Lurkers lusting to learn the uke

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am sure there are numbers and numbers of people that visit this site to see what the uke is all about. People that have NEVER played any kind of instrument before. Like any new endeavour it can be overwhelming and sometimes the broad range of opinions and topics of conservations here can scare off these people from ever dipping their toes in.

This thread was prompted because sometimes we get people brave enough to buy a uke and ask questions. Some of the things that get recommended are well meaning but serve no purpose at the green beginners stage.

Things you need to know to "START" playing the ukulele. #1...you form chords and change chords, #2 you strum. That is it in the beginning. You want to be selective on where you spend your time and what knowledge you pursue at the very start of your learning curve. Just concentrate on the physicality of learning the basic movements of forming chords, changing chords and strumming.

You don't need to learn how to tune by ear, scales, notes, keys, muting, chucking, rolls, triple strums, intonation, harmonics, etc. etc.

Download "Uncle Rods Bootcamp" work on that, seriously. Just like, golf or tennis or skiing you start with the basics to form a foundation you can then build from.

Jump in....... the water is fine and the ukulele is fun. Keep it that way and you will stay with it and continue to learn the more complex issues of music.

Last edited:
:agree: Good thread. Yup, first thing my senior's class needs to learn is how to hold the danged thing. Talking about new players, new ukes, no straps. Can't move on until they pretty much get that. Next, not necessarily in this order is to learn how to tune it, how to make a simple chord or two, then a basic strum. Again, this has proven the case in several classes I have conducted for this group.

Last edited:
Good idea/ good post. I started with absolutely zero musical background in my mid 30's. This forum is super useful and super helpful. It's non threatening too. Good vibes. But yes learn to strum and learn some chords from Uncle Rod's. Really that's a great start. And buy a well-Setup uke to start with.

Well I im 57 and started to learn 6 months ago no musical background its just great to learn and great fun for me, not joined any groups yet and dont want too this is for me and loving it

Excellent advice... Each step is a building block. Repetition and practicing each step until it feels natural is a reassuring way to not get lost or discouraged. Don't feel pressured to learn something in any specified timeframe, go at your own pace is also a good way to not get discouraged too. Look forward to the "Aha" moments when things click and you're ready to move forward...

From personal experience of being a noob here, I would agree with the OP that there exists the possibility of feeling a little overwhelmed by the level of advice on offer. Whilst I'm sure it's all well-intentioned some of it can frankly feel somewhat 'overbaked'. I've honestly been a little bemused at some of the responses to my own posts and been left scratching my head and wondering to myself (as a beginner) 'do I really need to be worrying about that right now?'

More experienced ukesters maybe forget a little bit what it's like to be a newbie. Getting your fingers all tangled up in the strings when you try to strum, getting confused every time you look at a chord chart cos the the 1st string is actually the bottom string (I mean, wtf? :p), barely limping your way through a godawful rendition of 'Camptown Races' (but still feeling totally awesome when you make it all the way to the end). And so forth.

It's like when older people shake their heads in disapproval at the behaviour of younger people - like they completely forgot that they were young once themselves.

So, yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that a little bit of empathy is always good :)

Cool thread.

From personal experience of being a noob here, I would agree with the OP that there exists the possibility of feeling a little overwhelmed by the level of advice on offer. Whilst I'm sure it's all well-intentioned some of it can frankly feel somewhat 'overbaked'. I've honestly been a little bemused at some of the responses to my own posts and been left scratching my head and wondering to myself (as a beginner) 'do I really need to be worrying about that right now?'

More experienced ukesters maybe forget a little bit what it's like to be a newbie. Getting your fingers all tangled up in the strings when you try to strum, getting confused every time you look at a chord chart cos the the 1st string is actually the bottom string (I mean, wtf? :p), barely limping your way through a godawful rendition of 'Camptown Races' (but still feeling totally awesome when you make it all the way to the end). And so forth.

It's like when older people shake their heads in disapproval at the behaviour of younger people - like they completely forgot that they were young once themselves.

So, yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that a little bit of empathy is always good :)

Cool thread.
The more I learn, the more bemused I become.:)

I sort of agree and sort of disagree. The holding issue is, in my strong opinion, best addressed with a strap or thong. I also think basic strumming comes before chording: it's possible to play songs with only single strums, but it's probably better to get a basic strum rhythm going before getting the right hand involved--many people are rhythm-impaired. They can always drop back to single strums when they want to concentrate on new chords and associated chord changes.

Where I most disagree is in that the finer points (like where to fret and the best hand position for fretting) are best learned in the very earliest stages. It's much easier to learn good habits from the get-go than to correct them later on. Most of the newbie problems discussed here arise because of the learner's hand position, over-casual approach to playing technique, and reluctance to use a strap. Every teacher I've had paid meticulous attention from the very start to my hand position and movements; it was never acceptable just to "git 'er done" and worry about the finer points of technique later. I kept to this approach even when learning other instruments on my own. Doing things attentively, slow and right one makes the fastest progress. This is true even if your musical goals are quite modest, even if you only intend to play basic stuff for your private enjoyment.

Totally agree. My point was to stress to beginners to focus on the physical aspect of learning the proper movements. You articulated it better than I did by including the correct hand postion and fretting positions. Playing a stringed instrument is a kinestetic task so paying close attention to all the fine motor skill movements will pay big dividends.

Tuning by ear, scales, music therory can all come later.

