Modern Martin S1 Review

I was always impressed with what this guy did. He started with an SK38, died the fretboard, removed the headstock decal and it looks great. He describes the mods in the replies to the comments.

I like the look! Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
The OP’s experience highlights a particular value in visiting and buying from a bricks and mortar store: the same (model) instrument can be and too often is different and some instruments should never have got past the factory’s QA department but did. Of course beware of glib salesmen and pressure to buy; go to a store to thoroughly test and select and if that’s not happening then walk away.

I rarely buy instruments in a store visit, to an extent that’s a reflection of my preferences and then there’s the lack of a suitable store to visit within easy travel time. Instead I take pot luck on-line with second hand instruments and have ended up sorting many out with pleasing results :), nothing near as expensive as an S1 though. Mail ordering a new Uke is something that I’ve also done but, and I might have been unlucky, the shop reputations and assurances of high quality have not proven reliable … someone must end up buying the Ukes that the in-store customers reject. My biggest lack of luck with mail order was with my most expensive new instrument and in hindsight I should have made a fuss and sent it back.

Bruko’s, I’ve had a few through my hands but, after a good set-up and test, always sold them on again and just about covered my out of pocket costs. I liked the very high manufacturing quality of my Brukos (No 6’s), but mine were all very percussive and (to my ear) dominated by the A string; some might really like that but it wasn’t what I was looking for, YMMV. WW, a well known member here on UU, plays a No 6 but he hand picked his and has played it for years and years … the same instrument can be different and there’s a particular value in visiting and buying from a bricks and mortar store.

Good luck with the S1; there might be better instruments out there and some might be better value but I feel sure that an S1 is amongst the better Sopranos available … and so long as one can afford it the price is acceptable enough.

Last edited:
The OP’s experience highlights a particular value in visiting and buying from a bricks and mortar store: the same (model) instrument can be and too often is different and some instruments should never have got past the factory’s QA department but did. Of course beware of glib salesmen and pressure to buy; go to a store to thoroughly test and select and if that’s not happening then walk away.

I rarely buy instruments in a store visit, to an extent that’s a reflection of my preferences and then there’s the lack of a suitable store to visit within easy travel time. Instead I take pot luck on-line with second hand instruments and have ended up sorting many out with pleasing results :), nothing near as expensive as an S1 though. Mail ordering a new Uke is something that I’ve also done but, and I might have been unlucky, the shop reputations and assurances of high quality have not proven reliable … someone must end up buying the Ukes that the in-store customers reject. My biggest lack of luck with mail order was with my most expensive new instrument and in hindsight I should have made a fuss and sent it back.

Bruko’s, I’ve had a few through my hands but, after a good set-up and test, always sold them on again and just about covered my out of pocket costs. I liked the very high manufacturing quality of my Brukos (No 6’s), but mine were all very percussive and (to my ear) dominated by the A string; some might really like that but it wasn’t what I was looking for, YMMV. WW, a well known member here on UU, plays a No 6 but he hand picked his and has played it for years and years … the same instrument can be different and there’s a particular value in visiting and buying from a bricks and mortar store.

Good luck with the S1; there might be better instruments out there and some might be better value but I feel sure that an S1 is amongst the better Sopranos available … and so long as one can afford it the price is acceptable enough.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Graham! I have ordered most of my ukes online and most of the time I found I didn’t bond with those particular units, with one exception. The S1 is the first model I’ve had the luxury to try in person first and I enjoyed that because I only bonded with the one. Besides the QC issues I highlighted in my original post, they were all otherwise nice units with a slightly different personality each. But I find that difference in personality true of any wooden instrument model I’ve seen.

Yes the Brüko has a reputation for a distinct voice, I really wonder what I would have thought about it. If I had had more local options I’ve wondered if I would have bought the S1, over say a Pono, Brüko, Kiwaya, Ken Timms, etc...but I’m thinking I still would have chosen the S1 for having that exact styling and voice that I wanted.

I know it’s not a K-brand or anything like that in terms of price, but it is indeed an expensive instrument, at least to me...I have sold a few ukes I wasn’t playing to help fund it and it still hurt a bit ;-) But yes, I don’t find it overpriced at the same time for what you get if that makes sense.

Last edited:
If someone showed me the S1 and said it was $500 cdn, made in generic Mexico factory from solid koa with one piece neck dovetail joined, I'd play it and say it was a very nice uke I bet. That Martin logo puts a target on it though. So nitpicking will happen. I think it's fair because Martin absolutely prints money by throwing its name around and I think they deserve criticism if it doesn't live up to the brand hype.

If someone showed me the S1 and said it was $500 cdn, made in generic Mexico factory from solid koa with one piece neck dovetail joined, I'd play it and say it was a very nice uke I bet. That Martin logo puts a target on it though. So nitpicking will happen. I think it's fair because Martin absolutely prints money by throwing its name around and I think they deserve criticism if it doesn't live up to the brand hype.
How would you personally change the S1 to make it live up to the brand hype, baconsalad? :)

I like that you take action instead of grumbling :) I agree, these instruments are meant to be adjusted, and played for comfort.
Sanding the A-side edge of the fretboard, and fret ends, is a nice way to simulate years of playing.

