Mens Fashion - What to Wear?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
OK, I know. At my age (76) who the hell cares? But vanity goes by many names, and I suppose mine is one of them. When I was working, I wore suits and white shirts with neckties, and wingtip shoes. When I retired, I had 13 suits hanging in my closet. Now I have 0. For the last umpty ump years I've been wearing blue jeans and T-Shirts. The T's have all been subject oriented, with sayings and pictures revealing my interests, mostly Ukuleles and motorcycles. Now, my wife says she's sick of the way I look, and wants to see a change.

So, just now I went onto the Dockers website and ordered six pairs of slacks in tan, kaki, and brown colors. Then, I went to Macy's website and ordered eight of their Club Room Polo Shirts, one in each color. So, from now on that will be my "look." It will be a bit dressier and conservative looking than jeans and loud T's. I did make sure to get relaxed fit and large sizes for casual comfort.

How did I do? What does the Uke set think of this change? I suppose it means I will have to start wearing my felt Stetson instead of the straw one. I, myself, am tired of wearing ball caps. Cowboy hats are so much better!

Sounds like a fine wardrobe. Adding an Aloha shirt to go with the khaki pants would lock down your ukulele man persona.

Well, I would have gone with your original look.

Which goes to show, only your wife's opinion counts here.

Your original look pretty much describes me. Your response to the edict from Central Command sounds entirely appropriate, but don't dispose of your 'T' shirts. There will still be times when the old you will assert himself.

It sounds like you chose wisely. We stopped wearing suits regularly where I worked several years ago, and I began wearing button-down dress shirts (solids if I ever thought I'd need to wear a tie and, on less formal days, prints) to work with Dockers in black, navy, or olive green. I've been wearing polo shirts with jeans or khakis as non-work attire for years, and a few years ago I began to mix in Aloha shirts (which run the gamut from subdued to wild; I prefer the subdued side of the spectrum). I was never one for loud t-shirts; I have a few "quiet" t-shirts that I wear occasionally. I'm 66 and recently retired. Congratulations on your new wardrobe!

Since COVID, my daily garb has been jeans or cargo shorts and a hoody or T-shirt, depending on the weather. I still have a few ties and sports jackets in case someone dies or gets married. Desert boots or running shoes, sandals in summer.
Occasionally I'll grab one of the Hawaiian shirts or collarless shirts that I used on stage when I was gigging. I have only played on stage twice since COVID and I believe that, at 77, I'll play out a lot less even after COVID restrictions are all lifted, but I do love those Hawaiian shirts (the alternative to a diet).

Last edited:
OK, I know. At my age (76) who the hell cares? But vanity goes by many names, and I suppose mine is one of them. When I was working, I wore suits and white shirts with neckties, and wingtip shoes. When I retired, I had 13 suits hanging in my closet. Now I have 0. For the last umpty ump years I've been wearing blue jeans and T-Shirts. The T's have all been subject oriented, with sayings and pictures revealing my interests, mostly Ukuleles and motorcycles. Now, my wife says she's sick of the way I look, and wants to see a change.

So, just now I went onto the Dockers website and ordered six pairs of slacks in tan, kaki, and brown colors. Then, I went to Macy's website and ordered eight of their Club Room Polo Shirts, one in each color. So, from now on that will be my "look." It will be a bit dressier and conservative looking than jeans and loud T's. I did make sure to get relaxed fit and large sizes for casual comfort.

How did I do? What does the Uke set think of this change? I suppose it means I will have to start wearing my felt Stetson instead of the straw one. I, myself, am tired of wearing ball caps. Cowboy hats are so much better!
Ride your bike and pack an ukulele with you. That’s how u dress.

unko Dennis never cared.

As I love Hawaii I had good opportunity to pick up a selection of nice Aloha shirts on my travels. I wear these in the office in summer, and also for performances with my ukes along with one of the paper Leis courtesy of the Lei ladies at Ala Moana mall.

OK! I would normally wear jeans and Doc Martens and a sloppy sweater .... and I am a woman (and I refuse to say how old I am!) Why are the men getting all the air space here????

For me it's tee and golf shirts with shorts in the Summer. For Winter it's hooded sweatshirts, flannel, long pants and anything else I can throw on.

Golf shirts and khaki for me is dressing up. I go more for long sleeve Tee in solid colors. Or merino crew neck shirts.

When you’re my age it doesn’t matter what one wears. Nobody looks at you anyway. I am gonna wear out all my T-shirts or wear them under some other shirt. No more T-shirts!

Just ordered a Tommy Bahama Panama Hat to complete my new look! I also got two new pairs of Keen shoes. They are more or less a solid brown and black, and look a lot less like hiking boots than my others. Now I must decide, should I carry a "man bag," or stick with my trusty old wallet? Not that there's much left in it now! :oops:

You can’t go wrong with khakis and polos. I usually wear khakis in warm weather with aloha shirts and jeans with flannels in cold weather.

But I have to have a few polos in the closet for work trips. They’re versatile and classy.

I'm a vest and irish flatcap type of person.

But that may be because I don't have enough Ukulele themed tshirts to wear around the house. But I treat the tshirts like concert shirts. Wear them when you are feeling in the mood. Sometimes just being in the mood makes for a better playing experience.

Top Bottom