Make a You Tube video?

I recentely played for a new friend of mine....she said she thinks I'm good enough to post my own You Tube video. I've been watching them for years, but I have no idea how I would go about making one. Any tips gang?

If you want to skip messing with video for the time being, you could also just do audio recordings and put them onto SoundCloud. You can even record directly on SoundCloud and you will only need a microphone plugged into your computer. Since you are on XP, you may also need a different browser installed such as FireFox, Chrome, or Opera in order to use the website.

If you want to make YouTube videos to learn from them try to forget about the view thing. You can always pull your video and reissue it with an improved version. You will lose your view count but do you want to be famous or do you want to learn to play ukulele well?

Get a simple and inexpensive mic with a digital interface (not those iRig clunkers that use the headphone jack) and you have pretty decent quality video. You can find the Tascam IM2 stereo microphone for iPhone for less than $20 just about anywhere and it does a pretty good job.

Do you (or anyone) know of any good microphones that would work with the Iphone 5 Lightning connection? Or if just using this one with an adapter will work just the same without affecting the quality?

Also, how come the ones that plug into the headphone jack are no good? There's loads of them out there!

Thanks

Do you (or anyone) know of any good microphones that would work with the Iphone 5 Lightning connection? Or if just using this one with an adapter will work just the same without affecting the quality?

Also, how come the ones that plug into the headphone jack are no good? There's loads of them out there!

Thanks

Hang on .....am I reading that right ??:confused: Microphone into headphone socket ....?? .....ermm .....is that not a bit like going up a one way street the wrong way ??:deadhorse:....or am I missing something ? (probably missing something ):D

He's on an Iphone... The headphone jack also works as a mic jack so you can use headphones with a microphone in them. You know; for people who can't figure out how Bluetooth works.

The mics he wants to use are meant for computers. The problem is that the mics that have plugs similar to a headphone jack that actually plug into a mic jack on a computer were never meant to be used in a jack that doubles as a speaker jack... Plugging a computer mic into that kind of jack should work brilliantly, but mysteriously doesn't.

In iphone, even an older 4s does a great job recording video, the internal mic isn't great though.

Get a simple and inexpensive mic with a digital interface (not those iRig clunkers that use the headphone jack) and you have pretty decent quality video. You can find the Tascam IM2 stereo microphone for iPhone for less than $20 just about anywhere and it does a pretty good job.

I recommend spending a few bucks on the MoviePro app instead of the built in video camera because you can adjust FPS and resolution and get a decent quality vid with a much smaller file size. Upload that to YouTube and use their built in editor to clip the start, stop, and a title and perhaps a fade in and out effect. If you already have an old phone lying around its a great option. There are some cheap little camera tripod mounts as well if you want more flexibility with camera placement.

I checked out the IM2. It looks perfect but I have an iPhone 6 with the lighting connector. Anything similar on the market I can plug directly into the iPhone without dealing with an adaptor?

I checked out the IM2. It looks perfect but I have an iPhone 6 with the lighting connector. Anything similar on the market I can plug directly into the iPhone without dealing with an adaptor?

Zoom and Blue both make microphones with Lightning connectors -- they're about $80-$90 on Amazon. Haven't used one, but both are quality companies.

kk. lots of free programs out there. I use one that came with my webcam for video capture(yours might have a built in microphone), one for extracting the audio from the video raw footage, and audacity(google the legacy version as it will work in xp) for audio work. Hope you already have windows movie maker on your computer because microsoft no longer supports xp and I use this for video editing(i don't know of a freeware alternative.) I am just starting out and am having issues that I need to work out with this process myself.
Google/Youtube has a free editing utility available when you set up a Youtube channel. I am just starting to dabble with making videos and have never edited one to my satisfaction. I need a better microphone than what my HP Pavillion provides. I am also looking into a lavalier microphone for use to amplify both uke and my voice at campfires and suchlike. A reasonable quality lavalier can apparently be obtained for about $100. Audio Technica are most frequently recommended. It has been suggested that the omni-directional pick-up from a lavalier can pick-up extraneous noise that is undesirable for making videos. A friend of mine does have a lavalier that seems to work well for videos. Take your pick here.

