Measure once cut twice?

I was convinced that he button strap would be more out of the way above the neck, please enjoy a laugh at my expense.

I call this the T1K "ultra light"

Attachments

• PXL_20210910_213651273.jpg
    PXL_20210910_213651273.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 85

badhabits

Back in the day, drillium was highly coveted by cyclists for it's weight-saving properties.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
I was convinced that he button strap would be more out of the way above the neck, please enjoy a laugh at my expense.

I call this the T1K "ultra light"
Been there, done that. Still hurts to look at when I play it.

I take one of my biggest strap ends and position it and mark the spot. Then I mount the strap pin somewhere close to the mark.

Jeanpaul

UU VIP
UU VIP
I suppose Martin the ultra light should find a good doctor next time.lol

anthonyg

If anyone else finds themselves doing this you should consider staplocks as a solution before just drilling another hole anyway.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
If anyone else finds themselves doing this you should consider staplocks as a solution before just drilling another hole anyway.
Do you know of any that are small enough for a uke. All of the ones I looked at were huge. Mostly for solid electric guitars and bases. But some for acoustic guitars as well.

Both were way too big for a tenor uke.

anthonyg

Do you know of any that are small enough for a uke. All of the ones I looked at were huge. Mostly for solid electric guitars and bases. But some for acoustic guitars as well.

Both were way too big for a tenor uke.
They are largish for sure, which is why I said you should consider them. Whether they are too large is up to the user to decide.

EDIT: and I should add. The staplock PIN, that you screw into the instrument isn't that large at all. No bigger than many standard strap pins. The piece attached to the strap however is a bit chunky.

Last edited:

M3Ukulele

Six tenors and only my TT has conventional strap Pin in end block. I used small Mando line strap and rigged up nice Velcro attachment to headstock. Works great.

But……my preferred strap in sound hole strap. No mods required. Put it over you head. Bring it under uke and hook to sound hole. Done And simple.

I have seem suitable strap locks on the smaller side that would work if doing the conventional strap.

don’t beat yourself up too much!

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
In my experience, the culprit is the strap hole. When any of mine slips on the button too easily, I know it's going to slip off that easily, so I punch a new hole on the leather of the strap and cut a much smaller slit, which grips the button much better. I also have a separate strap for each uke so that the hole doesn't get stretched having to move it from uke to uke.

I tried a classic guitar style sound hole strap, but it forces me to hold the uke all the time or it fall. With two strap buttons, I don't have to hold the uke, I can even slide around my back when moving around, via Johnny Cash.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
I use 2" wide guitar straps on all of my tenors. They are more comfortable for me than the more usual 1-1/2" wide ukulele straps.

I tried the sound hole straps and as Michael said, it's just too easy for me to stand up or have my hands full and have the uke fall to the floor.

Attaching a strap to the headstock works okay. I did that for the first year I played ukes. Had a number of leather strap extensions that went around the head, under the strings above the nut, or under the strings and top tuner pegs. Had a button on the extension that worked very well. Much nicer than a shoelace. But I found it somewhat distracting to have the strap attached there. I liked the pin on the side of the heel much better. That's were all of my ukes have a strap button.

If the hole in the strap end starts to get too loose, especially on the PU faux leather ends that seem to get loose quickly, I use a silicone washer strap lock. Easy peasy.

I also use Tapastring Strap Keepers on my ukes with pickups. It fits over the jack in the butt, and prevents the strap from unscrewing the jack. Works a treat.