Looking for the Am chord in gCEG tuning

nathandc

I have two nieces (6 and 8) who love to pick up the restrung First Act uke I got for them when they come over and play around it.

The 6yo doesn't have the finger strength for chords using more then one finger. I want to tune their uke to gceg and give her a slide so she can play some songs along with me.

Thanks to a couple of youtube videos I know in that gced tuning I can teach her Open strings C, F at the 5th fret, and G at the 7th, to give her the main 3 chords to play songs, but I wonder how to manage an Am in this tuning to give her the "four chords of awesome"

I saw Jon Thysell's slack key ukulele charts has Am as 2002, but it only shows full bar chords for Db, D, Eb, and E, showing F as 2012 instead of 5555, so I wasn't sure if there was another way to do it that might be easier for my niece.

Please help a poor beginner trying to pass on the love of the instrument but woefully out of his depth. :)

LorenFL

Rather than gCEG... what about just tuning down a half step or a step to make the string tension lighter? And set the uke up for a nice low action. That should take care of a lot of the "finger strength" issue, I would think.

With standard tuning, if you compromise and go with "easy 2-finger chords", you could try something like
G6 (0202) rather than G
F (2010) or F9 (0010)
C - (0003) or since we're getting funky, C6 (0000), or C7 (0001)
Am - (2000) or funky, Am7 (0000), Asus2 (2200), Asus4 (4400)

Or, if they can manage F... G7, while it is a 3-finger chord, is pretty darned easy and is a pretty slick change from F to G7. (or G7sus2 0210... just one finger moved from F) Am-F-G7-C... pretty fun to play. I wouldn't try it with a 5-year-old... but, I sort of think an 8-year-old could handle it with a properly set-up uke. What they lack in finger strength and reach, they might make up for in flexibility and sheer will.

I guess another option with gCEG would be to play an Am7 chord using the standard Am one-finger shape. That would probably work for a lot of things.

Jim Yates

If your niece is using a slide, you could try something like fCFC, an open power chord. You'd have to change the string gauge of the first string. you could tune it in unison with the 3rd string. Since the power chord (5 chord) has no third, it could serve as a Major or minor.

nathandc

Or, if they can manage F... G7, while it is a 3-finger chord, is pretty darned easy and is a pretty slick change from F to G7. (or G7sus2 0210... just one finger moved from F) Am-F-G7-C... pretty fun to play. I wouldn't try it with a 5-year-old... but, I sort of think an 8-year-old could handle it with a properly set-up uke. What they lack in finger strength and reach, they might make up for in flexibility and sheer will.

I guess another option with gCEG would be to play an Am7 chord using the standard Am one-finger shape. That would probably work for a lot of things.
Sadly even 2 finger chords are beyond the 6 year old right now, her 8 year old sister doesn't want to learn/play normal chords, she just wants to play around and make up her own chords/songs as she goes.

Thanks for the idea of using the new Am7, that should work for her. :)