Medical MJ where do you stand

arethamorce

Reaction score
Moderator note:

The original post here was spam, plain and simple. I have deleted the account, but cannot not delete the original post without deleting the rest of the thread. I didn't want to do THAT though, because I really LIKE the rest of the thread!

I'm going to look a little more into my options for cleaning this up. In the meantime,I 've edited it to instead feature this placeholder post to both nullify the SEO benefit of their span attempt, and to note the events that have brought us here. 🙂

Please carry on or not at your leisure, with my delighted gratitude at your spinning spam into gold!

Best,
Tim
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
As a retired hospice nurse, I'm all for it. I've had dozens of patients who could have benefited from it, instead of using many doses of morphine and other opiods, and ativan, an anti anxiety med.
I can tell you it's very safe, non habit forming, and there are no withdrawal symptoms if use is stopped. I did have a few patients that used it with their own suppliers, and they were helped greatly.
And, when I was a pot user, I enjoyed the high thoroughly. Never a hangover! Never a bad trip. No constipation. And it was cheap.
The Big Pharma jerks are trying to stop CBD, get it banned.

Last edited:
I've seen too many people helped by medical cannabis to doubt its efficacy. And with thirty-five states with medical cannabis laws on the books I think a lot of people agree. And I'm all for anything that will help reduce the arthritis pain in my fretting hand. Unfortunately with reefer madness propaganda and the low hanging fruit of easy money (pot arrests, asset forfeitures, etc.) the science gets ignored.

Genesis 1:29; Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

How can a plant be illegal? Maybe I missed the annotation that said "except the devils lettuce for that be evil"

Genesis 1:29; Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

How can a plant be illegal? Maybe I missed the annotation that said "except the devils lettuce for that be evil"

I do question this. Tobacco is a plant, and is pure poison when dipped, chewed, smoked. It has killed millions of people, and crippled many. It should be illegal!

How do we account for stinging nettle, poison ivy, hemlock, deadly nightshade. . .? Perhaps God didn't do Her research.
In any case, I'm not gonna eat that salad.

I do question this. Tobacco is a plant, and is pure poison when dipped, chewed, smoked. It has killed millions of people, and crippled many. It should be illegal!

If I take a poppy, score the sides to collect the sap and dry it I get opium. Should poppies be illegal too? A plant should not be illegal - it's just a part of nature. However, if a person wants to be dumb and smoke/chew/dip said plant, then that's their prerogative. Being dumb isn't illegal, is it?

I don't see anything positive in cannabis as I was addicted in my youth and recovering from wasted years and getting my life back together was a slow process. Many friends were not as fortunate. As for medical use I will accept that once it has undergone the same rigorous process of scientific trials and approvals as any other pharmaceutical medication.

trials and approvals as any other pharmaceutical medication.

The whole point is it is not a pharmaceutical!

I also look back on my wasted youth eating too much and having unlimited coffee. Addiction is tough.

I object to ALL victimless crimes, including drug related crimes. I don't want to pay for the law enforcement, courts, probation/parole, and incarceration. It all costs a fortune, and I don't want to pay for any of it. I'll support anyone who wants to fight an addiction, or needs treatment. And, I'm willing to pay my share of those type of expenses for indigents. But I don't care what people do with and to their own bodies. Be my guest, go ahead and screw yourself up. I could care less. If you want to get clean, first you pay for your treatment. After your own resources are exhausted, I support the concept of public treatment centers. As far as "medical" MJ is concerned, the reason you might choose to use it is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. If it helps you, or you like it, or if you just want to "tune in, turn on, and drop out," I say, go for it.

Last edited:
As a person with a history of cancer, autoimmune disease and debilitating anxiety, depression and insomnia, I’m a big supporter (and user).

As a retired hospice nurse, I'm all for it. I've had dozens of patients who could have benefited from it, instead of using many doses of morphine and other opiods, and ativan, an anti anxiety med.
I can tell you it's very safe, non habit forming, and there are no withdrawal symptoms if use is stopped. I did have a few patients that used it with their own suppliers, and they were helped greatly.
And, when I was a pot user, I enjoyed the high thoroughly. Never a hangover! Never a bad trip. No constipation. And it was cheap.
The Big Pharma jerks are trying to stop CBD, get it banned.

