Mammoth v Elephant Ivory nut,saddle, do you really know?

I had always drunk the kool aid when it came to preferring bone or ivory for nuts, saddles and pins but when respected luthiers recommend materials like Tusq and the recommendation is based on the sonic quality of that material, I have to put aside my pervious perceptions and take note.

2013-06-24 04.09.51.jpg_MG_4712.jpg_MG_4718.jpg_MG_5062.jpgWe had a herd pass through in Tarangire and then hung out with us for about 30 minutes eating. It was a very moving experience seeing them interact with each other, socializing and playing. Yes, culling seems to be a necessary evil which was never needed until people got involved. Hopefully people can be more educated, but unfortunately when government and bureaucracy are involved it seems actions are taken in the wrong direction or not taken at all because they are afraid to make the "right" decisions because of special interest groups. As a photographer, going to Africa is like a ukulele player getting a Mo' Bettah.....it's a bucket list item well worth the journey.

Attachments

• _MG_4710.jpg
    _MG_4710.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 8
I had always drunk the kool aid when it came to preferring bone or ivory for nuts, saddles and pins but when respected luthiers recommend materials like Tusq and the recommendation is based on the sonic quality of that material, I have to put aside my pervious perceptions and take note.

I agree regarding ivory, but not with bone. Tusq may look better under the microscope (so to speak) and it's far better than plastic. But to my ear, at least with steel strings, Tusq is overly bright to the point of sounding brittle. It's also softer than bone, so it wears faster at the nut and saddle. Wear probably isn't much of an issue with nylon or similar strings, but bone holds up much better under steel. I've seen years-old bone saddles that show virtually no wear, compared with months-old Tusq saddles with grooves from steel strings. And unlike Tusq, bone polishes up to a nice sheen.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

When I build I can make adjustments in my technique or the woods used to make an uke that is bright, warm, sweet, loud or subdued. Those are characteristics built in the uke that saddle material will only have a slight affect on. What I like about a composite saddle is it's consistency. Whereas bone and ivory have can be all over the place with regard to porosity, weight, and consistency, with a composite I know what to expect uke after uke. I've built hundreds of ukes with bone saddles and only several dozen with Tusq and for now at least, for what I want to hear in an uke, I prefer Tusq. I think all these materials have their place given a specific instance. As always, experiment on your own and see if you get the results you like.

Why can't they relocate them to where there aren't enough?
Seems like something the elephants would benefit from.

or is it because a bullet is cheaper than the petrol?

The article Chuck points to specifically says:
Amid words of protest and expressions of relief environment minister Martinus van Schalkwyk announced
the elephant had been a victim of its own success with numbers growing from 8,000 to nearly 20,000 in national
parks and private reserves in just over a decade.

Unveiling a new conservation plan he stressed that the killing of excess animals would only be allowed once all other
available options - including translocation and contraception - had been ruled out.

When I build I can make adjustments in my technique or the woods used to make an uke that is bright, warm, sweet, loud or subdued. Those are characteristics built in the uke that saddle material will only have a slight affect on. What I like about a composite saddle is it's consistency. Whereas bone and ivory have can be all over the place with regard to porosity, weight, and consistency, with a composite I know what to expect uke after uke.

I expect consistency is the reason large guitar companies use it. And on a ukulele, I wouldn't expect it to make a great deal of difference. But saddle material matters more on steel string guitars, at least to my ear. Bone gives me a rounder, clearer tone, and it stands up better to the wear of steel strings. The tonal difference is subtle, but it works for me, especially on a guitar that's bright by design.

That said, I have a Martin 000-15 which has a Micarta saddle, and I love the tone as it is, so the Micarta stays.

I think that article is from 2008. Later articles seem indicate massive poaching since that timeframe threatens extinction of the elephant kingdom.

At the bottom of this is the overall instability of governments on nearly the entire continent. There is no industrialization and ivory, as well poaching of tigers, is an easy source of income that most government officials profit from.

Elephants are just a means to an end.

