Low G on soprano

espermatozoilo

Hi! I'm thinking to give a chance to a low G on my soprano. Have somebody any experience with this? How does it work?
Sorry for my English, I'm from Spain 😅.

Cadia

One of my Romero Creations sopranos came low g,

rainbow21

The one caveat is that if you currently do chord melody or fingerpicking on high G, some of the songs you are accustomed to may not play well on a low G or require some adjustment (in playing or listening). I do have one in each (though concert scale) and play my high G 95% of the time.

rafter

I spend more time playing low than high G, and I love sopranos with low G. That said, it doesn't sound great on every soprano. Thus far, I prefer it with sopranos that are more ring than bark. I think newer style ukuleles rather than more traditional ones. In my experience, low G on a Rebel or a KoAloha sounds great. But for a Martin or Bruko, high G was better.

I wish I knew more music for high G, but I prefer fingerpicking and low G lends itself to that.

I also prefer unwound to wound strings, but with low G, if you use an unwound, you'll likely have to file the nut slot a bit to fit the string. This isn't a very difficult job, and you can have a shop do it, but if you decide to go back to high G, you have to fill the slot again to fit the smaller string. My recommendation is to try it out first with a wound low G, since they're thinner, and you might not have to change the nut slot. Then you can decide if you want to keep low G more permanently and make nut slot adjustments as you need.

kissing

It generally works OK. Sure, you won't get the kind of bass response you would on a tenor - but it'll work.
If you want to easily source an all-purpose low-G string, just get a classical guitar D string.

That will work as a low-G string for sopranos, concerts and tenors.

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
I really like Low G Soprano. I have a number of Sopranos, and only a couple have been left with reentrant tuning. If your style of playing incorporates a lot of strumming, like George Formby, then stay with the reentrant tuning. It gives the Uke a brighter, livelier sound. But, if you finger pick, and pick out melodies, the Low G will really pay off.