That’s the problem with commerce in its many forms, they all like to protect their markets and they all want to stitch the customer (victim) up for every last penny that they can.

I’m not a recreational drug user and avoid what medication that I can. Pharmaceutical companies are not to be automatically trusted - sadly neither are Doctors - but there still is a lot of integrity in health care. I’m in favour of alternative treatments but their validation isn’t always easy and the Pharmaceutical companies have a commercial interest in only their products being legal - guess what happens.

I don't see anything positive in cannabis as I was addicted in my youth and recovering from wasted years and getting my life back together was a slow process. Many friends were not as fortunate. As for medical use I will accept that once it has undergone the same rigorous process of scientific trials and approvals as any other pharmaceutical medication.

Addicted to cannabis? I spent a lot of the sixties and seventies smoking weed almost daily and had no trouble stopping. Many of my friends were involved in the drug culture of the day, but none were addicted to cannabis. I found that when the people I hung out with were no longer smoking weed, I no longer had the desire. There were no withdrawal symptoms and I occasionally have had a social toke since, but have no desire to get stoned.
I have been addicted to tobacco and found it extremely difficult to overcome.
I have close friends who are alcoholics. Some have stopped drinking and some have still not reached bottom.
It's not that I don't believe it's possible to be addicted to cannabis, I just think tobacco and alcohol are far worse threats.
My wife has never smoked dope, but, on the advice of her doctor, she uses CBD oil to ease the pain in her leg.

Interesting that this whole slightly unusual conversation seems tohave developed from a spam post.

I am all for legalisation of all drugs. If we removed the criminality of drugs, most organised crime would vanish. All that misery gone.

Interesting that this whole slightly unusual conversation seems tohave developed from a spam post.

I am all for legalisation of all drugs. If we removed the criminality of drugs, most organised crime would vanish. All that misery gone.

Organised crime will always be with us in some form, the people involved will find other ways to receive income that doesn’t involve harder ‘honest’ work. That said I would definitely agree that regulation rather than criminalisation is the better way to go. I also think that reducing opportunities for organised crime is good, and I’d like to see prison being less about incarceration and more about correction and rehabilitation - in the long run that saves society money too.

Crime, we thankfully don’t do politics on UU but in my experience of recent decades the biggest thieves tend to wear suits and hide amongst similarly dressed honest business men and women. Oh dear thread drift, and from a moderate voter too.

Yes, a spam post, somethings good things do come out of bad.

Last edited:
Addicted to cannabis? I spent a lot of the sixties and seventies smoking weed almost daily and had no trouble stopping. Many of my friends were involved in the drug culture of the day, but none were addicted to cannabis. I found that when the people I hung out with were no longer smoking weed, I no longer had the desire. There were no withdrawal symptoms and I occasionally have had a social toke since, but have no desire to get stoned.
I have been addicted to tobacco and found it extremely difficult to overcome.
I have close friends who are alcoholics. Some have stopped drinking and some have still not reached bottom.
It's not that I don't believe it's possible to be addicted to cannabis, I just think tobacco and alcohol are far worse threats.
My wife has never smoked dope, but, on the advice of her doctor, she uses CBD oil to ease the pain in her leg.

Agreed. I have known for years that MJ is not physiologically addicting. However, this is not to say that it cant be psychologically addicting. I call it "attached" rather than addicted.
I was attached to it for a decade, and when I decided to quit, I quit cold turkey, because I started college as an adult and wanted to be sharp and motivated, all the time. Using the excuse of "addiction" to pot is a lazy cop out. I guess some of us need something to blame for our shortcomings.
MJ is a wonderful adjunct medication to opioid pain meds, and using it makes it easier for the patient to quit the opioids, which are highly addicting. There is no overdosing with MJ either, although with today's powerful strains, one can feel pretty darned high!

Top Bottom