Mandola (Mandolin)

Down Up Dick

Anybody ever play the Mandola? How did/do you like it? I’m thinking of buyin‘ one, but I dunno . . .

VintageGibson

Anybody ever play the Mandola? How did/do you like it? I’m thinking of buyin‘ one, but I dunno . . .
A couple of years ago I had a severe case of GAS combined with some spare cash that was burning a hole in my pocket, so I convinced myself that I needed an Octave Mandola. I had already some, but not a lot of experience playing Mandolin.
In case you are not familiar, the family is as follows;
Mandolin, approx 14 inch scale, tuned G D A E, low to high in double courses.
Tenor Mandola approx 17 inch scale, tuned C G D A, the pitch of the A strings are the same as the 2nd strings of the Mandolin.
Octave Mandola approx 20/22 inch scale tuned G D A E one octave lower than the Mandolin
Mandocello Approx 25 inch scale, tuned C G D A one octave lower than the Tenor Mandola.

My Octave Mandola is a good instrument but unfortunately we didn't gel.
I didn't like the very boomy bass sound of the two lower sets of strings so I changed these to octave pairs ( like the lower strings on a 12 string guitar) For me, this is better but would probably cause problems for melody players.
Scale length makes mandolin chords too much of a stretch for me, String tension adds to chording problems.
I also play 12 string guitar with no difficulty.

Just some points to consider, especially if you are coming from a uke background.
Basically, for me, it's an expensive wall hanger.

Vintage

Last edited:

Down Up Dick

A couple of years ago I had a severe case of GAS combined with some spare cash that was burning a hole in my pocket, so I convinced myself that I needed an Octave Mandola. I had already some, but not a lot of experience playing Mandolin.
In case you are not familiar, the family is as follows;
Mandolin, approx 14 inch scale, tuned G D A E, low to high in double courses.
Tenor Mandola approx 17 inch scale, tuned C G D A, the pitch of the A strings are the same as the 2nd strings of the Mandolin.
Octave Mandola approx 20/22 inch scale tuned G D A E one octave lower than the Mandolin
Mandocello Approx 25 inch scale, tuned C G D A one octave lower than the Tenor Mandola.

My Octave Mandola is a good instrument but unfortunately we didn't gel.
I didn't like the very boomy bass sound of the two lower sets of strings so I changed these to octave pairs ( like the lower strings on a 12 string guitar) For me, this is better but would probably cause problems for melody players.
Scale length makes mandolin chords too much of a stretch for me, String tension adds to chording problems.
I also play 12 string guitar with no difficulty.

Just some points to consider, especially if you are coming from a uke background.
Basically, for me, it's an expensive wall hanger.

Vintage
Thanks for the info. No, i play mandolins now. I have a Type A, a Mando-Banjo and a Seagull. In fact, they’re my favorites. I just thought I’d like to try somethin’ a bit different. I don’t want an Octave though.

I really wanted a new type F, but it would be tuned the same as my A, so no difference.— ahhh, well . . . So mebbe, mebbe not.

Jim Yates

In North America, the instrument tuned an octave below the mandolin is called an octave mandolin (OM).
The mandola is tuned the same as a viola - CGDA so an octave mandola would be an octave below that. I have never seen an octave mandola.
I have played a mandola and they are very similar to playing a mandolin. The octave mandolin has a long enough scalelength that certain chord forms that are easy on madolin are impossible 9for me to play on the OM, so I tune my OM to GDAD.
Mandolin & mandola.jpg
Mandolin and mandola (not mine)

My OM
tc.jpg

Down Up Dick

Well, lately, with my Classical Guitar on hiatus, I’ve been whackin’ away my other instruments, and havin’ a moderately good time. So, my burning lust for a Mandola has cooled some. I can’t find one for sale anyhow.

So, thanks for the info. I believe I’ll ponder a while longer. Mebbe until another whim starts nudgin’ me.

Knows Picker

Gold Tone has some decent stuff and has nice quality control too.

I actually started on the mandolin before the ukulele. I still mess around with it. Just past 2000 something I got one of those Asian Over the Top Inlaid instruments. It is a mandola. Boy, if looks could kill!! Griffins all over the place! It is more like a A style mandolin in shape, with a roundish sound hole and a very deep body. Scale about 17 inches. Never played it overly much, as at the time I was more into jigs and reels. The body was just too resonant. I got it back out recently, looked at the scale length and said, hmmm, 17 inches, lets try the string combination I just got for a solid body electric tenor!!

It's quite the thing now!!

Down Up Dick

Well, Knows, thanks for the info. I’ve never seen one like that. I’m glad you got it fixed up.

Down Up Dick

Well, last night, when I was looking out the front window as I always do while locking up, I saw a big box. Thinking it was for someone else, I brought it into the house to check, and it was my new Gold Tone Mandola! Wow! And it was three days early!

I unwrapped it to find that it was a very nice looking instrument indeed. It comes with an all right gig bag. I twiddled the strings in the kitchen (shhh), and it was pretty much outta tune but made some noise. The strings are very tight, and that’s a negative for me, but I still haven’t tuned or played it yet. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

I have 5 Gold Tones, and they’ve all been great for me after I whipped some of them into shape. I never did come to love or even like the darned Cello Banjo. It was just not my cup of tea or even water. I finally gave up and sold at a big loss — ahhh, well . . .

Down Up Dick

Today I sent for some lighter strings and some heavier picks for my mandola. Its strings are very tight. I can fret them, but they’re too tight. I have one 2.0 mm pick. and I liked the sound it made the last coupla days.