Martin Beck Handmade Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks Baz, seems like a great ukulele.

I'm going to check him out. Email sent.
Ha, I emailed him today too. I wonder how many new orders are going to come out of Baz’s review. That thing sounded amazing.

Those sneak peek photos last week were mouth-watering. I had no clue it was a Martin Beck. I've seen these pop up in World of Ukes but had no idea about the quality. I was surprised how good a score it got but I definitely get why. It takes some effort to make a plain looking spruce top look that gorgeous.

Thank god I just commissioned a new custom from another luthier. Otherwise I might've been very tempted. :D

I've already received a reply from him....so he is attentive.
Yeah - had an email exchange with him post review - seems like a very nice guy

I've already received a reply from him....so he is attentive.
Nothing for me yet. Wonder if he got hit with a lot of inquiries.

EDIT: Of course, I get a response right after I posted this. Will leave my original post up as a testament to my impatience, but folks should know he is very responsive.

Last edited:
Excellent review. He's on my list of covets. Thanks Baz.

I replied to his reply, asking some questions. He didn't know about through the bridge stringing (I don't like pin bridges), so I sent him some pictures. I told him that's what I want, if he's going to build me an ukulele.

This is wonderful!

I replied to his reply, asking some questions. He didn't know about through the bridge stringing (I don't like pin bridges), so I sent him some pictures. I told him that's what I want, if he's going to build me an ukulele.
I'm a tie bar guy myself. I've have a uke with a slotted bridge too. Havent used a pin since my acoustic guitar days. Is this all personal preference, or what? Is there an advantage to the bridge types, sound wise? Somebody probably thinks so. Maybe they're right! I like tie bar solely because I can quickly and easily string the uke up as Ive memorized the knot. Theres no other reason I prefer it. I prefer the tie bar to the slotted because when I change strings on my slotted bridge uke I have to look the knot up to tie it right (Ashley stopper is what I use). I'd be more apt to believe a specific bridge strategy lends itself to a longer string lifetime than it does to improved tone, but all i know about ukes ive read on this board so idk really.

I'm a tie bar guy myself. I've have a uke with a slotted bridge too. Havent used a pin since my acoustic guitar days. Is this all personal preference, or what? Is there an advantage to the bridge types, sound wise? Somebody probably thinks so. Maybe they're right! I like tie bar solely because I can quickly and easily string the uke up as Ive memorized the knot. Theres no other reason I prefer it. I prefer the tie bar to the slotted because when I change strings on my slotted bridge uke I have to look the knot up to tie it right (Ashley stopper is what I use). I'd be more apt to believe a specific bridge strategy lends itself to a longer string lifetime than it does to improved tone, but all i know about ukes ive read on this board so idk really.
For me it depends on the uke. On smaller bodied ukes I like a slot style as they don't take up too much real estate. Don't think they need any particular type of knot (or at least i've never used one in 20 years! I just tie either a single knot on the fatter strings or a double on the thinner - just enough to avoid it slipping through).

I like pin bridges, partly because I kind of view them as the same as slot bridges (they effectively are, just with a pin to hold the knotted end down instead of a slot) and find them just as easy to change. Maybe that's because I also play guitar and all my instruments have them.

The through bridge puts a lot of people off who thing the change is difficult - it's really not and less work than a tie bar. The advantage is supposedly more downward tension in to the saddle due to the more severe break angle. I'd say, no better than a pin bridge for that, but more angle than a slot or tie bar.

Tie bar I like for the look to be honest - very traditional.

Through the body and slotted bridges are the fastest, and simplest to restring. The big advantage of through the body (TTB) stringing is that it doesn't pull the bridge away from the body. It actually forces the bridge down on the body. The disadvantage is, if it's placed wrong, it can't be moved like the other bridges.
I've had a tie bridge come loose and split my top, I'll never buy another one.

Through the body and slotted bridges are the fastest, and simplest to restring. The big advantage of through the body (TTB) stringing is that it doesn't pull the bridge away from the body. It actually forces the bridge down on the body. The disadvantage is, if it's placed wrong, it can't be moved like the other bridges.
I've had a tie bridge come loose and split my top, I'll never buy another one.
Slot style is faster than through bridge - literally just hooking a knot in a slot?

Top Bottom