Moisture content of sides post-bending

Sporky

Reaction score
For my 2nd ukulele I'm trying to let the wood equilibrate a bit more before cutting/gluing. I'm curious though, when bending the sides I'm varying the moisture content wildly with vapor/heat - do you guys leave the bent sides to re-equilibrate for a while before assembly?

I do. It seems like a valid concern, although I do not recall hearing of anyone else doing so. I let the sides dry 24 hours clamped in the mold, and at least 24 hours out of the mold, and in a dry environment (<= 45% RH). May be overkill, but it gives me peace of mind.

Having cracked a few sides in my early building days, I have made it a routine to bend the sides before starting the rest of the construction. That gives them a few days to sit and relax in the holding form, and let me know not to put all the time into the back wood if the sides won't work. I think all the relevant moisture comes out during the bending anyway because I use a heat blanket for bending.

For my 2nd ukulele I'm trying to let the wood equilibrate a bit more before cutting/gluing. I'm curious though, when bending the sides I'm varying the moisture content wildly with vapor/heat - do you guys leave the bent sides to re-equilibrate for a while before assembly?I do not

I do not. When I finally get the sides bent to the shape I want, I go to the next step and attach them to the back. I'm afraid they would want to resume their straight shape if left on their own.

Top Bottom