Love my Enya Nova U Pro Carbon Fiber tenor!

MarTay6

Soooo... I have a Enya Nova U Pro Carbon Fiber tenor... as well as a KoAloha Royal Pitake tenor, an Anuenue Amm-3, a Pono MC and a Romero Creations Tenor.... Nice selection for a beginner to choose from.
So which one do I pick up the most often?
Without question, the Nova!
It really is a fantastic little uke- not just at that price point, but at any price point!

bilbo56

Yes! I agree. My nice uku's are in their cases in the "music room", while my Enya Nova U Pro Carbon Fiber tenor, lays out right next to my computer,
where I can pick it up any time. I recently restrung it with Aquila reds.

counsel1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Yes! I agree. My nice uku's are in their cases in the "music room", while my Enya Nova U Pro Carbon Fiber tenor, lays out right next to my computer,
where I can pick it up any time. I recently restrung it with Aquila reds.
It's crazy-- I'm less enamored by the tone without the effects- but with reverb and a little echo-- its enchanting-- and so playable, as well as nearly indestructible! I replaced my Farallon with the Nova Pro as my travel uke and never looked back!

MarTay6

Wow that is impressive!

Do you have a sense of "why" you gravitate to the Enya?
I don't honestly know.... just because it's easy to leave out- it's comfortable- plays nicely after I dropped the action on it a bit- sounds great- sounds just like a uke should sound! The others may be richer tonewise, but the Enya just feels good to reach out and pick up.
BTW, mine doesn't have the electronics.
I may get another one- just to have another one in low G.

Reactions: tm3

counsel1

UU VIP
UU VIP
I would strongly encourage you to buy the Pro model with the electronics--you will not be disappointed-- the effects make it irresistible acoustically (I never play mine without) plus you can amplify--
The only strange thing I have noticed is how quickly the Nova Pro goes out of tune with variations in temperature- - I find I have to leave a tuner on the headstock continuously if I want to go outside-- Not sure whether it is the uke itself, or the stock strings--none of my wooden ukes react like the Nova--
Anyone else have this issue?

bilbo56

I don't have the electronics version and I haven't noticed it going out of tune much. However, I haven't been outside with it often.

TheresaSC

My friend has one as well, and she tends to gravitate to it as well. Or she was, until a couple of Enya concerts came to live with her😀

Enya makes a really playable ukulele. I have a EUC-M6 with Oasis warm low g that I tend to grab before any other. A Nova Pro is on my list, but I have had to behave lately - my charge card is currently grounded! LOL

donboody

I would strongly encourage you to buy the Pro model with the electronics--you will not be disappointed-- the effects make it irresistible acoustically (I never play mine without) plus you can amplify--
The only strange thing I have noticed is how quickly the Nova Pro goes out of tune with variations in temperature- - I find I have to leave a tuner on the headstock continuously if I want to go outside-- Not sure whether it is the uke itself, or the stock strings--none of my wooden ukes react like the Nova--
Anyone else have this issue?
I had the acoustic one for like a year and I didn’t find it fell out of tune more than my other ukes. I also had a tuner on the headstock all the time, and I generally tune my ukes every time I pick them up to play them if there is a tuner on the headstock. All my ukes can always use a tiny turn, according to my tuner, if a few days have passed since I’ve played that particular one. Usually though, they’re all in a state where they’re pretty fine when there isn’t a tuner attached to the headstock and I just take for granted that it’s probably in tune based on hearing. I always feel bad for people who lament about tuning. I feel fortunate to have never had “staying in tune” be an issue with any of the 10 ukes I’ve owned throughout my life, including my nova u pro. It’s like I hit the jackpot.

counsel1

UU VIP
UU VIP
I had the acoustic one for like a year and I didn’t find it fell out of tune more than my other ukes. I also had a tuner on the headstock all the time, and I generally tune my ukes every time I pick them up to play them if there is a tuner on the headstock. All my ukes can always use a tiny turn, according to my tuner, if a few days have passed since I’ve played that particular one. Usually though, they’re all in a state where they’re pretty fine when there isn’t a tuner attached to the headstock and I just take for granted that it’s probably in tune based on hearing. I always feel bad for people who lament about tuning. I feel fortunate to have never had “staying in tune” be an issue with any of the 10 ukes I’ve owned throughout my life, including my nova u pro. It’s like I hit the jackpot.
I agree completely that tuning is easy and alway check tuning daily-- But with my Nova Pro I can tune inside the house and when I step outside, if hotter, or colder. immediately my Nova will go dramatically sharp or flat--and not necessarily with the same relativity among strings-- I've noticed the wound bass string (which I added myself) seems the least affected, both sharp or flat-- I don't think there are any issues with tuners slipping-- If I step back inside my Nova goes back in tune-- My wood ukes are not similarly affected--

