Mixing strings?

OpihiMan

Anyone mix different strings on your uke? Put on a Worth fluoro set on my Ohana tenor and found the C string buzzing. I like the action/height of the strings, so I didn't want to raise the nut slot. Changed the C string to a Martin fluoro and the buzzing stopped.

Not sure if this is a common practice and was wondering if anyone had success with mixing different string brands. Mahalo.

EDW

I would say whatever works for you, your instrument and your taste should guide your decision. The manufacturer makes up a combination, but that is not to say it is perfect for every situation.

merlin666

I have a mix of Aquila on my tenor: red low G, super Nylgut C and E, and New Nylgut A. They are similar enough that it's not annoying, but I would not want to mix strings of completely different materials as thickness, hardness, and sound might be too much off. I think that fluoro strings from different brands are all similar enough for mixing.

Dohle

Certainly not unheard of, although I think the more common reason is often that the player prefers either the tension or the tone of a particular string. I've mostly seen professional players do this. As a complete amateur, I just use the string sets I prefer the most.

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Practically all of my ukes have mixed sets. On baritones, I prefer flat wounds on D & G, fluorocarbon on the B, and nylon on the E :) I mostly buy single strings and explore different tensions until I find the best 4 strings that work to my satisfaction.

Wiggy

Pretty much like Mezcalero... Me, I always have a problem with the 2nd string - no matter the scale or tuning. They always seem to be lifeless. But I have a bag full of "takes-off" and spares and various classical guitar set to pick from. When I get befuzzeled, I do find my way with the resources of Strings By Mail and Just Strings. I can cure my ills :)

Last edited:

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
I just provided this answer to another post in this section and thought it would be helpful:
I have been using Thomastik-Infeld chrome flat wound C strings for years now. It’s the CF27 (.027). You can buy single strings from strings by mail.com. I have a ‘Frankenstein’ custom set of the TI’s bases and Savarez trebles made up for me by them. These work particularly well if you play amplified a lot, as I do.