Looking for honest feedback

This is a bit of a slippery slope. Whilst a $150 laminate uke can be played heroically and therefore sound good for what it is, a $2k finely built all wood ukulele played in the same manner will sound different- dare I say, much better.
Can't argue with you there, E_n_H. I think it's maybe about the "tone" factor more than anything else. On the other hand, one of my favorite acoustic guitarists, Ed Gerhard, did an album several years ago called "House of Guitars", on which he showcased the endearing tone of inexpensive, somewhat banged up "pawnshop" guitars, using them just as he found them-- no string changes, no setup tweaks. One particular song on that album, Paul McCartney's "Junk", which Ed does as a solo instrumental in standard tuning, really tugs at my heartstrings. I hope no one minds if I paste it in here:

I have to say that I do appreciate sound samples for what they are. I recognize there are umpteen gazillion factors (yes, technical terminology there) which affect the end result, but I still like to be able to listen to at least one version of what that instrument might sound like. Of course, it'll be completely different in my hands and in my living room than in someone else's, but I still appreciate the opportunity to hear a sample.

And, for what it's worth, it's exactly that: a sample. This is not necessarily an accurate rendition of exactly how the instrument will always sound, but a guideline for what it might sound like (at least under those conditions, and with that recording equipment, and with that player... etc.).

I have to say that I do appreciate sound samples for what they are. I recognize there are umpteen gazillion factors (yes, technical terminology there) which affect the end result, but I still like to be able to listen to at least one version of what that instrument might sound like. Of course, it'll be completely different in my hands and in my living room than in someone else's, but I still appreciate the opportunity to hear a sample.

And, for what it's worth, it's exactly that: a sample. This is not necessarily an accurate rendition of exactly how the instrument will always sound, but a guideline for what it might sound like (at least under those conditions, and with that recording equipment, and with that player... etc.).
Allow me to second that!

its awesome to see the community stand together
I agree, UkeSlacker. And it appears that once again, on your topic of the relative value of sound samples, there are as many opinions as there are people-- as with nearly every topic! I guess the key is to listen to what the other person has to say, try to appreciate where they're coming from, and consider the possibility that "they just might have a point." Of course that doesn't mean we'll always come around to the other person's point of view, but at least it's a good way of helping us to not become closed-minded. I must say, there is often "vigorous debate" on here, but I enjoy it because it can be enlightening and it's almost always done with mutual respect.

I agree, UkeSlacker. And it appears that once again, on your topic of the relative value of sound samples, there are as many opinions as there are people-- as with nearly every topic! I guess the key is to listen to what the other person has to say, try to appreciate where they're coming from, and consider the possibility that "they just might have a point." Of course that doesn't mean we'll always come around to the other person's point of view, but at least it's a good way of helping us to not become closed-minded. I must say, there is often "vigorous debate" on here, but I enjoy it because it can be enlightening and it's almost always done with mutual respect.
Well said brother.

I’m a newcomer to the UU community and I’m my short time here its inspiring to see ukulele culture thrive here. It’s awesome to see uke culture alive.

The last time I sold a ukulele here, someone asked me for a very specific sound sample. They specified what notes they wanted me to play and in what sequence. I explained that I don't really have anything decent to record with, but the quality of the recording wasn't that important to them. I'm not sure what they were looking/listening for with that sequence of notes, but it did occur to me that perhaps it was a way to reassure them that I wasn't a scammer and really had the ukulele. These days, I think that's a sensible request, if that was their goal. Even if that wasn't their goal, they had a reason for making that request, so why not do it?

I think that no matter how something is recorded, we can get some idea of the sound from just a few chords and single notes played slowly. How is the sustain? Overtones? Intonation? That's some of what I'd be listening for, even if it was just recorded on someone's phone. Nothing beats playing a ukulele in person, but most of us can't do that when purchasing a ukulele and have to rely on photos and sound samples.
that’s where I stand when I say stop it. Stop asking for sounds clips. It’s silly to ask for certain notes etc.

I can see where sound clips would help the buyer see that the uke had intonation problems.

but I would hope that the integrity of the sale would focus on the needs of the buyer without the banter of others that have no intention to buy.

that’s where I stand when I say stop it. Stop asking for sounds clips. It’s silly to ask for certain notes etc.

I can see where sound clips would help the buyer see that the uke had intonation problems.

but I would hope that the integrity of the sale would focus on the needs of the buyer without the banter of others that have no intention to buy.
We are a community of commentators, here, and the culture on this forum, as it currently stands, includes conversational banter and back & forth, sometimes sidetracking a topic beyond the intention of the OP (oh, so guilty...oops); so if you'd prefer not to entice this community to comments, then it's best to offer your sale on a different platform. There are, certainly, other platforms available where there is no discussion attached to the sale. We even have this notice in our "How to buy and sell on the Marketplace" post:

Discussion of ads​

Ukulele Underground is primarily a discussion forum, and that extends to the Marketplace. Don't be surprised if people discuss the ukulele you have for sale in your thread. If you've posted good pictures they're likely to gush over how cool the instrument is and how lucky the prospective buyer will be!

While not explicitly stated, there will also be comments about provenance, discussion about the builder, or similar ukuleles owned by others, and, as you've noticed, requests for sound clips.