John

I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck. Just because an animal's body part works better, doesn't mean we should use it. I am so dead set against animal testing too, it should be banned altogether. Trophy hunting is for idiots. Anyone who would knowingly buy elephant ivory is not even a good excuse for a human.
I feel so adamantly strong about this that if I were young and could do as I please, I'd become a poacher hunter, like the young heroine I read about last year. She carries a high powered rifle and pistol and hunts down and kills the poachers. And who's to say I might not even set traps for trophy hunters, and maybe try to scare them off?
I am completely ok with Tusq nuts and saddles, especially where nylon strings are concerned.
If I offended anyone, I didn't mean to, I am just very passionate about animal's rights.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck. Just because an animal's body part works better, doesn't mean we should use it. I am so dead set against animal testing too, it should be banned altogether. Trophy hunting is for a-holes. Anyone who would knowingly buy elephant ivory is an a-hole.
I feel so adamantly strong about this that if I were young and could do as I please, I'd become a poacher hunter, like the young heroine I read about last year. She carries a high powered rifle and pistol and hunts down and kills the hunters. And who's to say I might not even set traps for trophy hunters?
I am completely ok with Tusq nuts and saddles, especially where nylon strings are concerned.
If I offended anyone, I didn't mean to, I am just very passionate about animal's rights.

Nickie, what do you define as a trophy hunter and for what reason would feel justified in killing them? If these "trophy hunters" are hunting within guidelines and laws for responsible harvesting, and if the animals parts(meat, hide, and bone) are not wasted, then what is wrong with this sort of hunting? Every effort should be made to quickly and cleanly harvest the animal, just as in a properly ran slaughterhouse.

Responsible use and management is most often funded by hunters, like myself, who deeply care about the preservation and utilization of our animals. Sustainabiity is the key.

Everything dies. We all cause animal death regularly. Are you a vegan? Do you drive? Do you live in a home or apartment? Do you utilize paved roadways? All of those things kill animals. We are animals and we have to interact with nature. It uses us and we use it. And, yes, sometimes we pollute it and destroy it, and sometimes we work to maintain it and restore it. But no matter how we slice it, we cause death to animals. If I didn't shoot that deer, then she may have been hit by a car or who knows what, but what I do know is that she would have died someday, and it would have likely been by getting hit by a car or by getting older and slower and being dragged down and eaten alive by coyotes. I don't begrudge the coyotes. I don't envy the deer but I do love and admire it.

Everything eats and is eaten. The most devout vegans still must eat. And unless they only eat things they forage for in their immediate area then they contribute to substantial animal death. If we eat any farmed products like wheat, soy, corn, rice, quinoa, beans, lettuce, carrots, etc, then we contribute a great deal. Have you ever plowed, combined, or hayed a field? I have. Sorrowfully I have destroyed nests of baby turkey and young deer and countless thousands of gophers and moles and a whole host of animals. It is a sad fact of the feeding of our masses that death happens so life can happen.

For the record I don't like trophy hunting because of its lack of emphasis on the animal for sustainance, but as long as the animal is used by the hunter or those in need, then I see nothing wrong with it, and I can not for the life of me think why you would feel justified in killing trophy hunters or anyone for that matter.

Nickie, what do you define as a trophy hunter and for what reason would feel justified in killing them? If these "trophy hunters" are hunting within guidelines and laws for responsible harvesting, and if the animals parts(meat, hide, and bone) are not wasted, then what is wrong with this sort of hunting? Every effort should be made to quickly and cleanly harvest the animal, just as in a properly ran slaughterhouse.

Responsible use and management is most often funded by hunters, like myself, who deeply care about the preservation and utilization of our animals. Sustainability is the key.

Everything dies. We all cause animal death regularly. Are you a vegan? Do you drive? Do you live in a home or apartment? Do you utilize paved roadways? All of those things kill animals. We are animals and we have to interact with nature. It uses us and we use it. And, yes, sometimes we pollute it and destroy it, and sometimes we work to maintain it and restore it. But no matter how we slice it, we cause death to animals. If I didn't shoot that deer, then she may have been hit by a car or who knows what, but what I do know is that she would have died someday, and it would have likely been by getting hit by a car or by getting older and slower and being dragged down and eaten alive by coyotes. I don't begrudge the coyotes. I don't envy the deer but I do love and admire it.

