Martin LX1E

Nickie

Reaction score
Does anyone own one of these? What do you think of it?

I don't own one. However, the Guitar Center near me has them in stock. So, chances are, your Guitar Center might have it in stock too. It's worth the slight extra to buy in person and test out the actual instrument.

Also, why not get a "full size" guitar? It doesn't have to be a dreadnought.

We have one here. We are considering a trade for it. There are already 4 full sized guitars here, need something lighter, more compact. The neck seems overly thick.

I have a Martin LX. The difference is an HPL top instead of spruce. I was looking for something small for my kid to learn on. The size is great. The weight is not. The neck is a little thick, like you mentioned, but not terribly so; my kid's small hands can manage it. I think between the layered neck and the HPL, the weight of it is the biggest issue. I've heard complaints about how well the wood is glued to the HPL, but I can't speak to that. I have a Martin 0X (soprano) that I really like, which is why I gave the Martin a shot.

Would I get it again? Probably not. The sound is not that impressive, even making concessions for its size. I'm not dissatisfied, since I got a deal on it, but I'd probably make a different choice if I had to do it again. I ended up finding another deal later, on an Islander (Kanile'a) mini guitar. I didn't even know they made guitars--I don't mean their guitarlele. The Islander sounds much better, one of the best solid top laminates I've played, especially for a mini guitar. But it's bigger than the Martin. Sizing varies from maker to maker, but the Martin is more like a 1/2 size whereas the Islander is closer to a 3/4. I haven't found many guitars the size of the little Martin series.

I don't know what you're looking for in a smaller guitar, but if you want something that small for portability reasons, the weight might make you think twice; the Martin feels like a full size guitar. The spruce top on the LX1 instead of the HPL top might make it a bit lighter, but the neck adds much of the weight.

My kid's small and the size of the Martin works for her now. But I have the Islander for her to move on to when she gets a little bigger. The Islander, if you're interested in that as an option, was about $100 more than the Martin, but it's larger size might not make it as good for travel.

Curious...
How goes the little Martin?

I know you asked about the Martin LX1E but if the weight of the HPL top or the size of the neck becomes an issue, have you looked at the BT1 Baby Taylor? Spruce top, laminated back and sides and sapele neck with an ebony fret board. GC usually has them in stock too.

I have a Martin LX1E and the Martin LXM. I love the LXM, it sounds good and is my favorite practice guitar when I'm working on vocals. I don't use it for acoustic performances because the sound doesn't really project. The guitars are a bit denser and heavier than you would expect from such a small guitar.

I put in a simple Fishman pickup in the LXM, and the LX1E comes standard with electronics. Amplified, the guitars sound pretty amazing - far better than unamplified.

So for recordings and practice, they are pretty decent guitars. For live performances I use a parlour guitar that sounds great unamplified.

Thanks for your help, you all. My wife has a chance to get one by trade with an acquaintance of mine. She may be tradin in her full size rosewood/spruce guitar for it.
The Martin is heavy....weighs more than her ubass.

Thanks for your help, you all. My wife has a chance to get one by trade with an acquaintance of mine. She may be tradin in her full size rosewood/spruce guitar for it.
The Martin is heavy....weighs more than her ubass.

I'm surprisingly invested. Staying tuned; keep us updated.

I should correct my comment, it's been a while, but after reading RustyFingers' comment, I believe the one I got was the LXM--I don't think there was just an "LX" model. All HPL body.

Top Bottom