Regardless, I think the Nova Pro is an amazing instrument- especially for the price. Maybe the perfect entry-level uke that ultimately takes on the role of a travel uke as one's uke addiction develops--

Last edited:

donboody

I agree completely that tuning is easy and alway check tuning daily-- But with my Nova Pro I can tune inside the house and when I step outside, if hotter, or colder. immediately my Nova will go dramatically sharp or flat--and not necessarily with the same relativity among strings-- I've noticed the wound bass string (which I added myself) seems the least affected, both sharp or flat-- I don't think there are any issues with tuners slipping-- If I step back inside my Nova goes back in tune-- My wood ukes are not similarly affected--

Regardless, I think the Nova Pro is an amazing instrument- especially for the price. Maybe the perfect entry-level uke that ultimately takes on the role of a travel uke as one's uke addition develops--
I second that, perfect entry level tenor uke for sure

Voran

I wouldn't say no to one myself. Be nice to have the electronic effects too...

bilbo56

One thing I really like about my Enya is the neck profile and wide (1.5 in/38 mm) nut.

tm3

I don't honestly know.... just because it's easy to leave out- it's comfortable- plays nicely after I dropped the action on it a bit- sounds great- sounds just like a uke should sound! The others may be richer tonewise, but the Enya just feels good to reach out and pick up.
BTW, mine doesn't have the electronics.
Several folks at Uke Group have them and really like them. I think they look cool, I love the thin body, and they sound fine to me (keeping in mind that I am not a tone aficionado).

The thin body style might entice me to buy one, but I'd have to consider one of the thin body Bonanza ukes also.

tm3

One thing I really like about my Enya is the neck profile and wide (1.5 in/38 mm) nut.
That's really interesting. When I played one the neck profile seemed relatively slim and narrow, but I guess it depends on what one is comparing it to.

donboody

I definitely considered it the most comfortable ukulele I owned and the radiused fretboard is subtle but very comfortable.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Agree, I like this lttle uke. It's fun to play and makes a great traveler.
I have always disliked plastic/carbon/amalgam ukuleles. None of them sounded right to me.
The Enya Nova U Pro tenor is an exception. I bought the acoustic version. I can still tell it's a polycarbonate/carbon fiber blend. Yet it produces a very pleasant sound to my ears. It won't ever replace the solid wood tenors I have, but I enjoy playing it.

The OEM strings it came with are D'Addario EJ87T Clear, and a Red Low-G. Which did not feel like an Aquila Red—except it broke within a week. I replaced it with a wound Uke Logic. I haven't noticed the tuning to go out more than other Fluoros I have used. They seem to be similar to the Worth Clears I've used. And less sensitive than my favorite Living Waters strings. My LW react to humidity and temperature changes pretty quickly. But if I tune them up outdoors, they hold tune pretty well. It's going from a low indoor humidity mid 70s temp to a higher outdoor humidity and mid 80s temp that affects them the most.

Ila

I adore all three of my Enya Nova ukes. I started out with a concert. Then a generous UU member gifted a soprano to my elementary classroom (it gets used a LOT), and within the past couple of months I treated myself to a tenor with the acousticplus system and a small amp. I love the sound, I love the feel, and I love that I don't have to worry about humidifiers, fret sprout, etc. Having a Nova makes enjoying playing the uke even more carefree. I do travel with one whenever I get out of town, and I don't have to worry about changes in humidity or climate. It's fantastic.

Ila

The OEM strings it came with are D'Addario EJ87T Clear, and a Red Low-G. Which did not feel like an Aquila Red—except it broke within a week. I replaced it with a wound Uke Logic. I haven't noticed the tuning to go out more than other Fluoros I have used.
I recently changed the strings on my tenor. I really didn't like the feel of the D'Addario titanium strings at all that it came with. They were too thick and hard for my liking. So I went back to the Enya fluorocarbon strings and switched out to an unwound Enya Low G fluorocarbon. I'm much happier with the feel and the sound.

kaimuki

My friend has one as well, and she tends to gravitate to it as well. Or she was, until a couple of Enya concerts came to live with her😀

Enya makes a really playable ukulele. I have a EUC-M6 with Oasis warm low g that I tend to grab before any other. A Nova Pro is on my list, but I have had to behave lately - my charge card is currently grounded! LOL
... so you prefer the Enya EUC-M6 over your Pono AC ?
For playability , sound ? Mahogany over Acacia ?