Ohmless, What kind of app do I need to rip the audio from the video. Is it in Windows Moviemaker?

I use windows and have a program I found on download.com called "Free video to audio converter 2014" I use wav format in the highest resolution offered.

Apogee MiC is really good. I don't have experience with anything else but it is the gold standard as far as I am concerned without an adapter or an audio interface. I've been pleased with the audio quality. It's a mono mic though, not stereo but I get very clean sound with no ambient noise. I used a portable Zoom stereo mic before with good results but it picks up a lot more noise due to the cardioid pattern.

If you prefer traditional microphones you can use elsewhere then a decent 1 or two input interface from FocusRite like the 2i2 is worth considering.

Hang on .....am I reading that right ??:confused: Microphone into headphone socket ....?? .....ermm .....is that not a bit like going up a one way street the wrong way ??:deadhorse:....or am I missing something ? (probably missing something ):D

Yeah it sounds odd CJ but Apple made that port useable as an input for different devices. There are a number of products that use the jack for that. My research made me avoid that option though for both instrument and mic because of interfering noise and/or lesser audio quality.

If you want to make YouTube videos to learn from them try to forget about the view thing. You can always pull your video and reissue it with an improved version. You will lose your view count but do you want to be famous or do you want to learn to play ukulele well?

Just an FYI about deleted videos. The view stats for them still show up in you view history. In fact when you look at your analytics, the deleted videos are still on the list, they just say "deleted" and the video ID.

For my Seasons vids, My husband or daughter film me with my husband's phone. I'd like to use my laptop. I think I'd relax and enjoy it more if I could do this independently. My issue is, when I use my webcam, it sounds distorted and loud. I don't know how to fix this. It's an HP laptop with Vista. I have tried recording using YouTube & also with You Cam.

Most webcams can't keep up with the fast motion of stumming very well but the audio is rally more important anyway right?

Your problem is related to not being able to adjust the gain so that the audio doesn't clip and distort. Using a USB microphone should improve things quite a bit for you. One with a gain control makes it even easier. I don't know what you budget is but take a look at a Blue brand miss like a Snowball or Yeti microphone. The snowball you can find for less than $50 and will be much better than you laptop internal microphone and allow you better control over the volume and avoid distortion and clipping.

Yeah it sounds odd CJ but Apple made that port useable as an input for different devices. There are a number of products that use the jack for that. My research made me avoid that option though for both instrument and mic because of interfering noise and/or lesser audio quality.

Well never let it be said that I'm not open to a two way dialogue ...but in the same jack socket ....oh well......

I use a Sony Video 8 Handy Cam ...yes old school...connected to a PC and Hooked up with Roxio VHS to DVD software....I record straight to the PC .....the camera has a built in mic which is okay but can pick up auto focus and other servo motor noises...or plug a condenser Mic into the mic socket..

I also record into Cubase AI5 software . Ha, the last time I spoke or wrote of this subject I got a five mile sniper remark saying "huh ,you don't need all this software. A phone will do it "....well I don't have a phone...or a tablet ...or a laptop ...so there :biglaugh:

Yes a phone will do the basics ....but already folks are finding the drawbacks....and if basics good enough then fine...if you want to push the envelope and try other things a bit further on then....

Software like Audacity is available free on the internet...and you can buy a cheap mic/instrument to computer interface from radio Shack (are they still going ?)
Cheap movie Editing software is available like Movie Pro Plus X5 from serif...and very good it is too...all software takes a bit of getting used to and if you don't want it .Fine .....but it's out there .....

In iphone, even an older 4s does a great job recording video, the internal mic isn't great though.

I recommend spending a few bucks on the MoviePro app instead of the built in video camera because you can adjust FPS and resolution and get a decent quality vid with a much smaller file size. Upload that to YouTube and use their built in editor to clip the start, stop, and a title and perhaps a fade in and out effect. If you already have an old phone lying around its a great option. There are some cheap little camera tripod mounts as well if you want more flexibility with camera placement.

I just bought a Joby GripTight so I can conveniently hold my Nokia phone on a tripod.
I have noticed if I use the iSight camera on the Macbook air it picks up the whir from the fan.
I hate that, so recording with a phone often gives better results. Here is what the Grip Tight
looks like.

Top Bottom