Meet Vivienne, a very Grand Tenor by Pat Megowan

Doc_J

Meet ‘Vivienne’ built by Pat Megowan in Corvallis, Oregon. This is what I anticipate is my final uke commission. Age and over a decade of trialing different ukes have helped me refine what I like playing. I've had Vivienne a little less than 2 weeks.

Pat does not number his ukes but names them. I chose ‘Vivienne’ for a few personal reasons. It’s been a true joy to discuss ukulele building and choices with Pat as the build advanced. Really the build journey is half the fun. The design thought, detail and build considerations by Pat are truly outstanding and amazing.

My first impression of Vivienne is WOW!!! I love everything about Vivienne! I am delighted with Vivienne. But, first let me give you some visible details. She’s gorgeous. But she sounds even better!

Vivienne is a Grand Tenor (think baritone width, tenor depth, mid-way 19” scale). (Okay this is within most baritone specs.) Her back and sides are mahogany wood from an early cut of “The Tree” that Pat acquired from another long-time, highly respected guitar luthier. The top is Rowdy Creek salvage redwood. There is a side port, the binding and end graft, and string-through bridge are Madagascar rosewood. The rosette is custom selected Paua. Honduran mahogany neck, bone nut and saddle

Fretboard has 18 frets (13 to the body), and is of master grade ebony with EVO gold fret wire. Front Markers are White MOP ‘twinkling’ style stars, one @ 7th, two at 12th fret by Larry Robinson. Side dots are gold MOP (5,7,10,12). The head plate is also Madagascar rosewood with a gold MOP crescent moon inlay (Pat Megowan's logo). Tuning machines are UPTL gold w/black knobs.

Never have I heard a new ukulele sound so open and projecting on first play. Amazing!
Her tone is warm and yet there is crispness to the trebles (often lost on warm sounding ukes). She is very responsive. Vivienne has a very well-balanced sound across the strings, broad and full, nice resonance as well.

Her voice is strong and pleasing, she can keep up with any baritone. But her voice is not guitar-ish (as many baritones are). Vivienne has a great uke sound quality to her. The Rowdy Creek redwood paired exceptionally well with the Tree mahogany body.

The neck feels wonderful. The depth of the body is very comfortable as well. Vivienne is so easy and enjoyable to play. Really, I could go on.
A sound sample, half step up from DGBE

P1090634 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090636 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090637 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090644 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090645 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090641 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090639 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090640 by hejenkins, on Flickr

Last edited:

Jan D

I have a number of friends here in Corvallis who own amazing ukuleles made by Pat, so I’m not surprised to hear how pleased you are with your Vivienne. She is simply stunning!

Sporky

Vivienne is a beautiful beast. Congratulations and here's to many happy years 🎉

Teddy

This is what I anticipate is my final uke commission.

Oh that's a cute thought 🤣

In all seriousness, that's a beautiful uke and great write up! Thanks for a sound sample too.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
What a stunner Hodge. Sounds as good as it looks. Congratulations.

rafter

The Tree! That's pretty awesome. I'd like to try a redwood top someday, but that quilted mahogany is something else.

Voran

Oooooh, NICE uke. Looks beautiful and sounds gorgeous...warm, but piercing too. Almost like a human contralto.

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Meet ‘Vivienne’ built by Pat Megowan in Corvallis, Oregon. This is what I anticipate is my final uke commission. Age and over a decade of trialing different ukes have helped me refine what I like playing. I've had Vivienne a little less than 2 weeks.

Pat does not number his ukes but names them. I chose ‘Vivienne’ for a few personal reasons. It’s been a true joy to discuss ukulele building and choices with Pat as the build advanced. Really the build journey is half the fun. The design thought, detail and build considerations by Pat are truly outstanding and amazing.

My first impression of Vivienne is WOW!!! I love everything about Vivienne! I am delighted with Vivienne. But, first let me give you some visible details. She’s gorgeous. But she sounds even better!

Vivienne is a Grand Tenor (think baritone width, tenor depth, mid-way 19” scale). (Okay this is within most baritone specs.) Her back and sides are mahogany wood from an early cut of “The Tree” that Pat acquired from another long-time, highly respected guitar luthier. The top is Rowdy Creek salvage redwood. There is a side port, the binding and end graft, and string-through bridge are Madagascar rosewood. The rosette is custom selected Paua. Honduran mahogany neck, bone nut and saddle

Fretboard has 18 frets (13 to the body), and is of master grade ebony with EVO gold fret wire. Front Markers are White MOP ‘twinkling’ style stars, one @ 7th, two at 12th fret by Larry Robinson. Side dots are gold MOP (5,7,10,12). The head plate is also Madagascar rosewood with a gold MOP crescent moon inlay (Pat Megowan's logo). Tuning machines are UPTL gold w/black knobs.

Never have I heard a new ukulele sound so open and projecting on first play. Amazing!
Her tone is warm and yet there is crispness to the trebles (often lost on warm sounding ukes). She is very responsive. Vivienne has a very well-balanced sound across the strings, broad and full, nice resonance as well.

Her voice is strong and pleasing, she can keep up with any baritone. But her voice is not guitar-ish (as many baritones are). Vivienne has a great uke sound quality to her. The Rowdy Creek redwood paired exceptionally well with the Tree mahogany body.

The neck feels wonderful. The depth of the body is very comfortable as well. Vivienne is so easy and enjoyable to play. Really, I could go on.
A sound sample, half step up from DGBE

P1090634 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090636 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090637 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090644 by hejenkins, on Flickr

P1090645 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090641 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090639 by hejenkins, on Flickr
P1090640 by hejenkins, on Flickr
You have sampled some of the best over the years! Your language itself is a work of art! I can understand how special this must be. Congrats! I am guessing DGBE?

Doc_J

You have sampled some of the best over the years! Your language itself is a work of art! I can understand how special this must be. Congrats! I am guessing DGBE?
Thank you. I started playing Vivienne with DGBE but the sample was tuned to D# Ab C F. I am slowly tuning her up to find where she sounds best to me.

M3Ukulele

Congratulations Hodge. Beautiful looking and sounding Uke. I too like the larger body for sound projects. It’s been interesting these last ten years watching your journey, see your ukuleles, ……you have owned some of the best. You’ve sold some of the best. It is nice you have found something special. I know a lot of us have learned a lot by following your build. Enjoy!