Mahalo-Spookefoote Screwfix Resonator

spookefoote

Reaction score
Lancashire, UK (Just around the corner from George
Ladies and gentlemen. May I present my latest marriage of inconvenience. A Mahalo U30 (China's finest soprano) combined with a Screwfix Clear Wax (apply liberally and rub in well!) tin.

The only downside is the Rotosound Lagunas (which are going in the bin tomorrow).

Still, sounds alright and lots of fun.

IMG_5542.jpgIMG_5535.jpgIMG_5537.jpgIMG_5539.jpg

So you included a paint job too? Nice work by the way. Ever considered a pin tin lid?

Cheers

Cliff

Great minds think alike eh? :)
I made one from a Grizzly kit and an Hershey's chocolate tin a few years ago that was quite similar to yours.
I got the idea from this video... http://youtu.be/MRkxyEtd5Yc ... anybody recognize that guy? :confused:
While that video sounds a bit harsh, in person these things sound very good.

S4300028.JPGS4300034.JPGS4300040.JPGS4300044.jpg

I am liking this idea. As a long time butcher of wood I might have to give this a try. well done both.
So if I am correct, it works something like this? Cut hole in soundboard, insert dowel "props" to strengthen, glue in tin sans lid and reconfigure bridge and tail block to suit?

Mine was a bit under engineered. I just cut the very bottom of the tin off, made sure the fit was perfect, and used the dowels to stop the top from sagging.

I upgraded the Mahalo today. I took the tin out, fitted more dowels around the inside of the sound box then fastened the tin back in with a couple of connector screws http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...h0P0RyW6!1369003739?fh_search=connector+screw through the tin and back of the body. No glue this time. The reason for this was that there was a slight vibrational buzz between the tin and the sound board. The new supporting dowels allow the tin to be held a little more securely without deforming the sound board. Works a treat and looks kind of industrial. No buzz and more volume. The horrible Rotosound strings are now in the bin and I obtained a more suitable set.

After a good session working on the nut, action and a naughty high fret it sounds peachy.

Too cool! After seeing these posts, almost positive I'll make my Grizzly kit into a resonator.

Cheers Phil.

May I recommend that if you're converting a soprano that you get a tin with a diameter of 100 - 112mm or 4 - 4.5" in the old money. The connector bolts do make a lot of difference and the kids at school, who are converting their old Mahalos, will be using them. They take out the rattle and hum and increase the resonance. Good luck mate. If there's anything I can do to help then don't hesitate to ask.

Top Bottom