Low G string

Hawkshaw

I would like to put a low G string on my Kiwaya concert uke. When I look at the strings sets, the low G string for a concert seems to be the same diameter as for a tenor uke, i.e. 0358." Because it's a concert ukulele is there a low G string that is slightly lesser in diameter. I'd like to put a set of Worth Clear strings on it - or am I out of my mind.
Any info appreciated.

barefootgypsy

I have recently put a set of Living Water Strings with low G on a concert uke, with no problem caused by the thicker diameter of the string - it sounds great. I'd recommend you just go for it. Living Waters are high quality fluorocarbon and very well thought of - I've got them on all five of my wooden ukes now.

AKuker

I agree with Lesley. I have Worth BM's low g on my Ohana concert. Sounds great!

Louis0815

Apart from the Living Waters (which are an excellent choice BTW) you could as well use you re-entrant strings for linear tuning:
Simply swap the strings from GCEA to CEGA and tune them to low G.

If you don't like the low-G sound you can switch back easily - and you haven't even spent (wasted) any money...

Ukejenny

I had a low G put on my Koa Pili Koko and he was going to adjust the nut for the string, but said that the low G fit in, though it was snug, but this was I can put a regular G on there if I want. So far, I'm loving the low G and have Worth clears on it (came with it). I am now wondering if I would love a low G on my concert. I kind of like having one low and one high. In the end, I think I need to get a decent soprano and let that be my high G and put a low G set of Worth clears on my concert.

Louis0815

I am now wondering if I would love a low G on my concert. I kind of like having one low and one high. In the end, I think I need to get a decent soprano and let that be my high G and put a low G set of Worth clears on my concert.
You're proving yourself wrong in your last sentence.....
The natural outcome is to have at least another concert w/ high G AND a decent soprano (but don't try low G on that one)