low G string

farmerboy

Reaction score
I just got a low G string for my uke and everything sounds warmer, but alien.

Any suggestions for tunes that sound good on the uke in this tuning? Particularly looking for melodies.

Thanks

Check the ukers Ohta San Jr and Brittni Paiva...both low g virtuosos

you'll thank me later ;)

Most ballads, country and western, and rock and roll songs sound better to my ear with a low G, especially if you want to pick the melody, because you have more range. I tend do a lot more plucking of the G and C string for a bass line when I use a low G and then strum the C,E, and A strings. 1920s, 1930s and 1940s and some Hawaiian songs sound better on a high G to me. A high G also sounds great as a claw hammer instrument, as does good bluegrass picking, if you play it sort of like a banjo.

Last edited:
Herb Jr. too. He's probably the best example I can think of actually.

Mods: maybe we could use a "low g string" sticky thread?

Sweetwater Blue: I don't think clawhammer could work on anything other than a high G and I've kept my sop tuned to re-entrant for this

...but I thought for an experiment, I'd try the low G. I've been learning billie jean and a lot of early English tunes. I think it works very well for melody generally.

Those are some great musicians that you suggested happyslappysoong and hippie guy. Thanks for that. I've got some ideas where I want to go with it. I think maybe folk makes the most sense for me and my existing skills as a starter. So I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
Most ballads, country and western, and rock and roll songs sound better to my ear with a low G, especially if you want to pick the melody, because you have more range...

I keep being intrigued by the idea of low G, and your comments about country and rock songs suiting the tuning are interesting. Would you say low G suits picking more than strumming (which is pretty much all I can do), and is it really for tenors only, or can concerts and sopranos sound good on the down-low (G)?

EDIT: The most sensible thing would be to just try it, wouldn't it? I've currently got Worth BL on my Kala FA-FMS, and was thinking about trying the medium tension Worths on it. I've got a pack of low G and a pack of high G BMs - am I right in thinking that, if I put the low G BMs on and wanted to go back to high G, I'd only have to replace the one string (sorry if that's a daft question! :) Actually, I've just thought of another equally stupid, 'I know the answer' question - the chords will all be the same, just sound slightly different, yes?)?

I suppose that's one of the big advantages of Worths - you can experiment and still have a fresh string-length left over!

Saying that, I've an Ohana CK-50GS on the way - I might give that a go on low G (Aquilas?) and leave the soprano as high G to give myself two different sounds. Hmm...

Last edited:
I keep being intrigued by the idea of low G, and your comments about country and rock songs suiting the tuning are interesting. Would you say low G suits picking more than strumming (which is pretty much all I can do), and is it really for tenors only, or can concerts and sopranos sound good on the down-low (G)?.

Yes, at least the way I strum the most, which is to pick the bass string(s) and then strum guitar style. As far as low G only being for tenors, its already been mentioned that Herb Otah plays a low G soprano, which prompted me to put one on my Ohana SK-35G. I am not sure I like the low G as well on the soprano (the jury is still out) , so I have left my Flea with a high G for those times when I really need that re-entrant sound.

Last edited:
I strung my Cordoba tenor with Fremont black fluorocarbons; the low G is not wound. There are no wound strings. They sound quite nice too. Not as loud/boomy as Aquila, but still have a full "round" tone.

Mic sells the Low G and full sets on Ebay

I just got a low G string for my uke and everything sounds warmer, but alien.

Any suggestions for tunes that sound good on the uke in this tuning? Particularly looking for melodies.

Thanks

I made a few arrangements for low G. You can find them in the "ukulele tab" folder on my mobile me account. Ashokan Farewell (from Ken Burns "Civil War" Documentary), Sally's Song (from the "Nightmare Before Christmas") also has an online video tutorial on YouTube, and" Til There Was You".
–Lori

Lori,
Thanks so much for the low G offerings. I'm always looking for more of those and really appreciate the sharing.

Best,
Craig

Difference Among AQUILA Strings

I'm brand new to the Ukulele. I went to Hawaii and bought a little blue with white flowers cheapo no brand for less than $20. Of course, we get what we pay for. I now know I should get a better model, but before I do, I thought I'd try to play it with AQUILA strings. I was able to buy a set from Sam Ash, but they are labeled as Soprano Low G.

