Low G wound string suggestion for Tenor Uke with Worth Browns???

duganderson

Reaction score
I want to try a would low G string on my Tenor Uke (Flight Diana) that came stock with High G worth brown strings.

I'm looking for a string with a similiar enough diameter that I don't need to file the nut.

What string company, brand, models etc. would you recommend that would give me a fuller, warmer, good sustain WITHOUT having to change the nut.

Thank you! Doug

I second the idea of trying a Fremont low G, but I rather doubt you are going to get it to fit without some tinkering with the slot width on the G string. But it's not hard to do, and doesn't require replacing the nut. And if you aren't up to it yourself it would only take a tech about two minutes to open up that slot for you. A lot of people are reluctant to try a low G because they feel that means they can't then go back to high G without replacing the nut, but in my experience this isn't an issue, and the uke will play just fine in high G with a slightly oversized nut slot for the G string.

If you do work on it yourself, remember you need to widen it, NOT make it deeper. So best not to use a triangle file, as that makes it too easy to go deeper as you file away.

I would caution use of Aquila wound as they wear out quickly. D'addario has single guitar strings that last longer and are easily available in various diameters from 026 to 032 so you can pick one that suits your preference. Many people here love polished brass wound strings that are available under various names, but I think they all have the same diameter.

I use La Bella 908 classical guitar D-strings for my ukulele low-G strings. The La Bella strings look and feel and sound just like the Fremont Soloist strings (to me), but are half the price and easily available at local music stores.

I like the Fremont Soloist too. I’ve used them on several different ukes over the years and I’ve never had to adjust the nut.
I’ve even got one on a Kiwaya KTS 7 soprano at the moment, it sounds surprisingly good and fits the slot just fine.

T
I use La Bella 908 classical guitar D-strings for my ukulele low-G strings. The La Bella strings look and feel and sound just like the Fremont Soloist strings (to me), but are half the price and easily available at local music stores.
The string diameters for Fremont is 0.036 and la Bella D string is 0.030 Based on the info from stringsbymail. The 910 for A string is closer at 0.035

Last edited:
The string diameters for Fremont is 0.036 and la Bella D string is 0.030 Based on the info from stringsbymail. The 910 for A string is closer at 0.035

Is that a typo? The Fremont Soloist package says the diameter is 0.030.

Attachments

• 27ef0c08d6cafab2742eeb0603f02753_380x380.jpg
    27ef0c08d6cafab2742eeb0603f02753_380x380.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 7
Is that a typo? The Fremont Soloist package says the diameter is 0.030.
Oh yes I think you are right. I was looking at the website details

Attachments

• A6C57C47-4F72-4620-AA0D-2493C2377455.jpeg
    A6C57C47-4F72-4620-AA0D-2493C2377455.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 3
Yes these are the polished brass wound strings and LaBella is the actual manufacturer of these. There are several uke string brands that repackage them and sell for higher price.

Fremont Black Line Low G is labeled as .036" --> I just measured mine at tension on a Tenor, and it is .036". It's a good alternative (string-to-string balance wise) to a D'addario .029W which is wound and has a brighter sound. I like them both, the choice depends on the uke itself.

The Fremont Clear Low G is also .036" but I felt its tension was too low.

<edit> As mentioned above, the D'addario .029W is a classical guitar D string. In my case, from an EJ27N set. But they can be purchased as singles and work well as a Concert and even Soprano Low G.

Attachments

• FBL LG.JPG
    FBL LG.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
For my low G tenor, I prefer ThomastiK Infeld low G and C strings (wound, polished so no squeak). I have Worth browns for my A & E strings. Since I discovered this combo, I've never even considered trying other strings (previously went through a period where I was trying all brands).

You can buy a single Worth Brown Low G also - .0358 diameter if you want to match up to the other Worth Browns.
It's long enough to cut in two so you will wind up with 2 strings to use.

Lots of choices. I have Uke Logic wound gold Low G on a couple Ponos and like that string. .030 diameter

UPDATE: I added the La Bella 908 classical guitar D-strings for my ukulele low-G strings (folks have argued this is literally the same string as the Fremont Soloist in different packaging). The low g was a bit boomy so I added a Thomastik wound C strings (wound .037)) and I love the sound, feel, balance of volume and tone for picking and strumming.

Top Bottom