Mahogany Opio ukes

rafter

Is this maybe the sapele version? I haven't played on myself, but I know a few people who have or have had one, and they preferred them to the acacia models.

actadh

Mine is a 2014 sapele Opio soprano. If that is a 2015, it is probably sapele as well. Mine says KoAloha on the bridge .

Booksniffer

Yes, it's sapele. :)

I have one; it's a wonderful instrument, not very flashy looking (more of an understated beauty) but the tone is *amazing*.

It has a nitro finish, which I think has a lot to do with how great it sounds.

Unfortunately, it's a concert, and I only play tenors at the moment. :D

M3Ukulele

Sapele for sure. Probably from one of the first batch or two on Opio. Brings up and interesting point, I wonder if KoAloha will ever do Opio in other woods. Kanile’a have their Oha which is Koa top and mahogany sides. I know KoAloha has their spruce top. Perhaps a nice full mahogany would be cool.

Teddy

Both Rebel and Opio had the mahogany/sapele, which was the Tiramasu for Rebel, and of course the spruce top/cheesecake models.

Koaloha never did an Opio mango but really started putting out mangos in their own line and then took a page from Rebels Particles and made the Naupaka.

The Uke lab and others seem to get some limited customs with different wood combinations.

rafter

I did not know the Particles predated the Naupaka. I thought it was the other way around (although I wouldn't know, neither were on my radar back when they were introduced).

Not to sidetrack, but I while I love koa on the KoAlohas, I find that I prefer the wood fret markers and etched inlay (and crown fretboard) of the Opios for a cleaner, less blingy look. If for some reason Opios were made in actual koa, I would probably opt for those, besides noting the price difference. I was surprised when KoAloha made those non-koa acacia models, given the Opios. But back to the original topic, a mahogany Opio sounds like it would be awesome.

Teddy

I did not know the Particles predated the Naupaka.

Yeah so the Particle (original) came first, and had a split top of cedar and spruce. The Original Fakes (new ones out now) have two types of cedar for the soundboard instead. Ukelikethepros website wrongly has the original fakes with a split spruce top but if you check Rebels site that's not the case. I think there's other back/side/binding/etc differences too.

I agree on the fretmarkers for the opio, way cleaner imo too.

UkeStuff

If anyone had a concert Sapele Opio they are willing to sell, let me know. I have a tenor that I bought as a new blem from Mim about five years ago for around $550, and I have always wanted the concert version. I’m not sure I want to sell the tenor, which I love, but if thr concert is as good as the tenor, I might. But I would have to compare them.