Looking for Baritone Uke...

TDE

Reaction score
I have a tenor Kanile’a that I truly enjoy and thought it also be great to also have a good baritone. The budget is $600-800. Would like to find a “quality” used instrument comparable to my Kanile’a. Anyone out there have a really good baritone they are ready to part with???
Tim

I completely agree with the suggestion for a Pono. Super sound, super playability, and -mine- flawless build quality. My first one was a solid Acadia, my current is a solid mahogany with western red cedar sound board. I've also played the all-mahogany model. Any of those should fit in your price range as well. FWIW, I've also played the budget Kala model, spruce top with the paduk binding. Nice, but too many build flaws and pretty heavy.

"Really good" combined with $600-$800, Pono is the first brand that comes to mind. Good luck with your search ~
I totally agree... but you might want to try this first: Put a set of Pepe Romeros "Baby Baritone" strings onto you tenor and see what you think!

I love my mahogany Pono, though. They are awesome!

First I am a baritone player so this is a subject I feel comfortable with. I might sell my Kanile’a bari I just don’t think I would sell it for even the top of your range. I am second owner. i Paid more and I would have to think long and hard before taking a loss or deciding if I am ready to let it go. It has been my go to baritone at the beach cottage and I won’t see it until Friday as we only go there on weekends. If you haven’t found anything else I will consider. I play mostly baritone and I do not agree about Pono. Yes for the price but it just is not the same animal in terms of sound as the Kanile’a. Personally I do not bond with the Pono baritones but I come from a guitar background and I play a Martin baritone as my go to instrument. The Kanile’a was purchased as it sort of just came my way at the right time and I have a Kanile’a longneck Soprano that I absolutely love. It was the bridge for me to playing tenor. I still am more of a baritone player but I am growing fond of ukulele and will try to learn anything with four strings that doesn’t use a bow. I have Owned many baritones I actually would recommend looking for a vintage Favilla or a LoPrinzi which would surly be in your price range and at a much more friendly price, and I think you would get just as much out if either and it would be less of a financial investment. I recently sold my LoPrinzi as it was not getting played since acquiring the Kanile’a and it was a wonderful baritone The new owner is super happy with it as was I until I bonded with the Kanile’a . I now have a new ukulele friend from that sale and I sold it for exactly what I paid for it so it held it’s value. I also bought a ‘70’s Favilla from a member here and placed it with someone else who was ready for the move from guitar to baritone ukulele and he could not be happier. I again simply sold it for exactly what I had paid for it. I kind of get the feeling that a lot of us like the idea of having others bond with instruments. Sometimes it takes time for that to happen. If you feel that you have bonded with the Kanile’a tenor a Kanile’a baritone may be the next step or you might try to find something less expensive that you can try out and always resell for your investment as you advance in the world of baritone ukulele. Putting the wire out here will likely have many on the lookout for you and hopefully someone has the right baritone that is the right fit for you.

Last edited:
I thought I'd add my 2 cents here...I agree with most everything posted so far. In your price range , a new Pono would be tough to beat. In the used area, a Loprinzi would be a great choice but only if it were the model with the multi-piece neck. A crack free Favilla is a great ukulele. Of the Hawiaan "K" baritones, none of which would be in your price range, the Kamaka would be my choice. it's way, way louder than the Kanilea by virture of a deeper body and the Kanilea has a side dot on the 9th fret which I hate. A 19" scale tenor might be considered and can easily be tuned DGBE using the Pepe Romero strings mentioned earlier. With this model, the Kanilea outperforms the Kamaka but these would not be in your price range either but the Kanilea, curiously has the side dot on the 10th fret.
What I would buy right now, in your price range would be one of the 2 Kelali solid wood baritones for sale on one of the sites. The seller is honest, stands by his work and makes a great, US made, all solid wood ukulele that will blow the socks off many of the well-known brands...like I said...2 cents worth of my experiences and thoughts.

