Martin ukulele history by Chris Martin

man0a

I've seen this video at least a couple of times over the years (the video is 11 years old). Searching for Chris Martin shows the video mentioned in at least 2 threads in this forum:

besley

I've enjoyed that too. And my takeaway was the comment on how their first ukes were overbuilt, like little guitars. I've always suspected that this is the issue with Fender ukes not sounding great acoustically.

EDW

I've enjoyed that too. And my takeaway was the comment on how their first ukes were overbuilt, like little guitars. I've always suspected that this is the issue with Fender ukes not sounding great acoustically.
Yes, I think that is a common problem. A couple of years ago I was in a shop that had some luthier made instruments from a builder who also makes guitars. They were gorgeous instruments with lovely woods and great detail. They were pretty heavy and sounded really dead.

man0a

I like the part about 8.5 minutes into this video where he says he is impressed by an unnamed woman who plays rock-and-roll ukulele on the streets. I found this on YouTube. She would have been about 15 years old in 2005.