Makai Ukuleles?

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anybody have or has anybody had a Makai ukulele? Any thoughts on them?

I saw some at a shop in San Francisco. They were nice looking and reasonably priced, but kind of heavy and dull sounding compared to more expensive instruments with similar specs.

I saw some at a shop in San Francisco. They were nice looking and reasonably priced, but kind of heavy and dull sounding compared to more expensive instruments with similar specs.

Thanks for your help. It's hard to shop for ukuleles that you can't try out.

I have two sopranos. One laminate (willow) and one solid top (cedar). Both very good. nice construction, intonation, sound. I play them frequently. No complaints from me

Eugenio

I have two sopranos. One laminate (willow) and one solid top (cedar). Both very good. nice construction, intonation, sound. I play them frequently. No complaints from me

Eugenio

Cool, did you get them online or were you able to try them before buying?

Aren't they the same as/very similar to Ohana and Mainland?

Lots of similarities to all of the other budget priced ukuleles built off shore. But, not much marketing or dealer strength. I've tried an Ohana and a Mainland. Thinking about a Makai but all I can find are pictures, no reviews or audio samples.

I got them both online in Amazon (return accepted), they were both at a discount. They turned out good kids, so I kept them

Congrats on your good experience getting the Makai ukuleles from Amazon. While I had no ordering or delivery issues buying my Ohana and Mainland online, I ended up selling both. No real problems with them except that unlike your "good kids" I didn't bond with mine.

Yes very similar to mainland. My luthier friends buys B stock makai and sets them up. He used to sell mainland. He thinks makai are better but that's probably because he's selling them :) I think they're decent. I have played many of them. I have another friend who buys and sells high end guitars and he bought one from this guy. I was surprised. I asked him why he said it plays great and sounds good. So those are endorsement. my favorite one they make is with cedar and Juneberry.

Top Bottom