Modifying one of my guitars converted to a bass.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to swap parts on these two Strat mini 23" scale guitars. A few years ago I had one converted to a bass, I specifically chose it because it had the jack on top like standard Strat, but since I changed from a Sony wireless transmitter with a cable that goes to the jack, to a small Lekato pod style that is awkward in the top jack, I bought an open box Strat Mini guitar with the jack on the lower edge. I'm swapping all the parts as soon as I receive the Kala/Galli 23" flatwound nylon core I always use (yes, they work with magnetic pickups).

Strat swap orig 1024.JPG

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Very cool!

I received the strings yesterday but Saturday I fell riding my stand up mobility scooter and got a hairline fracture above my right ankle, so I'm off my feet for a while.

I received the strings yesterday but Saturday I fell riding my stand up mobility scooter and got a hairline fracture above my right ankle, so I'm off my feet for a while.
Yikes 😬 Heal quickly! 👊🏻

Yikes 😬 Heal quickly! 👊🏻
Thanks Jim. Went back to Kaiser for a followup and they said there is a fracture on both sides of my ankle. They gave me an air cast and said to start walking on it as much as I can tolerate in the next few days, that it will probably take 4-6 weeks to heal. So in the next couple of days, I'll try and get the conversion started.

Been looking at this and wondering, how do you swap parts going from 6 strings to 4? Is the neck swapped? What about the bridge side? Maybe I'm seeing it wrong but it looks like the old one is a string through body?
As I mentioned, my idea was to get rid of the jack on the top, and to go to shorter flatwound strings that didn't need string through holes, so I just swapped all the parts; pickguard which includes the pots and switches, bridge and neck, plus I snipped the output jack wires and soldered them back. I did find out that these pickups lost volume with the nylon core flatwounds, which surprised me since they worked very well on two of my other magnetic pickup basses. My luthier said to bypass the middle and bridge pickup so that the neck pickup would be more sensitive. After all is said and done, I'm going to have custom 23" all metal flatwound strings made by Pyramid for all my magnetic pickup conversions so I don't have to contend with any magnetic pickup anomalies.

Ok...not all that detail is in your op. So yes, you swapped the necks. But no pic of the finished product?

Last edited:
Top Bottom