There's one more refinement I'd add: learn the root position(s) of every chord shape you learn from the very start. This is a very small additional task that yields major dividends for the effort, and it actually makes learning the chord shapes and lower fretboard easier (and helps explain chord naming to some degree). At this point the learner doesn't have to know the details of chord construction, but learning the root at the time it's easiest to do so provides an anchor for everything to come.

Now I disagree because we have just ventured out of how to perform the physical movements and into music theory. This is not neccassary on day one and the exact thing I am fighting against. I am mildly dyslexic and when things like that are thrown at me I glaze over and zone out, the learning comes to a halt. Because of that I am very sensitive to others needs and how information is presented and at what pace.

I came from zero musicial experience, have been playing for 18 months now and I don't know what root positions are but I have learned to play the ukulele. I am teaching a neighbor to play ukulele, he is a long time, highly regarded golf instructor. We were talking about learning concepts and he really believes in KISS. You don't need to know how to hit a 10 yard draw to play golf, you just have to know how to swing the club.

I realize you are a music teacher and I have always been in awe of the answers you give to questons and the depth of your knowledge. This thread was for people dipping their toe into the prospect of learning to play the uke. It was to reassure them they can learn to play without the need for all the other stuff. I realize all the other stuff is important but I just want them to know it can come later.

Last edited:
I am sure there are numbers and numbers of people that visit this site to see what the uke is all about. People that have NEVER played any kind of instrument before. Like any new endeavour it can be overwhelming and sometimes the broad range of opinions and topics of conservations here can scare off these people from ever dipping their toes in.

This thread was prompted because sometimes we get people brave enough to buy a uke and ask questions. Some of the things that get recommended are well meaning but serve no purpose at the green beginners stage.

Things you need to know to "START" playing the ukulele. #1...you form chords and change chords, #2 you strum. That is it in the beginning. You want to be selective on where you spend your time and what knowledge you pursue at the very start of your learning curve. Just concentrate on the physicality of learning the basic movements of forming chords, changing chords and strumming.

You don't need to learn how to tune by ear, scales, notes, keys, muting, chucking, rolls, triple strums, intonation, harmonics, etc. etc.

Download "Uncle Rods Bootcamp" work on that, seriously. Just like, golf or tennis or skiing you start with the basics to form a foundation you can then build from.

Jump in....... the water is fine and the ukulele is fun. Keep it that way and you will stay with it and continue to learn the more complex issues of music.

I would humbly add; find a few songs you like and try to apply the chords you're learning from"Uncle Rod's". They can be easy or hard, doesn't matter so long as they're songs you like and want to play. It took me a year to get the chords and changes to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" but it was worth it. Other songs like "Leaving on a Jet Plane" came easier.

Last edited:
One more vote for Dave. I just started in Sept. with a course at our Seniors Center. Basics! Holding, strumming, three simple chords to start. I would quit today if I had to learn theory.

I agree with Dave. I think that too much obsessiveness right off the bat spoils the experience. Most people are not born into it, they need to grow into it. I say that we need plant the seed with the new people, and then give them a little space to grow.

I have used this for beginners and face it, if you learn it you can make it through (in one way or another) about 75% of the songs out there.

Beginner chord chart in C.jpg

It was designed by a fellow UUer who I can't recall right now but would like to thank.

There's one more refinement I'd add: learn the root position(s) of every chord shape you learn from the very start.

I think I agree, but I also think there is some confusion here in the terminology. A "root position chord" is one where the lowest note sounding is the root note, i.e, a C in a C chord, an F in an F chord, etc. The root is at the bottom of the chord structure in a root position chord.

Now, I think you mean the chord positions fingered closest to the nut. Those may, or may not be root position chords. For example, the F chord fingered 2010 has an A on the bottom, so it a 1st inversion chord, not a root chord. I agree that beginners ought to start out with those generally more easily fingered chords before concerning themselves with barre chords and chords fingered higher up the fretboard.

I don't know a term specifically meaning those chords closest to the nut. Is there such a term?

Me too Dave. I've learned that I have little or no interest in learning Music Theory. It might keep me out of the Harps for Healing music program, but so be it. It's too boring, too complicated. Some of the best musicians I know have no knowledge of MT, and lots play by ear and don't read a note of music.
The more I read about it here, the more confused I become. I tried, now I'm nauseated....

I think I agree, but I also think there is some confusion here in the terminology. A "root position chord" is one where the lowest note sounding is the root note, i.e, a C in a C chord, an F in an F chord, etc. The root is at the bottom of the chord structure in a root position chord.

Now, I think you mean the chord positions fingered closest to the nut. Those may, or may not be root position chords. For example, the F chord fingered 2010 has an A on the bottom, so it a 1st inversion chord, not a root chord. I agree that beginners ought to start out with those generally more easily fingered chords before concerning themselves with barre chords and chords fingered higher up the fretboard.

I don't know a term specifically meaning those chords closest to the nut. Is there such a term?

I've reported the thread hijacking (and the overly-confrontational tone imho) to the mods. Hopefully they will be able to take some action.

ubulele,

There's no need to be crass. I'm into music and the ukulele for fun. I've been in school most of my life, as a scientist and a nurse. MT is abstract to me. I'm happy learning from tutorial videos, and tablature. I can read sheet music well enough to learn songs on my piano too. Sure, new learners don't need to be treated as dumb. Nobody does.
Just because I learn a different way than you do doesn't make me (or anyone else) morons.
Please, be nice. I do value your input.

Top Bottom