So my question is: What is the difference among Regular, Low G, and High G strings? Also, what size ukulele would be best for someone who is 69 years old, 212 lbs, 5'10" and has fat hands with a size 12 ring finger. I have no musical talent except I do sing some for the "old folks" using a karaoke set up for the music.

Thanks for any guideance you can provide,

Wes

I'm brand new to the Ukulele. I went to Hawaii and bought a little blue with white flowers cheapo no brand for less than $20. Of course, we get what we pay for. I now know I should get a better model, but before I do, I thought I'd try to play it with AQUILA strings. I was able to buy a set from Sam Ash, but they are labeled as Soprano Low G.

So my question is: What is the difference among Regular, Low G, and High G strings? Also, what size ukulele would be best for someone who is 69 years old, 212 lbs, 5'10" and has fat hands with a size 12 ring finger. I have no musical talent except I do sing some for the "old folks" using a karaoke set up for the music.

Wes
Hi Wes
Welcome to UU! If you think you might need extra space for your fingers, go with a tenor size ukulele. If you think you might want to stretch your fingers to reach more notes, you might go for a concert size, which is a bit smaller. If you can try a few out in a store, or at a Uke Group meeting, you will get a better idea of what feels comfortable. If tenor is too small, a baritone is a bit bigger, but as you get bigger, you also start sounding more like a guitar. If you want to preserve the ukulele sound quality in your songs, there are "super" or "long neck" ukes that put longer necks on smaller sound boxes. A "Super Concert" is a Tenor neck on a Concert body, and a "Super Soprano" is a Concert neck on a Soprano body.
Hope that helps!
–Lori

Got my Ohana concert yesterday, and tried Worth BM low G strings on it - wasn't convinced at all, and ended up putting a high G on. The low G seemed to dominate the sound, being noticeably louder than the other strings. Very 'floppy', too.

Can see how it might work very well on another uke, however, and I did like the more 'guitary' tone...

I made a few arrangements for low G. You can find them in the "ukulele tab" folder on my mobile me account. Ashokan Farewell (from Ken Burns "Civil War" Documentary), Sally's Song (from the "Nightmare Before Christmas") also has an online video tutorial on YouTube, and" Til There Was You".
–Lori

Thanks Lori. I'll give these a go. Really kind of you

I am more of a singer who strums to accompany myself. I started playing low g only recently, but I was pleasantly surprised at the mellow and beautiful tone. I played low g with the songs I knew, and found that it sounded better than regular tuning on some of the songs. To me the regular tuning is better on the "brighter", "happier" sounding songs - like "Hey, Soul Sister". The low g tuning is better on the "warm", "mellow" sounding songs - like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". This is just my humble opinion. Does it make any sense to anyone else?

I started playing low g only recently, but I was pleasantly surprised at the mellow and beautiful tone. I played low g with the songs I knew, and found that it sounded better than regular tuning on some of the songs. This is just my humble opinion. Does it make any sense to anyone else?

It's making a lot of sense to me since I found a nice baritone and switched it to gCEA with Aquilas. The tone is truly amazing, almost throaty at times. It's mesmerizing. I'm new to ukulele, this is my second one, so definitely only my humble opinion.

An 'ukulele has a hi-G and re-entrant tuning. A lo-g can be useful, but it's no longer a 'ukulele, it's a miniature 4-string guitar. I used lo-g for a while and enjoyed having some reach below middle C. Then I got a 2nd 'uke (hi-G) and remembered why I bought a 'uke. It's a challenge to work within the range of a traditional 'uke, but it's still a heap of fun.

It's just an opinion, folks...:p

Wes

Hi, Wes....welcome to UU! In answer to your question about the differences between strings....

There are two commonly used ways to string the uke; high G (or "regular"), and low G. The high G string sets are for the traditional reentrant tuning, where the G is higher in pitch than the C string. The low G string sets have a G string that is lower in pitch than the C string. A high G string and a low G string are different guages, and are not interchangable. The C, E and A strings from either string set are the same, and are interchangeable.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the uke!

My tenor is kept tuned Low G;my sopranos are re-entrant
or High G and my 8 string Tenor has both! I can switch from
one to the other with no problems,the fingerings are the
same;obviously,if you are a picker rather than a strummer,
the Low G will give you 'extra notes' at the bass end of the
instrument,and a fuller sound overall.But hey,it never hurts
to try it,many find that they like it!

Top Bottom