Mainland Red Cedar Soprano

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
I picked up one of these little beauties from the blemished pile...we wont discuss the blemish because nobody cares about it, but the ukulele looks awesome. A few years ago was completely of the Tenor mindset and was anti-rope binding...it is interesting how things change.

This little ukulele is loud, bright and clear...with a little bark. I had plucked around on one of these down at the red barn a year or so back and really loved the wood combination. Between the rosewood back and sides, you keep a nice bright and tight tone with a little depth and warmth added from the cedar top. It is so bright, that there are times that I think it may sound a hair "thin" despite its volume...this is just the nature of the wood and the unique voice that it has. I know in the last few years, there has been a big "mahogany awakening" in the ukulele world and I'm glad for that. This however, is the total opposite from the mahogany movement...I have always preferred rosewood over mahogany for looks and for sound. I sometimes find mahogany instruments to be bassy and a little muddled. I appreciate lighter and brighter because of the clean sound and resulting clarity, but not at the expense of depth. If you're like me in that respect, I think you'll dig this uke.

It was set up real nice, with low action and quick, easy playability...that's always easy to get from Mike because I think his wife does all the work:) I would be real interested in hearing one without the high gloss to see how it affects the tone. All in all...this is alot of bang for the buck. I'm going to presume that this is not the sound everyone is looking for but it is a quality build with a good sound nonetheless, and reminding me again that... not all great ukes are made in hawaii.

Hey cornfedgroove,
Congrats on your new uke. Could you tell me what the specs are on the fretboard for the Mainland uke. Are they the traditional 1 3/8" at the nut? I have read where people say the fretboards are bigger on the mainlands and I did'nt know if they were talking about wider or thicker. Do they feel thin like the Kalas or thicker like the Ponos or wide like the Kanile'a ? I am considering buying a Mainland without being able to play one first and just go on the high opinions of so many forum members. Thanks

Top Bottom