If the seller doesn't wish (or doesn't have the technology) to provide a sound clip, where's the harm in someone asking for it and the seller denying it? I perceive from your comments that you feel that it doesn't do the buyer or the seller any good, and perhaps is an extra hurdle that the seller ought not to have to be subjected to (and the mere asking is dross, and unnecessary harassment in the sale thread). The person asking for the sound clip may not be in the market for that instrument, but if the seller provides a clip and then a buyer decides yes! this is the instrument for me on that last little piece of information, where's the harm?

Again, if you're looking to sell without any input from the community, perhaps our Marketplace is not the appropriate venue for your sale.

Regardless of that, you feel that sound clips are pointless and an unnecessary clutter to a sales thread. Some people agree. Some people disagree. Insufficient people have complained about it to make it something that we'll modify the rules of engagement on the Marketplace over, at least at this point. If more people indicate that the request for sound clips is unacceptable in the Marketplace, we'll certainly reevaluate that.

That was gorgeous, Bill. Anybody know of a ukulele arrangement? Sorry to veer off-topic, by the way.

Well, since we're here, I happen to know of an ukulele arrangement very much in keeping with the guitar arrangement above, by Vasco at UkuleleCheats. Really lovely, I think, and quite approachable!

I say: stop asking people to stop asking for sound clips! ;)

We are a community of commentators, here, and the culture on this forum, as it currently stands, includes conversational banter and back & forth, sometimes sidetracking a topic beyond the intention of the OP (oh, so guilty...oops); so if you'd prefer not to entice this community to comments, then it's best to offer your sale on a different platform. There are, certainly, other platforms available where there is no discussion attached to the sale. We even have this notice in our "How to buy and sell on the Marketplace" post:

While not explicitly stated, there will also be comments about provenance, discussion about the builder, or similar ukuleles owned by others, and, as you've noticed, requests for sound clips.

If the seller doesn't wish (or doesn't have the technology) to provide a sound clip, where's the harm in someone asking for it and the seller denying it? I perceive from your comments that you feel that it doesn't do the buyer or the seller any good, and perhaps is an extra hurdle that the seller ought not to have to be subjected to (and the mere asking is dross, and unnecessary harassment in the sale thread). The person asking for the sound clip may not be in the market for that instrument, but if the seller provides a clip and then a buyer decides yes! this is the instrument for me on that last little piece of information, where's the harm?

Again, if you're looking to sell without any input from the community, perhaps our Marketplace is not the appropriate venue for your sale.

Regardless of that, you feel that sound clips are pointless and an unnecessary clutter to a sales thread. Some people agree. Some people disagree. Insufficient people have complained about it to make it something that we'll modify the rules of engagement on the Marketplace over, at least at this point. If more people indicate that the request for sound clips is unacceptable in the Marketplace, we'll certainly reevaluate that.
I don’t think its unreasonable to ask for sound clips and I don’t think any changes need to be made to the suggestions guidelines. I think it’s silly that sound clips have become a, how do you say, standard and used to discredit post because ther is no standard for quality of content.

You can use auto tune and all kinds of plugins to fake all kinds of stuff n e way.

That’s all.

I think it’s silly that sound clips have become a, how do you say, standard and used to discredit post because ther is no standard for quality of content.
Ah. I haven't noticed (but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened) that posts have been discredited due to sound clips.
You can use auto tune and all kinds of plugins to fake all kinds of stuff n e way.
I suppose that's true. Not being someone who records or messes with recordings, it wouldn't really occur to me, other than the fact that a studio recorded clip from someone like TUS is going to only demonstrate/enhance the best qualities (not to mention the top notch playing abilities of the demonstrators), vs a quick and dirty phone recording will hardly do the instrument true justice. I certainly recognize the limitations of a sound clip.

Well, since we're here, I happen to know of an ukulele arrangement very much in keeping with the guitar arrangement above, by Vasco at UkuleleCheats. Really lovely, I think, and quite approachable!

I was looking at this same video a week or so back. I would agree, quite approachable for this lovely song.

Regarding sound samples, I like them when I'm considering buying a uke. It gives me somewhat of an idea of what the tone of the uke is, and that's all I really want to get out of the sound clip. It's not an end-all be-all of what the uke is capable of. And I'm not looking for anyone to play Bohemian Rhapsody or anything elaborate. I've found almost all soundclips I've been given have done that, and I've gone on to buy the uke.

Ah. I haven't noticed (but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened) that posts have been discredited due to sound clips.

I suppose that's true. Not being someone who records or messes with recordings, it wouldn't really occur to me, other than the fact that a studio recorded clip from someone like TUS is going to only demonstrate/enhance the best qualities (not to mention the top notch playing abilities of the demonstrators), vs a quick and dirty phone recording will hardly do the instrument true justice. I certainly recognize the limitations of a sound clip.
it’s just sad to see 3rd party comments and requests, negatively influence the marketplace post and in some cases have it removed all together by referring to the recommended guidelines set. I find that silly. If you are a serious buyer it should be handled directly with the seller through personal contact. We all have zoom after covid. FaceTime. Text message. phone call.

The protection and safety of the buyers from scam or false sales definitely top priority and the UU admins it’s members do a great job making sure of that.

Top Bottom