Last edited:
If you do decide to spend a bit more, I have a 2018 Kanilea (ebony headstock, and newest bracings) with a case, that I am looking to part with. I am in Europe though, which could mess up plans depending on import taxes.

I would join my fellow baritone brothers in recommending a good vintage Favilla -- although I am only acquainted with the pre-1953 "Favilla Bros." version--

There is a beautiful Favilla bari on Fleamarket site right now! It looks awesome. THe seller has a mint soprano as well.
I vouch for Favilla quality and tone... very light and lots of projection.
Keep in mind these are "vintage" instruments which can be an added value.
default.asp

I have a tenor Kanile’a that I truly enjoy and thought it also be great to also have a good baritone. The budget is $600-800. Would like to find a “quality” used instrument comparable to my Kanile’a. Anyone out there have a really good baritone they are ready to part with???
Tim
I haven't played one. But, the Bruce Wei baritone ukes on etsy look nice. Seems to be in your budget.

I thought I'd add my 2 cents here...I agree with most everything posted so far. In your price range , a new Pono would be tough to beat. In the used area, a Loprinzi would be a great choice but only if it were the model with the multi-piece neck. A crack free Favilla is a great ukulele. Of the Hawiaan "K" baritones, none of which would be in your price range, the Kamaka would be my choice. it's way, way louder than the Kanilea by virture of a deeper body and the Kanilea has a side dot on the 9th fret which I hate. A 19" scale tenor might be considered and can easily be tuned DGBE using the Pepe Romero strings mentioned earlier. With this model, the Kanilea outperforms the Kamaka but these would not be in your price range either but the Kanilea, curiously has the side dot on the 10th fret.
What I would buy right now, in your price range would be one of the 2 Kelali solid wood baritones for sale on one of the sites. The seller is honest, stands by his work and makes a great, US made, all solid wood ukulele that will blow the socks off many of the well-known brands...like I said...2 cents worth of my experiences and thoughts.
Why a 3 piece neck?

Why a 3 piece neck?
I have had 2 LoPrinzi baritones, cherry and mahogany...both with a very thin neck profile. the necks were very stable and straight. The only one I've seen with a solid wood neck was warped. LoPrinzi only offers the laminated neck now.

I'm playing a borrowed LoPrinzi baritone now, it sure is sweet. My pinkie finger is too short to make some of the chords, so I'll have to make up some cheat chords.

I love the baritone but have a look at tenor guitars tuned DGBE. It's another option.

I love the baritone but have a look at tenor guitars tuned DGBE. It's another option.
my Collings and my 8 string Beard are tuned DGBE. You need to adjust to a slightly narrower neck but I go back and forth all the time without too much bother

I'm playing a borrowed LoPrinzi baritone now, it sure is sweet. My pinkie finger is too short to make some of the chords, so I'll have to make up some cheat chords.
My LoPrinzi's had a flat neck profile and a wide nut...almost 1.5 but had kinda close spacing at the bridge. they were well built and fairly loud.

I own several baritones. If you are mainly a strummer, I think the vintage mahogany types work well. They can have a mellow tone that’s beautiful. Fun for the blues as well. But if you do a lot of solo finger picking, I would suggest a spruce or cedar top. All can be lovely. Just depends on what your looking for and your style of play. Ive not found the enrty level pono baritones to my liking, but their higher ends are lovely. To each their own. Discovery is part of the journey. I really like my caraboa flight baritone. Solid spruce top with solid mango back and sides.

Just to show how subjective these things are: I own three Kanilea ukes (one of which is a baritone) and currently eight instruments from Pono in different sizes and wood options. I actually prefer most of the Ponos to the Kanileas, especially the baritone. The Kanilea baritone sounds thin in comparison to my Pono RBSHC, intonation on it is wacky with most string sets (making it hard to improve the sound with different strings), and I also prefer the Pono's workmanship. Based on this experience, I would not buy another Kanilea and have been thinking of selling the baritone if it wasn't for the huge financial loss (and I wouldn't want to lie about how underwhelmed I am with it).

Top Bottom