Low G on an Enya Nova? Seeking String Advice

Hi all,

I just ordered one of the new red Enya Novas and want to string it to Low G. This will be my first time trying a low G tuning.

Can anyone recommend a good, unwound low g string set that will pair with the plastic fretboard and where to buy it online?

I want to make sure there are no metal components so that it won't harm the instrument.

In poking around I see the Oasis Warm mentioned a fair bit. Any others I should consider?

Thanks!
Kevin
Fremont Blacklines offer a low G set that is excellent. They will also go nicely with the red Nova.

I reached out To Oasis Inc. to ask about the string gauges of their All Fluorocarbon Low G Sets, they replied:

The only difference between the two sets is the UKE-8101’s first string measures .023”.

UKE-8001F Bright All Fluorocarbon Strings, Low G
1st .0215”
2nd .027”
3rd .030”
4th .0355”

UKE-8101F Warm All Fluorocarbon Strings, Low G
1st .023”
2nd .027”
3rd .030”
4th .0355”

I generally use a wound low g but read that they are not a good idea on the Enya Novas because they eat into the plastic. So I tried original style Aquila Red unwounds from 0.80-1.28 which I usually like for low g when I don't use a wound string. I think they all sound too boomy and much louder than the other strings when amplified. So I've given up with low g and gone back to high g. It's a concert size and I generally don't like the high tension on concert ukes so I often use soprano strings - I've got Soprano Aquila Reds on it (ha, but also not a fan of the higher sounding pitch). Any other ideas for low g? Maybe Fremont STR-FMG Black Fluorocarbon - they don't seem to make thinner gauge just for soprano.

Im using Aldrins Aquila strings (clear Nylon) seem to be a nice balance between Fluorocarbon on and Nylon. Very Warm tone and super durable.

Hi all,

I just ordered one of the new red Enya Novas and want to string it to Low G. This will be my first time trying a low G tuning.

Can anyone recommend a good, unwound low g string set that will pair with the plastic fretboard and where to buy it online?

I want to make sure there are no metal components so that it won't harm the instrument.

In poking around I see the Oasis Warm mentioned a fair bit. Any others I should consider?

Thanks!
Kevin
I put Fremont Blacklines on my tenor. Excellent low G set and the black strings really set off my white Enya.

Top Bottom