Low G to Baritone Question

ghostrdr

Reaction score
so, let's say hypothetically, you've learned a few finger style arrangements on your Low G tenor.

can you just play them on a baritone? Will it still sound like the song, albeit a few keys different?

in other words, if you are just playing by yourself and not in a group, will it still sound like the song? I understand when you're playing in a group the need to play the same chords as everyone else, which will result in different chord shapes because of the change in baritone tuning.

assuming this is true, does it mess with your head, because you're used to hearing the song at a particular pitch and it sounds weird in a different key? or do you enjoy it?

I'm about to jump into my first baritone...

Yes you can just play the same way, and it will sound a bit lower. So if you just play by yourself and don't sing then the key does not really matter that much.

Let's see (I don't play either instrument)

low-g GCEA to Baritone DGBE

G to D = 7 half steps
C to G = 7 half steps
E to B = 7 half steps
A to E = 7 half steps

Yes!

does it mess with your head, because you're used to hearing the song at a particular pitch and it sounds weird in a different key? or do you enjoy it?
This is for you to decide. I love what the different keys bring to the tunes. I do the same with my dulcimers ..... same tunes played on dulcimers in D, G, and E. Enjoy your baritone and have fun.

I’m a bit intimidated by the fret spacing. We shall see. I am curious about the deeper tone. Do most of you like having a baritone to fingerpick or to add additional bass to group strumming?

Arrangements taken to a baritone ukulele will sound just fine. Maybe even better.
A baritone may sound deeper pitched compared to smaller ukuleles but compared to guitars, they still sound bright.

Last edited:
Wouldn't say no to a baritone uke but if I ever get one I'll have to somehow figure out a way to play it on my rare tuning but down an octave: D3-Bb2-C3-F3.

That's going to be a bit of a tall order given some strings will have to be detuned way lower than what they're designed for while others will have to be shunted up higher.

Voran - Bb is not a problem on a baritone. I have a bari tuned as an octave (G2-D3-A3-E4) mandolin. Bb2 is a step and 1/2 above my low G.

G2 .045w (Low E from D'Addario EJ27n Classical set)

For Bb you would go a little thinner than .045w - perhaps an .041w? Fear not, it can be done :)

-Wiggy

E4 .024 Standard baritone E
A3 .032 Tuned down 1 step from baritone B -Might be a flourocarbon, IDK.
D3 .030w From D'Addario J68 set (also in the EJ27n set)
G2 .045w Low E from D'Addario EJ27n set

Last edited:
Not a problem on a baritone. I have a bari tuned as an octave GDAE mandolin. The G in my case is a G2. Bb2 is just above that.

-Wiggy
So the existing strings on a bari uke would be fine?

A standard baritone's DGBE "G" is an octave higher. You want the Bb below that, thus the need for a .041w (or so) string.

The Octave Mandolin "G" I noted above is the same pitch as G on a standard EADG Bass.

As I understand your intended D3-Bb2-C3-F3 tuning:

F3 tuned: 1/2 up from normal DGBE 'E'
C3 tuned: 1/2 up from normal DGBE 'B'
Bb2 tuned: 2-1/2 below D3 ( .041w - this is the only string you would have to change - you'll likely need to widen that nut slot)
D3 tuned: Normal baritone DGBE 'D'

I think I have this right :)

Last edited:
My Kala baritone, that I now use for Renn Guitar in “Low G,” actually sounded MUCH better tuned to A (EAC#F#), than it ever did in G. Sometimes a step or even a semi tone up or down can make a huge difference with a particular instrument.

I’m a bit intimidated by the fret spacing. We shall see. I am curious about the deeper tone. Do most of you like having a baritone to fingerpick or to add additional bass to group strumming?
I have always liked a warmer sounding ukulele. All my tenors are low G so the baritone was a natural place for me to go. I really like the bigger more resonant sound, it was my pretend guitar until I ventured into that territory as well. I started out just playing my GCEA arrangements on the baritone, they sound fine. Good luck, be patient with the learning curve and you’ll enjoy it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom