'm not adverse to buying used but don't have enough knowledge yet to make an informed decision.
Thanks

KOALOHA OPIO TENOR ALL SOLID ACACIA KTO-10 (693.00 Mims)
Pono Spruce Top Acacia Deluxe Tenor (The Ukulele Site (663.00)
ANueNue AMM3 African Mahogany Tenor Ukulele (Currently unavailable 699.00)
The aNueNue AMM3. Best tenor in your price range, in my opinion, and better than many that cost more. It sounds wonderful, is light and beautifully built, and is easy to play. It's very, very nice fingerpicked. Mahogany like this sounds really nice. Granted, this is only my opinion. I have tenors from Pono, Rebel, Romero, KoAloha, and Kanile'a. I love all of them, but the AMM3 is one of my favorites to play. I bought it on a whim, when I was waiting to get a Moonbird, but couldn't justify spending that much at that time. The AMMs came in, and at $599 including shipping it seemed like no-brainer. I was amazed at how nice this uke sounded, looked, and played. I don't think you can go wrong with it, even though it's gone up to $699. And it's worth waiting for it to come in.

As an aside, there's nothing wrong with a fairly new player buying a nice uke that will grow with you, and give you a quality sound that you won't get from cheaper ukes. It inspires you to play more and learn more.

Last edited:
You didnt list it as a consideration, but this is the price point for the kala elite mahogany tenor. I LOVE the sound and feel of mine and I think the California made Elite line is criminally underrated, especially if you like a big full sound closer to a guitar.

bilbo56

You didnt list it as a consideration, but this is the price point for the kala elite mahogany tenor. I LOVE the sound and feel of mine and I think the California made Elite line is criminally underrated, especially if you like a big full sound closer to a guitar.

Is that model the 1 KOA-T? I looked at that but it was $900.00.

Looks like kala is sold out, but plenty on reverb and other places, maybe even this forum.

Joralin

If it's about playability I can recommend the Ayers Uluru Ukuleles.

They also have a very nice sound, it's a bit more "earthy" than some other brands in my opinion

They have a thin, (but not too thin) neck profile and very low frets. I have a AMM2 also.

Even if I love the look and tone of the Anuenues, they have quite high frets and are not as nicely playable as the ulurus.

Don't get me wrong, they don't have a bad playability, just not as good as the uluru.

My uluru Nehe 3 is nearly as good as a moonbird, but has other tonal abillities.

Unfortunately still a bit more expensive than your budget. But there are other nice models

Cadia

They also have a very nice sound, it's a bit more "earthy" than some other brands in my opinion

They have a thin, (but not too thin) neck profile and very low frets. I have a AMM2 also.

Even if I love the look and tone of the Anuenues, they have quite high frets and are not as nicely playable as the ulurus.

Don't get me wrong, they don't have a bad playability, just not as good as the uluru.

My uluru Nehe 3 is nearly as good as a moonbird, but has other tonal abillities.

Unfortunately still a bit more expensive than your budget. But there are other nice models
The OP is looking for a tenor. I have the AMM3, and I don't find the frets noticeably high. I like low action as well, as I have arthritis. One of my Romeros is a little too low in the frets and I find that bothersome. Reviews I've read seem to be more glowing about the tenor than the concert, so perhaps there is a noticable difference in the smaller size. Ulurus have gotten very positive feedback at World of Ukes, and they sound pretty nice in the upper price range. I have a Maestro which is similar. But these are comparing apples to bananas, as they're more expensive than the OP's $700 budget.

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP