Metal Clay and Kumihimo (Japanese Braiding)

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I know, two separate things. But has anyone messed around with any of these mediums? I'd love to use metal clay to make jewelry but it's completely out of my budget. You'd need a kiln and that's like $700, lol. It's just so cool. You get this clay that after you have molded it and fire it, it turns into 99% silver/bronze/copper depending on the type you use. Kumihimo is Japanese braiding and looks pretty easy to do with a small disk loom. I ordered a small starter kit off of Amazon for $10. I'd love to be able to make PMC jewelry and use the kumihimo braids with it.

Mel-- I have an uber fascenation with that as well-- theres actually a type of pmc you can fire without a kiln-- its with your stove or a blowtorch with this crucible thing you can buy :)

I'd love to do it, but my apartment has NO ventilation...

You can use Art Clay with a torch but I just learned today you can use a ultralite beehive kiln which goes for about $180. Still waaaay out of my budget but good to know for the future.

I was just reading a book about metal clay. I REALLY want to try it too, but I don't have the funds either. :p

Top Bottom