Looking for honest feedback

Ah. I haven't noticed (but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened) that posts have been discredited due to sound clips.

I suppose that's true. Not being someone who records or messes with recordings, it wouldn't really occur to me, other than the fact that a studio recorded clip from someone like TUS is going to only demonstrate/enhance the best qualities (not to mention the top notch playing abilities of the demonstrators), vs a quick and dirty phone recording will hardly do the instrument true justice. I certainly recognize the limitations of a sound clip.
Regarding sound samples, I like them when I'm considering buying a uke. It gives me somewhat of an idea of what the tone of the uke is, and that's all I really want to get out of the sound clip. It's not an end-all be-all of what the uke is capable of. And I'm not looking for anyone to play Bohemian Rhapsody or anything elaborate. I've found almost all soundclips I've been given have done that, and I've gone on to buy the uke.wouldn’t buy an instrument without hearing how it’s sounds.
Regarding sound samples, I like them when I'm considering buying a uke. It gives me somewhat of an idea of what the tone of the uke is, and that's all I really want to get out of the sound clip. It's not an end-all be-all of what the uke is capable of. And I'm not looking for anyone to play Bohemian Rhapsody or anything elaborate. I've found almost all soundclips I've been given have done that, and I've gone on to buy the uke.
No one should buy an instrument not knowing how it sounds. That’s the silliest.

I realize that this thread isn't about Got A Ukulele's review methodology per se, but I do like the way that Barry, in addition to commenting on whether a uke is loud vs. softer, will also make observations pertaining to the instrument's "jangle", "shimmer", "sustain", or "bark", or otherwise comment on how its overall sound strikes him (e.g., with regard to the favorablyly-reviewed Famous FS-1, "a little bit thin for my taste"). I find these insights immensely helpful. Plus, he always makes sure that a uke is tuned accurately before he starts playing it. And he acknowledges that "personal preference" always plays a significant role in these matters, and that a uke may not sound exactly the same in your room as it does in his.
I've never really done a post explaining those sort of words, and if honest I am not sure they mean anything musically (but mean something to me!).
Jangle and shimmer are kind of me trying to explain that a uke is harmonising with itself and creating pleasing waves. That can be just on slow strums (a kind of wah-wah) or on fast rhythmical stuff that comes together. The opposite of a muddy confused sound - where more than one string is making a whole new complimentary sound.

Sustain is self explanatory
Bark I use for an instrument that punches well like a cannon. I use that a lot to describe good quality sopranos - some of the best sopranos i've seen are as loud as ANY uke!

Top Bottom