Mold or solera?

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

I use molds so I can dial in the neck angle up/down/left/right.

I also use bolt on necks which makes (nitro) finishing easier.

Using molds/separate neck (regardless of attachment system) means if something goes wrong with either the body or neck I don't have to scrap them both.

With the integrated "spanish" method (ie using a Solera) if you cock up one part (say the neck), then its difficult to use the rest as is.

Of course, if all goes perfect, then both methods are as good as each other.

PS- i also use my molds as my side laminating molds.

tonyturley

Rather than add a new thread, I'm resurrecting this one. Anyone have any tips for laminating a plywood bed that is dead flat? I don't have access to large cast iron machine tables to use as a reference surface. I keep finding that the plywood pieces I cut tend to curl slightly, even those made from the more high grade hardwood plywood. I'm building my first ever Spanish Heel instrument, and would like to be able to do a dead straight glue-up when I glue in the neck and top.

Tukanu

Handmade 2B Hand Played
UU VIP
Rather than add a new thread, I'm resurrecting this one. Anyone have any tips for laminating a plywood bed that is dead flat? I don't have access to large cast iron machine tables to use as a reference surface. I keep finding that the plywood pieces I cut tend to curl slightly, even those made from the more high grade hardwood plywood. I'm building my first ever Spanish Heel instrument, and would like to be able to do a dead straight glue-up when I glue in the neck and top.
I use a dead-flat piece of plywood under the solera. It also makes it easy to hold in the bench clamp. DSCI0040.JPG

tonyturley

6 pieces of plywood being prepared for a new tenor mold. All of my previous tenors have been built in an open board format, like the StewMac kits. I've tried various permutations of the open board format, so I decided the next few tenor-size bodies will use a mold. These will still be Spanish heel instruments, built in a style like Heidi Litke builds in Robbie O'Brien's basic ukulele video course.

DSCF4426.JPG