Everything eats and is eaten. The most devout vegans still must eat. And unless they only eat things they forage for in their immediate area then they contribute to substantial animal death. If we eat any farmed products like wheat, soy, corn, rice, quinoa, beans, lettuce, carrots, etc, then we contribute a great deal. Have you ever plowed, combined, or hayed a field? I have. Sorrowfully I have destroyed nests of baby turkey and young deer and countless thousands of gophers and moles and a whole host of animals. It is a sad fact of the feeding of our masses that death happens so life can happen.

For the record I don't like trophy hunting because of its lack of emphasis on the animal for sustenance, but as long as the animal is used by the hunter or those in need, then I see nothing wrong with it, and I can not for the life of me think why you would feel justified in killing trophy hunters or anyone for that matter.

Well stated, my friend. I have tilled the soil also, and I know I have destroyed wild things, owls, rabbits, gophers, squirrels, unintentionally. I have harvested many a bale of hay, and many a slab of sod (having been a farmer). I have sprayed many a pesticide, before I became aware of the damage they cause. I am (sheesh, here I am defending myself) not a Vegan, or a vegetarian, but I eat less meat than ever. I have even smoked (a little) and drank booze and eaten junk food and polluted my bodily house, which is part of the planet we all live on. I do not do those things now. Even this, I have harbored many an ill thought, which is pollution of the mind and damage to the soul.
Seeing animals heads on walls and pictures of people posed by innocent animals they have shot makes me sick. How do you know those poor critters didn't drag themselves for a mile or two before they bled to death? And what is the sport, say, in shooting coyotes and bears from a helicopter? Or trapping a poor animal by the leg? UGH.
Killing for sustenance is one thing, but killing for a piece of ivory, or for "fun" is sick, sick, sick.
I know only too well about Death being the ultimate harvester. I work as a hospice nurse. We are all going to perish from Earth, one way or another. It bothers me that most people cannot have voluntary euthanasia. Death is not the enemy, it is even our friend, our escape from suffering, but needless slaughter and maiming is immoral.
Yes, I might think twice about shooting a trophy hunter and feeding his sorry remains to a croc, but I would have no compunctions whatever about killing poachers.

Well stated, my friend. I have tilled the soil also, and I know I have destroyed wild things, owls, rabbits, gophers, squirrels, unintentionally. I have harvested many a bale of hay, and many a slab of sod (having been a farmer). I have sprayed many a pesticide, before I became aware of the damage they cause. I am (sheesh, here I am defending myself) not a Vegan, or a vegetarian, but I eat less meat than ever. I have even smoked (a little) and drank booze and eaten junk food and polluted my bodily house, which is part of the planet we all live on. I do not do those things now. Even this, I have harbored many an ill thought, which is pollution of the mind and damage to the soul.
Seeing animals heads on walls and pictures of people posed by innocent animals they have shot makes me sick. How do you know those poor critters didn't drag themselves for a mile or two before they bled to death? And what is the sport, say, in shooting coyotes and bears from a helicopter? Or trapping a poor animal by the leg? UGH.
Killing for sustenance is one thing, but killing for a piece of ivory, or for "fun" is sick, sick, sick.
I know only too well about Death being the ultimate harvester. I work as a hospice nurse. We are all going to perish from Earth, one way or another. It bothers me that most people cannot have voluntary euthanasia. Death is not the enemy, it is even our friend, our escape from suffering, but needless slaughter and maiming is immoral.
Yes, I might think twice about shooting a trophy hunter and feeding his sorry remains to a croc, but I would have no compunctions whatever about killing poachers.

Thank you for your candid reply Nickie. I am glad this was posted because we only get one of these earths. I hope we can take better care of it. Happy Strumming.

Trevor

Thank you for your candid reply Nickie. I am glad this was posted because we only get one of these earths. I hope we can take better care of it. Happy Strumming.

Trevor

You are very welcome UkieOkie! Honesty is the best policy. I know I am not always right, but I am always candid, unless it will really hurt someone's feelings unnecessarily!
Have a glorious day!

Top Bottom