I just think when you come home from the store with a new Martin instrument you should not have to make a stop along the way to buy sandpaper for it.
Fair enough (y)

I don’t think the fretboard edge absolutely needs it, I showed it to my husband compared to the Ohana which has a slightly rounded edge and he looked at me like I was grasping at straws. He thought it was a pretty subtle difference.

But yes, the sharp-ish frets do need it for sure.

The stock instrument Martin is fine and playable as is. There are likely many who never worry about those things. It is really a matter of personal taste and preference.

Congrats on getting a really nice player that you will enjoy for many years!

The stock instrument Martin is fine and playable as is. There are likely many who never worry about those things. It is really a matter of personal taste and preference.

Congrats on getting a really nice player that you will enjoy for many years!
Thanks so much EDW! I’m very happy with it :)

Reactions: EDW
The thing is, Martin gained their reputation and respect with the instruments they used to make. If they had started up in the '70's. I sincerely doubt they'd have the reputation they do today. Not only uke's- but especially guitars. I used to be friends with the foreman of the repair shop there at Martin- in Nazareth- and have been there... I know the standards those folks have and live up to. Trouble is, the production line is so concerned with quantity and price that what they used to turn out- no longer exists. Furthermore, the lifetime warranty forces them to overbuild the instruments.

The thing is, Martin gained their reputation and respect with the instruments they used to make. If they had started up in the '70's. I sincerely doubt they'd have the reputation they do today. Not only uke's- but especially guitars. I used to be friends with the foreman of the repair shop there at Martin- in Nazareth- and have been there... I know the standards those folks have and live up to. Trouble is, the production line is so concerned with quantity and price that what they used to turn out- no longer exists. Furthermore, the lifetime warranty forces them to overbuild the instruments.
Thanks for weighing in MarTay6. From what others tell me repeatedly here, vintage Martins are better than new and the brand did build their reputation on those early instruments (although I have no experience with vintage Martins, so I’m relying on what I’m told ;)). I do enjoy vintage items in my life and often find them generally of higher quality than their newer counterparts in almost any brand. But it’s extremely rare that I find a brand is “making them like they used to,” which is such a shame. Martin appears to be no different.

On the other hand, even in spite of the issues in the QC department, I think they would have a decent reputation if they had started as a ukulele maker in the current age. Not stellar, but decent. They aren’t as lightweight as the old ones, but it’s still the lightest, non-overbuilt uke I’ve had and the sound is really my favourite so far. This is all just based on my limited experience though.

I would love the opportunity to own and thoroughly compare the sound of my modern S1 with a vintage S1 or S0, although the comparison would ultimately be unfair because this one hasn’t had decades or over a century to open up. But yes, I wouldn’t be surprised that there is a difference in build quality between the two, because that seems to be the unfortunate way of the future across most large-scale brands.

My dream uke would probably be a Kamaka, a vintage Martin...or a luthier-build because I enjoy supporting artisans. That kind of expense might need to be down the road. But then I play my S1 and think, I really don’t know how I would like the sound to be any different!

Last edited:
My dream uke would probably be a Kamaka, a vintage Martin...or a luthier-build because I enjoy supporting artisans. That kind of expense might need to be down the road. But then I play my S1 and think, I really don’t know how I would like the sound to be any different!
Everyone, it seems, gets hung up on perfection or, if not that, having the very best possible. To my mind that’s really not a helpful ideology. The S1 might not be the very best Uke in the World but it’s a darn good one and one of them brings you joy. I’d be delighted to have an S1 and honestly too many people chase after rainbows, seeking the ever more perfect, when instead they could be enjoying the much that they already have.

Everyone, it seems, gets hung up on perfection or, if not that, having the very best possible. To my mind that’s really not a helpful ideology. The S1 might not be the very best Uke in the World but it’s a darn good one and one of them brings you joy. I’d be delighted to have an S1 and honestly too many people chase after rainbows, seeking the ever more perfect, when instead they could be enjoying the much that they already have.
Agreed Graham. I believe in enjoying what one has. I have had certain dream ukes in mind that I wanted to try out almost out of curiosity but after purchasing the S1, I’m thinking this might be the one for me.

Agreed Graham. I believe in enjoying what one has. I have had certain dream ukes in mind that I wanted to try out almost out of curiosity but after purchasing the S1, I’m thinking this might be the one for me.
Wonderful! You just freed up a lot of room in your mind to use improving your playing. It’s difficult to chase the imaginary perfect ukulele and practice the one you have at the same time. You end up shopping most of the time. And the more you play that Martin, the better it will sound—and look—as it gets a patina of wear from your hands, and even possibly a few nicks and dings.

This has to stop. You all are making me want a Martin- a vintage Martin at that.

So I finally had a chance to compare my S1 to a Pono, Kiwaya and vintage Martin as I had mentioned I wanted to do...and still happily walked away with my S1, which kind of surprised me.

Here’s my write-up of the experience:

Top Bottom