Missing my Hawaii home...

RuckMonkey

Hi all. I'm a novice guitar player and Pacific Islander by blood. I lived on Oahu for the past couple of years but recently moved to Japan and now I'm dreadfully missing the sun, surf, and poke.

I always loved the sound of a uke and while I was in Hawaii I fell even more in love with it. One of my friends would play his uke occassionally while we worked on our scooters in his garage and it was great. Nothing better than sitting around drinking a beer and listening to a friend strum out a tune.

Now that I've been away from Hawaii for a year my heart keeps pulling me back and since the surf is WAY too cold here in Northern Japan, I'm just going to have to get myself a uke to think of home.

Currently I'm looking into the Lanikai SM-CE Custom Series Spalted Mango Soprano and some of the KoAlohas. I haven't found anyone on here yet who has one of the model of Lanikai I'm interested in, but, I haven't had much time to really start diggin in yet.

I'll keep you posted as I finally get myself a sweet uke setup! :D

**edit**
I'm a terribly impatient person, so I just pulled the trigger and got myself Makala MK-C beginner package from Hawaii Music Supply. I know this is a really inexpensive beginner uke, but, I'm just giving myself a quick fix until my friend Achi gets time to go uke shopping for me. He has been playing for years and years and offered to go and find me a mid-level uke with as sweet a sound as he could get. So, I totally went little with my uke purchase because I'm planning on spending around $200 or more for my actual good uke that Achi will help me find.

Funny thing is I used to drive past that store ALL THE TIME back and forth from work and when I was cruising to North Shore on my scooter with my friends. I always wanted to go in there but for some odd reason I was always intimidated. Strange I know. I'm seriously kicking myself in the rear right now on this all things considered since I could have had a Uke of my own for at least three years now if I'd just gone in! Heck, I used to sit in Maui Mikes just down the street eating lunch and thinking about how cool it would be to have a uke of my own to fiddle with while I was at the beach with my friends. As they always say, hindsight is 20/20, but at least now I'll be golden when I get to go home to Hawaii again.

IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D IMG_0931.jpg

Last edited:

Kanaka916

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aloha E Kakou . . . there's a lot of former 808 residents who reside here in Cali and other state. We all share your feelings about our beloved state. You went there for a reason and just gotta make the most of it. For some reason or other, you'll always hook up with another kamaaina. There's also a good handful of local boys here on UU. E Komo Mai to da Undahgroun . . .

Trinimon

Welcome to the UU. I'm missing Hawaii dreadfully and I'm not even a local. :p

RuckMonkey

OMG OMG OMG OMG! My uke shipped today from Hawaii Music Supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :

Nickie

Welcome to UU and congrats on the new uke. I've never understood what could make an Islander leave the Islands... Hmmm, I wonder if they need nurses down there?

808boy

Aloha RuckMonkey,
E Komo Mai Bruddah. As Kanaka916 said, lots of local boys on here live on the "Continent". I myself is a transplanted Kalihi boy living in NorCal for the past 44 years. You gonna have good fun here, garans!........................BO.............

Trinimon

Congrats on the new uke. Now the hard part is waiting for it to arrive. I hate buying stuff during the Christmas time 'cause of delivery delays etc. Grrrr!

RuckMonkey

Welcome to UU and congrats on the new uke. I've never understood what could make an Islander leave the Islands... Hmmm, I wonder if they need nurses down there?
Trust me, if it was my choice, I wouldn't have left, but, work is work. Work said you're going to Japan, so, to Japan I went. Maybe I'll go back again soon. I hope.